Defensive Tech. Poll

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Defensive Tech. Poll (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want defensive tech.?

1. Yes (90 votes [93.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 93.75%

2. No (6 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Which Defensive techs would you want added?

1. Armored Components (41 votes [9.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.56%

2. Modular Armor (34 votes [7.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.93%

3. Reflective Armor (56 votes [13.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.05%

4. Reactive Armor (57 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

5. Hardened Armor (47 votes [10.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

6. Heavy Ferro (26 votes [6.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

7. Light Ferro (29 votes [6.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

8. Blue Shield-Dampener (26 votes [6.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

9. Laser AMS (70 votes [16.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.32%

10. Stealth Armor (38 votes [8.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.86%

11. I voted "No" (5 votes [1.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

1. Armored Components, extra internal on a single weapon/equipment. Needs some buffs to justify weight. http://www.sarna.net...ored_Components

2. Modular Armor, extra armor on an individual section. The simplest and most risk free option, imo. http://www.sarna.net...i/Modular_Armor

3. Reflective Armor, anti energy weapon armor. Would need to be nerfed/watered down to not be OP. http://www.sarna.net...eflective_Armor

4. Reactive Armor, anti ballistic weapon armor. Would need to be brought in line with Reflective. http://www.sarna.net.../Reactive_Armor

5. Hardened Armor, extra heavy armor, restricts movement. Good option, self-balancing. http://www.sarna.net.../Hardened_Armor

6. Heavy Ferro, heavier ferro. More armor but bulkier
http://www.sarna.net...o-Fibrous_Armor

7. Light Ferro, lighter ferro (IS attempt to recreate clan FF). http://www.sarna.net...o-Fibrous_Armor

8. Blue Shield Dampener, anti ppc shield, could be an anti energy shield you can activate for a limited time. Would need to be modified extensivly to be viable & not make PPCs extinct.
http://www.sarna.net...le_Field_Damper

9. Laser AMS, it's ams but with lasers. No ammo needs but increases heat. http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

10. Stealth Armor, Functions like a Null Signature system or ECM in MWO plus it hides a mechs heat. takes two slots in the arms, legs & STs and adds heat. It could function like super ECM in MWO or something. http://www.sarna.net...i/Stealth_Armor

Edited by TheArisen, 18 January 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Van Tuz

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Voting for Hardened armor only. Most of the other systems will add unnecessary clutter and will frontload newcomers with even more information.
Ockham's razor. "Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity"
Hardened armor is a component that can bring the most to the game with minimal complexity. Twice the armor, reduced acceleration/deceleration (to reduce its effectiveness in cover fighting) and reduced torso twist speed (to prevent it from being too effective when combined with damage rolling). This can allow making true spearhead mechs that can push trough "staring contest". Hardened armor can revive brawling.
Armored component brings almost nothing as mech limbs cannot be blown off via critical hits and weapon and ammo crits aren't something that should be removed from the game.
Modular Armor. First, it's a 3070 tech. Second, it's basically duplicating Hardened armor on the single component.
Reflective Armor / Reactive Armor I have nothing against these two but they would probably make FF armor obsolete.
Light FF/Heavy FF are minor variations of FF armor. They bring nothing new to the table. Also note that LFF provides less protection per ton and therefore each point of protection is technically heavier than FF and HFF.
Blue Shield Dampener it may be difficult to translate it into the real time and i have no idea how it will affect PPC/AC balance. Maybe as a consumable.
Stealth Armor again, difficult to translate. We can't simulate +1 penalty to hit because of direct player input and giving every mech a personal ECM is probably not a good idea.

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostVan Tuz, on 18 January 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Voting for Hardened armor only. Most of the other systems will add unnecessary clutter and will frontload newcomers with even more information.
Ockham's razor. "Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity"
Hardened armor is a component that can bring the most to the game with minimal complexity. Twice the armor, reduced acceleration/deceleration (to reduce its effectiveness in cover fighting) and reduced torso twist speed (to prevent it from being too effective when combined with damage rolling). This can allow making true spearhead mechs that can push trough "staring contest". Hardened armor can revive brawling.
Armored component brings almost nothing as mech limbs cannot be blown off via critical hits and weapon and ammo crits aren't something that should be removed from the game.
Modular Armor. First, it's a 3070 tech. Second, it's basically duplicating Hardened armor on the single component.
Reflective Armor / Reactive Armor I have nothing against these two but they would probably make FF armor obsolete.
Light FF/Heavy FF are minor variations of FF armor. They bring nothing new to the table. Also note that LFF provides less protection per ton and therefore each point of protection is technically heavier than FF and HFF.
Blue Shield Dampener it may be difficult to translate it into the real time and i have no idea how it will affect PPC/AC balance. Maybe as a consumable.
Stealth Armor again, difficult to translate. We can't simulate +1 penalty to hit because of direct player input and giving every mech a personal ECM is probably not a good idea.

Games like WoT are way more complicated with all their crew skills and equipment and they do pretty well.

The ability to make yourself harder to crit in exchange for slot and ammo isn't removing crits from the game just adding options and ACom would need to be buffed to justify the weight.

Hardened armor is good, agreed

Modular armor is really just welding armor plates onto your mech... 3070 might be pushing it but the timeline isn't super important anymore and for something as potentially good as this it can be bent.

#4 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

About the only one I can really see being a 'eh why not' is laser AMS.

Modular armor seems like it would reward min-maxing deadside or armorless arms mechs even more, particularly if they have good side torso hardpoints. Just slap on some modular armor and you're even more unstoppable, and those mechs that have to fully armor in order to bring reasonable payloads to the field are that much further behind, having to pay an even larger tonnage tax to keep up.

#5 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Laser AMS is the only thing I want. The different armor types would be way too hard to balance for not much depth added IMO.

#6 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostMonky, on 18 January 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

About the only one I can really see being a 'eh why not' is laser AMS.

Modular armor seems like it would reward min-maxing deadside or armorless arms mechs even more, particularly if they have good side torso hardpoints. Just slap on some modular armor and you're even more unstoppable, and those mechs that have to fully armor in order to bring reasonable payloads to the field are that much further behind, having to pay an even larger tonnage tax to keep up.

The thing is deadsiding mechs are getting merged because soon they'll get a 40% heat penalty instead of just 20%.

#7 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

I voted for LAMS; Reflective (better vs. Energy, worse vs. Ballistics); Reactive (better vs, Missiles, worse vs. Energy); and Hardened (better vs. Ballistics, worse vs. Missiles) Armors as I believe they could add a layer of strategy missing from the game.

Of course I would want it to be available in the new timeline.

#8 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:37 AM

This needs to be implemented. At a bare minimum reactive and reflective. Implementing this would force some serious build variation. Hate lrms no problem reactive armor is your friend. Tired of that LPL boat coring you in one shot reflective armor is your friend. Blue shield would be great as well. Now your weapon choice can be an asset or a huge detriment. Give us this. No reason to mess with/nerf reactive or reflective. It will still cost "slots" and thus could be a choice between endo and or custom armor.

On a side note the target data would have to include "armor type" as well. That way players could adjust fire accordingly.

Also it would be a buff to IS as they have the option of changing armor type. Clans would have to use IIC stuff to get the option.

Imagine a world where the backstabbing cheetah is only doing half damage. Imagine a world where the KDK3 is only doing half his normal damage. Imagine a world where the 2ERPPC Wall sniping Shadowcat the keeps getting blocked by a blue shield.

The extra armor options would be great for building "brawling mechs" or the outstanding "tip of the spear" Atlas.

All of these are great because they are game changers. I would pay to have these implemented.

Edited by Miles McQuiston, 19 January 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#9 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

I agree with Miles McQuiston.
MWO needs more variety and it would add some needed depth to combat, but there would also need to be options to prepare for matches. Be it in the form of a loadout save/load feature or by letting us choose a mech after a map and mode is decided.

Edited by Guile Votoms, 19 January 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hardened and modular armor drop the max speed of your mech isn't it?
This will make the full use of this "def tech" unreliable - think of the first mech you would add this?
Right: Atlas S - but with 4 ASRM6 and AC20 you have to drop reactor to add more armor -> even less speed

With reactive and reflective armor "catching" all kinds of attacks (even Gauss -reactive and PPC - reflective) you don't need the blue shield system.

Don't forget that both types consume a good chunk of internal spaces - so it might be offensive (ES) or defensive (Reactive, Reflective)

Heavy Ferro would be less common as the regular Ferro - ES is still the better choice.
Light Ferro on the other hand could be added to get some tiny additional ton of equipment into your mech.

very interesting is the armored component - hands down i would only use it for GaussRifles - and rather have CASEII for the rest.

Laser AMS - considering the "uses" of current AMS - people will start to rage when their LAMS overheat their Mech when they are moving through a tunnel

Stealth - already ingame with the Jesus Box

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 January 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

This will make the full use of this "def tech" unreliable - think of the first mech you would add this?
Right: Atlas S - but with 4 ASRM6 and AC20 you have to drop reactor to add more armor -> even less speed

With reactive and reflective armor "catching" all kinds of attacks (even Gauss -reactive and PPC - reflective) you don't need the blue shield system.

Don't forget that both types consume a good chunk of internal spaces - so it might be offensive (ES) or defensive (Reactive, Reflective)

Heavy Ferro would be less common as the regular Ferro - ES is still the better choice.
Light Ferro on the other hand could be added to get some tiny additional ton of equipment into your mech.

very interesting is the armored component - hands down i would only use it for GaussRifles - and rather have CASEII for the rest.

Laser AMS - considering the "uses" of current AMS - people will start to rage when their LAMS overheat their Mech when they are moving through a tunnel

Well hardened armor slowing your mech is one thing but I don't think it's needed for modular armor

#12 LtTr0g

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 January 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

people would have to bother using the turn off ams button

#13 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

I would love LAMS. Although I think everyone would start calling it LAMES! ><

I think they should all be added. Hopefuly by time they are viable timeline wise they things like reflective armor and crashing into buildings and physicall attacks is implemented along with falling and other needed aspects.

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Looks like a resounding yes to defensive tech with Laser ams leading followed by Reflective/Reactive and Hardened in 3rd

#15 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

I would like Endo Steel to have a hardened upgrade, in-game would be after 100 matches with that 'mech, and after that, you'd need to do a mission provided by PGI, taken from the Battletech storyline.

Hete is a guy complaining about disproportionately damage escalate Edit: Further justification: https://youtu.be/p7dg2L2zGxA?t=3m38s

I made a case for making the Critical Points so destructive giving more endurance to the Internal Structure, to increase armor in a way here https://mwomercs.com...ritical-system/

#16 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

Well, I voted for Stealth armor. Why? Quite simply, because it needs ECM to work in the first place. If you read Stealth Armor's article, you'll see that it very clearly states that it needs to be linked to a Guardian ECM suite to be used in the first place. There for, if we rework ECM to simply slow down Missile locks, and then give ECM's current benefits to Stealth Armor, then our current "Jesus Box" might be a bit less OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users