Timberwolf Durability

9 replies to this topic

#1 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Does anyone else think the timberwolf is really squishy compared to when it first came out? It used to be able to take on dang near anything head on but now dies exteamly fast in comparison.

For reference my Hellbringers feel more durable in all situations. Is it just me or has the timber become easier to kill?

#2 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

It could be that Madcats are a priority target, or your putting LRM's in its ears? could you have moved up in tier? higher level veteran players won't be so timid as to let your godlike Madcat go unpunished. Also, didn't they adjust the walking animation so it's bounces less aeons ago? and fixed the jumpjets messing its hitboxes up thing or something.

You know, it could just be that there are much more competitive heavies around these days that Madcats ain't so top of the heap anymore. That whole powercreep thing.

The hellbringer's ECM makes 'em sneaky ******* and a little less easy to prioritize I find.

#3 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

View PostNullmancer, on 19 January 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

It could be that Madcats are a priority target, or your putting LRM's in its ears? could you have moved up in tier? higher level veteran players won't be so timid as to let your godlike Madcat go unpunished. Also, didn't they adjust the walking animation so it's bounces less aeons ago? and fixed the jumpjets messing its hitboxes up thing or something.

You know, it could just be that there are much more competitive heavies around these days that Madcats ain't so top of the heap anymore. That whole powercreep thing.

The hellbringer's ECM makes 'em sneaky ******* and a little less easy to prioritize I find.

I'm T2 so Idk if that has something to do with it, I don't run LRMs are they are just a waste of space but I do have one loaded with an SRM24 setup. Perhaps that's why they try to kill me.....

#4 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hellbringers roll damage better given the humanoid profile when doing big sweeping twists (which most are more used to); Timberwolf twists works better with less drastic twists given the nose cone ( much less than 90 degrees) to spread but have a trait that makes chunking them pretty easy.

Take a look at the shoulders; be it with SRMS instead of LRM mouse ears, even the 3 energy hard point pod. If folks aren't aiming for your CT they're pretty easy to chunk, especially if you expose too much of your side by a big margin. With the low mounted energy pods it's less an issue, but also keep in mind the average Alpha of Mechs (including IS) have gone up for a lot of builds; energy pumping out 52, 54, even 62 on heavies is very common at higher tiers, or pinpoint ballistic + ppc or similar. You used to see 48 pt blasts being more common, erppcs being avoided because crap hitreg etc. and that environment has changed quite a bit.

I don't think the Timberwolves have gotten less durable at all compared to prior; it's the damage outputs have went up (and time between such outputs going down) making it much more noticeable especially without structure quirks and a broken JJ animation to exploit. I personally find rolling damage in a Hellbringer easier too, but I'm more used to that hitbox profile than the Stalker-esque nose-cone style. Just my observations mind you.

#5 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostMoebius Pi, on 19 January 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Hellbringers roll damage better given the humanoid profile when doing big sweeping twists (which most are more used to); Timberwolf twists works better with less drastic twists given the nose cone ( much less than 90 degrees) to spread but have a trait that makes chunking them pretty easy.

Take a look at the shoulders; be it with SRMS instead of LRM mouse ears, even the 3 energy hard point pod. If folks aren't aiming for your CT they're pretty easy to chunk, especially if you expose too much of your side by a big margin. With the low mounted energy pods it's less an issue, but also keep in mind the average Alpha of Mechs (including IS) have gone up for a lot of builds; energy pumping out 52, 54, even 62 on heavies is very common at higher tiers, or pinpoint ballistic + ppc or similar. You used to see 48 pt blasts being more common, erppcs being avoided because crap hitreg etc. and that environment has changed quite a bit.

I don't think the Timberwolves have gotten less durable at all compared to prior; it's the damage outputs have went up (and time between such outputs going down) making it much more noticeable especially without structure quirks and a broken JJ animation to exploit. I personally find rolling damage in a Hellbringer easier too, but I'm more used to that hitbox profile than the Stalker-esque nose-cone style. Just my observations mind you.

Great points, can you elaborate on how to properly roll with a cone type mech?

#6 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:07 AM

more of a wiggle, or short back and forth sweep then a full turn to the side and back. If you do do a full turn, your ct is still exposed via your nose and its easy to hit. I've bagged many a madcat by punching 'em in the nose that way.

#7 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

View PostNullmancer, on 20 January 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

more of a wiggle, or short back and forth sweep then a full turn to the side and back. If you do do a full turn, your ct is still exposed via your nose and its easy to hit. I've bagged many a madcat by punching 'em in the nose that way.

What he said. The ST extend over parts of the nosecone as well, so it's more like, what,a 30 degree wiggle (or less? I honestly forget the specific number) to get it going over both ST's and CT instead of just one ST and the CT. Stalkers are very similar in that regard (unless you're using a dead side build). Still better to have the spread over 3 components than 2 or 1 in the end.
Just don't expect it to manage the same results on the EBJ despite some visual similarities; it needs a larger sweep to spread given a much more exposed CT; its nosecone isn't part ST in the same fashion (pretty much all CT with the blocky parts off to the side and lower area by the nose cone being ST) and it takes more work to spread (along with even more vulnerable ST's if you use high mounts on it). Unless they retooled the hitboxes on them sometime recently, but I'm pretty sure they haven't (yet). Quite a lot more fragile.

#8 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

I find my hellbringer to be way more squishier than my modcots.

#9 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:10 AM

So you twist a TBR the same way you twist a Marauder, basically? That applies to all mechs with a nose that sticks out, I take it? What about EBJ?

#10 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

Its more that TTK has gone down across the board due to powercreep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users