Shadow Cat Ppc Build Possible?

19 replies to this topic

#1 chiller2k3

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

Quick question: Is it possible (or let's say effective) to run 2 PPCs on a SHC-A? Maybe an other Shadow Cat case?

I like the Shadow Cat and I want a medium Mech and I want an 2xPPC build. Are there better Medium Mechs that perform a good 2xPPC build?

Thanks,
Chiller2k3

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

I have 2 PPC's on one of my shadow cats

I do it more for the fun factor then anything else

after a few years of playing you need a change
it runs super hot but everything in this game runs super hot

Edited by Davegt27, 21 January 2017 - 02:06 AM.

#3 chiller2k3

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:27 AM

I have a Raven with 2 ER-LargeLasers, I'm accustomed to running hot Posted Image

I tested a bit and came to this build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11a8fb3bcc67746

Do I miss something important?

#4 chiller2k3

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

oh and I recently came back to MWO and when I played there were no clan mechs, so I have a question:
Do I see this right and the clan mechs can only run one specific XL engine?
In the builder I can only choose from one XL Engine

#5 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

View Postchiller2k3, on 21 January 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

Do I miss something important?

The ECM and T-comp.
Also, some people like to build it asymetricaly, with both PPCs on the right side. See what's working for you.

edit: the build I was thinking of.

Edited by epikt, 21 January 2017 - 04:33 AM.

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:37 AM

View Postchiller2k3, on 21 January 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

Do I see this right and the clan mechs can only run one specific XL engine?
In the builder I can only choose from one XL Engine

Clan omnimechs, like the ShadowCat, have fixed (XL) engine.
Clan Battlemechs, like the IIC mechs, can customise their engine (but not their hardpoints, just like good old IS mechs)

#7 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

View Postchiller2k3, on 21 January 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

Quick question: Is it possible (or let's say effective) to run 2 PPCs on a SHC-A?

See for yourself Posted Image I remember packing this setup on Cicada, and it worked fine.

#8 Tal Blackfox

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

gyazo.com/43636dcde0fd0bbedded647e249db292

2 x PPC, ECM. Totally viable build, but you have to pop tart, shoot & scoot, and peek like crazy. You're an eggshell armed with a cannon, your best defense is just to not be there to be shot at.

Edited by Tal Blackfox, 24 January 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#9 kutkip

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Have a look at the Nova, i run it with 2x PPC, it has jumpjets, it does very well

#10 Bazni

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

2 ppcs seem to run very well on a hunchback 2C (I haven't tried it, but those high energy mounts...). Some might call it a perversion of the chassis, but you can also run 2 ppcs and some supporting lasers on a stormcrow (especially if torso-mounted). But the 2ppc shadowcat does run quite hot.

#11 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Postchiller2k3, on 21 January 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

Are there better Medium Mechs that perform a good 2xPPC build?

View Postkutkip, on 25 January 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Have a look at the Nova, i run it with 2x PPC, it has jumpjets, it does very well

If I run dual erPPCs on a medium I always use the Nova A. The velocity and heat gen quirks give you a little more heat control and and you have to do a lot less leading to hit at long range. It's not as fast as the shadowcat, but it can still jump and comes with dual AMS as well which is always nice to have when working with others.

#12 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

I actually run this build right now, but this is also how I've run it. Having an alternate, relatively cooler-running backup weapon has saved my *** more than once.

I know it's more vulnerable, but I prefer having the PPC's on the arms since shooting down UAV's is a high priority when I'm in an ECM mech.

#13 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

One of my 3 Cats has 2 ERPPC and ECM use it to get to flanks and can cause all sorts of nightmares.

Thought about T Comp but rather ave extra heat sink for time being maybe change my mind later once I get into elite skills

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

Yeah PPCs seem to work a bit better than two ERL.

You should also try ECM+Gauss combo. It's really fun to snipe the enemy from example above ground and when you watch them in advanced zoom view, and they can't figure out where the shots are coming from. It's so funny.

#15 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

A bit too hot for my taste but with the JJ's and the ECM it's an excellent sniper if you can handle PPC's.

#16 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

The Nova also handles PPC builds very well.

Typically people will run it with NVA-A arm omnipods and mount the weapons in the side torsos. That being said, running the weapons in the arms would allow you to use the NVA-Prime side torsos and benefit from additional heat gen quirks.

#17 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have an Adder, a Shadowcat, and a Nova all kitted out with 2ERPPC. They all work very well.

#18 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Dual PPCs is one of the most common builds on the SHC since it works pretty well actually. Granted it has terrible DPS and cant do much in a short game, but its one of few builds that has remained relevant after the massive structure nerfs (which killed off the viability of brawling in it as you cannot afford to shield like at all now) and the cLPL nerf way back when which didnt exactly kill the LPL, but made the classical dual LPL with optional ERML build nolonger as versatile as it once was. PPCs let you fire and forget, and you need at most a split second to fire off 20 free pinpoint damage, unless the enemy has your poking spot preaimed, it is extremely unlikely for you to take any dangerous return fire (at best youll take a bit of laser boat damage).

Its not the only way to play the shadowcat well, but from my experience it is the ONLY reliable build left for that chassis after the nerfs to structure and lpl ranges. You get good alpha and burst damage that can be applied at almost any range (it still hurts stuff past 1.2km), and while it doesnt have sustainability, you can easily puke out 60 or so damage (which is enough to core most mechs out if you have good aim) before having to relocate and attack from another angle. Despite its issues, its quite rare to get lousy damage, and the best part is that unlike laser damage, almost all of the damage goes to exactly where you intend it to go and it robs the enemy of the chance to shield themselves effectively.

My 2 fav builds are 2 ppcs and 4 heatsinks (one in RT, one in left arm to not be dead when skilled players focus fire the RT expecting both guns to be taken out), and 2 ppcs with 6 mgs (syncs crazy well, with 20 pinpoint to strip people/harass early game, and the 6 mgs to crit the crap out of the target once they are opened up late game). The only other build i run is 2 LPL (same hardpoint config as the 2 ppc version) since it does give much better DPS and sustainability for when im running with a unit and for whatever reason i insist on playing the SHC in an agressive strat. I used to run ERLLS on it when i was lower skill level, but its a horribler build since the 1.5s beam duration is an absolute killer in practice, anyone with situational awareness can spot and hit you in that window, and you will almost always get outtraded at extreme ranges by heavier ERLL boats (especially IS ERLL, 27 damage with less beam duration vs your 22, or if they boat 6 expect to get shot with like 50 alfa to your maximum theoretical damage out put of 33 if you are willing to run 3 erlls and melt as often as the ppc versions...

Edited by panzer1b, 16 February 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#19 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Here is a dual PPC build: DUALPPC

It has almost no armor but it has ecm so it might work. It also has 50% heat without bonuses. I don't gaurantee it has the best choice of bonuses though as I didn't go through them on smurfies that thoroughly. But I didn't see anything that helps PPC as the laser bonuses shouldn't apply.

Note: Less than 20 DHS would allow for endless fire of one PPC without stop in the current system(non skill tree system). Dropping down to 1 PPC could allow for enough room for extra armor etc. Although this will be more adjustable when the new skill tree comes out.

SinglePPC

Change unused omni sections to maximize bonuses.

I wish smurfies would cross reference their list of omni bonuses and the set bonuses onto the parts in the mechlab.

Edited by Arugela, 27 May 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#20 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

This is the way to run it, swapping a DHS for a TC if you so choose.

SHC-PRIME

It runs hot, but nothing can touch the mobility and stealth it offers as a PPC platform. Don't miss your shots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users