Shadowcat Support Build

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tal Blackfox

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

I've been tinkering around with Shadowcats, trying to come up with a good close support build or two that will let me lend the most good from my ECM to the team, and also let me dish damage out in medium ranges. I'm trying to avoid ER lasers because of the long duration and the tendency for team-mates to walk in front of me. And PPCs are just too hot. I tried the Dakka Cat build, with 6 MGs and an ER Large to break armor, but it posted lackluster results. The MGs rarely did any good without extreme luck.

So this is what I've worked out so far. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90af818deeb9c44 It feels a little lacking in output, but Shadowcats have such limited hardpoints that it's hard to come up with anything more suited to hard hits.

Let me throw out the intentions and goals, in no particular order.
1) Keep ECM
2) Be able to stay close to the big guys, so that they can benefit from my ECM
3) Be able to stay alive, close to the big guys
4) Be able to help knock down targets of opportunity/focus fire at mid range.

Does this accomplish that? Is there another build that could do it better?

I have one SHC elited and another almost there, so skill perks aren't a big deal, but I haven't picked up Seismic or (more importantly) Radar Derp yet. Grindy grindy.

#2 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Throw out the streak-launcher. Its a weird weapon system that only works well if boated against lighter mechs. Put in an SRM-launcher to put the missiles into the spot you actually want to hit. You also might want to put the launcher ammo into the arms to prevent ST-loss in case of an ammo explosion.

You will have a very hard time in general when partaking in a brawl between assaults and heavies, the cat is VERY squishy.
ECM-support has become very hard with its current range.

#3 Tal Blackfox

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostJohn McHobo, on 21 January 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Throw out the streak-launcher. Its a weird weapon system that only works well if boated against lighter mechs. Put in an SRM-launcher to put the missiles into the spot you actually want to hit. You also might want to put the launcher ammo into the arms to prevent ST-loss in case of an ammo explosion.

You will have a very hard time in general when partaking in a brawl between assaults and heavies, the cat is VERY squishy.
ECM-support has become very hard with its current range.

Something more like this, then?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10db6421a037ea8

#4 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

I would say drop the Streaks/SRMS:

2 ERML and an LBX10 (or an LBX5 if you want more range/ammo.

Use the ERML to poke and the LBX to wreck any components that have been exposed by your buddy (remember, you're playing support not alpha-warrior). BAP will also help you find those weak-points to poke.

As for modules, make Radar-Derp your first, it is hard to recommend anything else as first choice, that said; I would say to forgo Seismic and pick up Target Decay instead... as the meta dictates derp is a must have. Seismic will only pickup nearby enemies for yourself whereas Decay benefits your whole team (remembrance you're playing support). Decay nullifies the Derp and allows both you and your team-mates to track enemy targets outside LOS, giving everyone valuable information on the enemies movement/position and helps concentrate fire.

#5 Tal Blackfox

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 January 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

I would say drop the Streaks/SRMS:

2 ERML and an LBX10 (or an LBX5 if you want more range/ammo.

Use the ERML to poke and the LBX to wreck any components that have been exposed by your buddy (remember, you're playing support not alpha-warrior). BAP will also help you find those weak-points to poke.

As for modules, make Radar-Derp your first, it is hard to recommend anything else as first choice, that said; I would say to forgo Seismic and pick up Target Decay instead... as the meta dictates derp is a must have. Seismic will only pickup nearby enemies for yourself whereas Decay benefits your whole team (remembrance you're playing support). Decay nullifies the Derp and allows both you and your team-mates to track enemy targets outside LOS, giving everyone valuable information on the enemies movement/position and helps concentrate fire.

So you're talking something like this, then?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49f33b75bac1060

And yeah. Radar Derp is the first priority. That and getting a third SHC chassis, then getting Hellbringers.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'd go with the SRM6 build for what you're trying to do, though I should point out that your time to overheat with that build is only one second longer than dual ERPPCs. Also, "ECM Support" isn't really a good build - honestly it never was. I don't know how many Spiders, Ravens, or Arctic Cheetahs I've seen clutter the battlefield, getting in the Heavies' and Assaults' way because they thought they were helping with ECM. Generally speaking, knowing the enemy's location and activities is much more important than having a Light 'mech underfoot. I can use cover and concealment to avoid LRMs - but I can't avoid being outmaneuvered if I don't know where the enemy is.

ECM makes a great addition to a close combat Medium - just don't get hung up on the idea that your "job" is to shield the team with your 90m ECM range. =)

#7 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

I can't really open smurfy from my mobile right now so I will just have to write it down here :)
For my Shadow Cat support build, I run it with ECM, 3 x srm6 + Artemis and 2 ermed.
With the omnipods, or maybe the ct, I am not sure... but there are missile cooldown and spread reduction quirks.
So the srms are extremely accurate.
I use the ermeds for just the mid range poking, because I mainly play solo public queue, that is good enough to have something to do while waiting for the match to progress from the trading at range phase to a more closer ranges :)
But for scouting match, or group queue, you may want to switch out the ermed with small pulses or small lasers for that extra dps and heat efficiency.
This build is extremely fun to play, it is a skirmishing brawler.
You have to always move around and use that MASC and jump jets to its full potential.
Don't stick around your assaults, but move forward ahead of them and scout out the area ahead.
Once you've got some target get some shots off and scoot away.
If they try to focus you down, just focus on your mobility to get you out of tight spots until your hard hitters come and clean up your mess xD
In a brawl, dps is more important than alpha... so just use the srms in a brawl to try to maintain the highest dps your heatsinks can handle, and since you are a mobile pesky medium the enemies tend not to focus on you so you can get those free damage and kills while your hard hitters are hard at work :D

#8 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostTal Blackfox, on 21 January 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

So you're talking something like this, then?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49f33b75bac1060

Pretty close, I'd recommend using an all an all prime configuration with only the left torso of the SHC-B for ECM, reason being is you can then mount a lower arm actuator in the left arm which would then give you horizontal movement for your arm weapons.

If need be you can shave some leg/head armour for more ammo but that's your call.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 21 January 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#9 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

Also, as the Shadow Cat already have its ecm I don't bother to bring a radar derp as it is generally works the same... unless your ecm is being jammed.
So I usually just carry seismic sensors and the rest I load up with weapon modules, srm range and cooldown and ermed / small lasers range :)

#10 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostTal Blackfox, on 21 January 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

Something more like this, then?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10db6421a037ea8

For example.
Another Idea: Go for Artemis IV SRM 4 launchers for less heat and more accuracy, and maybe remove the torso med pulse for 2 heat sinks.

But always consider the following: I personally play the Shadowcat from long ranges, and I consider closing in on the enemy as either a final finisher or a very desperate strike - For the reasons mentioned by

View PostVoid Angel, on 21 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'd go with the SRM6 build for what you're trying to do, though I should point out that your time to overheat with that build is only one second longer than dual ERPPCs. Also, "ECM Support" isn't really a good build - honestly it never was. I don't know how many Spiders, Ravens, or Arctic Cheetahs I've seen clutter the battlefield, getting in the Heavies' and Assaults' way because they thought they were helping with ECM. Generally speaking, knowing the enemy's location and activities is much more important than having a Light 'mech underfoot. I can use cover and concealment to avoid LRMs - but I can't avoid being outmaneuvered if I don't know where the enemy is.

ECM makes a great addition to a close combat Medium - just don't get hung up on the idea that your "job" is to shield the team with your 90m ECM range. =)

and mine -you put yourself in a very tough spot there.
Kudos if you can pull it off though.

edit: spelling

Edited by John McHobo, 23 January 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#11 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

I hate to be honest, but the concept of "support" on a shadowcat is flawed right out of teh box, especially after the recent armor nerfing which rendered brawling in it a death sentence. The best ways to play teh shadowcat is flanking and harassment, things like 2 ppcs, 2 lpls, and possibly erlls (if you can bear 1.5s beam durations, personally i hate that gun on everything but the hellbinger when paired with 6 ERMLs).

If you ABSOLUTELY have to brawl (or do short range anything) your best bet will be 2 ERML/MPL and 3 SRM-6As, its puny and unreliable, but its the best that can be done on such a squishy mech with terribad hardpoints. The one other variation being 3 lasers and 2 srm-6As (depends on whether you want raw damage output or better mid range abilities (which are kinda moot when every single laser boat will outtrade you every time). That said, if you are crazy careful you can actually brawl with something like 2 lpl+6mg, the lpls will open stuff up from behind super quickly, and the 6mgs will eat them afterwards, 2 ppcs+3 mgs and ecm is another one that "works" for me and is insanely fun to pilot (overheats all day, crazy risky, no real firepower), but is just a bad idea...

Anyways, if you are willing to branch away from teh shadowcat, the best ecm "support" mechs have got to be the hellbringer and kit fox (with the latter being absolute garbage without loyalty pods but ill keep the P2W arguments out of here). The HBR is the 2nd best clan heavy, has ECM, and can run a variety of workeable builds (lpl+erml, erll+erml, dual uac5, gauss+erml, hell even dual ppcs and uac5 if you are like me and liek to go anti-meta-derp mode). It has the armor to stick near the team and ecm them, and its actually good solo too if the team dies horribly and you are left over. Another major advantage of the thing is the fact that you rarely get focused right off the bat when the enemy looks at a group of mechs letting you stay alive to do damage longer. Its not as reliable as the timby but on many games i considerably outdamage my timber since the HBR gets ignored so often when running things like ppcs and uacs that leave minimal trails leading back to you. Also the cutefox is another "support" ecm boat, which allows you to bring 3x AMS (middle finger to anyone with lurms) and some mid range firepower (though obviously the loyalty pods let you carry crazy amounts of it). Not my thing (too squishy, not enough firepower, ect), but its the only other viable support mech i can thing of that has ECM and is clan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users