#1 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Updated!

It's a top down, real-time interpretation of BattleTech and MechWarrior, using a mixture of mechanics of both. The game is entirely not finished and buggy.

This has largely been a "make it up as I go along" sort of project that wasn't ever supposed to go very far, but I've found it fun to keep tacking on things and it's eventually grown into something semi-playable.

The final game will give you the ability to directly lead a lance from the command chair of your own BattleMech, or access Command Mode to give orders to units RTS style. I mean, that's the plan anyway.

The game will, eventually, also have a mercenary campaign in which you'll have to travel around the 3025 Inner Sphere, taking contracts and building up your merc unit not-at-all-okay-kind-of-like HBS's new game.

It's a HTML5 browser game, so it can be played here.

That paticular version has an outdated 'Info Screen' at the start of the game- see post well below for updated info on mech and weapon control.

Edited by Dingo Red, 03 April 2017 - 05:50 AM.

#2 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

It runs great as a program. The AI, particularly the steering (which I know is difficult), runs well.

The controls are nice and smooth but firing weapons gets a little crazy sometimes. I recommend maybe seeing if you can streamline the player's fire control a little bit. Maybe consider making the torso follow the mouse within an angle limit of the leg direction. Weapon groups would be a feature to consider in the future for sure.

I love the effects. The sound is right on. The smoke effects are great. The blaster bolts are nice. Before anyone says anything about bolts vs beams, beams get crazy. If you don't believe me, go make some beams and then come back.

Have you tried a 12 vs 12 battle yet to test your frame rate with 23 AIs running at once? Also, how big is your map?

-Rabbit

#3 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Neat little game. I'm hving a bit of trouble working with twisting, but I'm sure practice will fix that.

#4 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

This is pretty great!

Just so you know - many of us don't have scroll wheels - so some type of keyboard command for switching weapons would be great.

It'd also be nice to have a downloadable offline version...

P.S.
If you replaced the content with content you had rights to (e.g. custom weapons and mechs) - I'd be willing to pay for a copy.

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'd recommend focusing on the combat first, the grand plans for the campaign can always come after you have got it nailed down!

I like the idea of how the mechs are controlled, though I could only ever figure out how to fire a single laser from my Battlemaster, no idea how to fire all the rest of its weapons.

Finally, as a web browser game it is critical that it be able to adjust to whatever resolution (within reason) that the browser is currently at. I had mine at 1400x900 but still the weapons list and the bottom part of the main viewscreen were scrolled off the view.

From one game designer to another, I say good luck and have fun making it!

P.S. I love that you are using the MegaMek sprites, like I did for RogueMek Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 02 February 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#6 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

I've been watching Dingo Red's project come together on YouTube for a while and have talked to him some. He doesn't have as much time as he'd like to work on things so production is a little slow.

It doesn't matter though, as long as he's enjoying what he's doing. I love it when people work on projects like this! I've been following you, too, Capper. For you non-game designer hobbyists, there's nothing like the first time you mix a little art and a little math and watch your work come to life!

-Rabbit

#7 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Gday all, finally had time to come back to the project for a bit. I've started uni this year so my free time is naturally approaching zero. Posted Image

Regarding controls I agree they're awful, if I'll be honest I haven't really focused on player control and UI just yet since I'm still building the 'core' of the game, the combat mechanics and whatnot. Weapon grouping has been on my mind but I still need a way to allow the AI to deal with groups. Most likely there'll be pre-defined groupings for each mech, and custom groupings will come later.

I actually did have beams initially, but that was when I was using instant TT weapons calculations which didn't really suit a real time game like this. Bolts are an easy solution for now so I might try looking at ways to bring back beams later on.

I did a small update with some of the feedback here, it's mostly just cleaning up. I redid the torso rotation calculation so it actually works now, and so that mouse control is a thing. You can now entirely aim both arms and the torso with the mouse instead of separate keys. I also cleaned up the targeting controls so you have to click near a mech to target it, and clicking away from mechs will clear target. Weapon selection also cycles now when you fire. Needs more work of course but just a small addition for now. Plus a bunch of UI fixes, destroyed arms are no longer visible, increased the performance of particle effects etc.

Playable here, but the original link is updated as well. I should mention the "how to play" graphic is no longer accurate. :P

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 02 February 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'd recommend focusing on the combat first, the grand plans for the campaign can always come after you have got it nailed down!

I like the idea of how the mechs are controlled, though I could only ever figure out how to fire a single laser from my Battlemaster, no idea how to fire all the rest of its weapons.

Finally, as a web browser game it is critical that it be able to adjust to whatever resolution (within reason) that the browser is currently at. I had mine at 1400x900 but still the weapons list and the bottom part of the main viewscreen were scrolled off the view.

From one game designer to another, I say good luck and have fun making it!

P.S. I love that you are using the MegaMek sprites, like I did for RogueMek Posted Image

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the game is locked currently at a roughly 1920x1080 resolution. Most of the UI does scale but for the sake of speedy dev I disabled scaling and will reapproach it down the track once I have most of the UI elements in.

I've followed RougeMek a lot as well, projects such as your own were one of the inspirations behind myself deciding to try something. Posted Image

Edited by Dingo Red, 25 March 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#8 Phantom360

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 92 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOver where the grass is greener.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

please tell me your gonna be making more of this xD its a really fun concept

#9 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostPhantom360, on 26 March 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

please tell me your gonna be making more of this xD its a really fun concept

Knowing me I'll keep tinkering around with it until my bad programming causes my computer to invert itself. :P

#10 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

Wow, the last changes were massive improvements!

I don't know if I missed the multiplier option in the menu last time but 16 vs 16 lights was utter chaos! No slow downs, everything stayed nice and steady, too. The 16 mechs pathing down a city street only got bungled up only once, and just for a moment, but they still did better than a MWO PUG group. I restarted a few times to see if I could repeat it, but couldn't. It wasn't a problem overall in that battle, they unbungled themselves in a matter of seconds. This isn't a bug report, it's a compliment.

Great job, dude. I can't wait for the next update!
-Rabbit

Edited by Grey Rabbit, 22 April 2017 - 08:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users