Is Drop Decks

16 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

In a few days I'll be on IS, I'm wondering what type of dropdecks people are commonly bringing. I've prefered basing my decks entirely around heavy mechs when I used to be on IS and currently on Clan side.

I'm thinking a Grasshopper 5P and 3 Thunderbolts, all variants except that large laser quirked one since I'm eliting them because I don't feel like buying 3 of the same mech only to be locked to basics. Running 3 LPL and 2 MPL on every mech, XL300s in the Thunderbolts and XL340 in the Grasshopper. I know most people seem to advocate for the STD Thunderbolt, but I have no trouble tanking with XL in it, damage spreads to arms and everywhere, the extra damage I can get out lets me kill stuff faster so I don't have to tank as much anyway.

What's everyone else running? Battlemaster 2Cs seem pretty good, 5LPL is tried and true though would burn up if pushed, alternate 3LPL+3MPL puts out 51 damage and with an XL375 runs pretty cool, could run STD350 and remove a MPL and have the same amount of time before overheat. That'd force me to bring a medium though. Probably Battlemaster, 2 Thunderbolts, and a Hunchback, that or 2 Grasshoppers and a Cicada backing up the Battlemaster. I just hate using assaults in FW, its just feels like putting too many eggs in one basket when the heavies work so well.

#2 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Its not like back in the past phases since this is technically Quick Play 2.0. Its not the same thing over and over. Maps and Modes will be a key to knowing what you need in the drop decks. Some teams have taken things they don't normally use into Faction play since Quick Play maps are used most of the time.

Edited by Wing 0, 21 January 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

View PostWing 0, on 21 January 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Its not like back in the past phases since this is technically Quick Play 2.0. Its not the same thing over and over. Maps and Modes will be a key to knowing what you need in the drop decks. Some teams have taken things they don't normally use into Faction play since Quick Play maps are used most of the time.

Triple LPL works pretty well mid range on a lot of quickplay maps and on the invasion ones. Though the new additions such as polar highlands, alpine, and a few of the other wide open long range quick play maps I guess ERPPCs and ERLLs would do pretty good on.

I get two decks anyway, a long range and a mid/close range one is what I often make it. On clan side I have my ERPPC deck and my ERML or LPL focused deck.

#4 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

I have a GHR spam deck that I never change, and a 'HOT MAP' deck that constantly changes (can't figure out good builds...I'm always changing my mind)

the GHR deck is as follows. 5N, 5P(large lasers) and a 5H, then to round it out I use a Griffin 2N for ECM and SRM goodness. It also runs@95KPH. They work well on most maps and situations. I have to get back into the habit of playing them on every map, I keep dropping random warhammers on hot maps and I think it's hurting me. (Warhammers are pretty good though, but I feel like the Grasshopper's jump jets give it just a little more utility. I can go where others cannot! :D)

#5 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

I recently rebuilt my decks a few times when Kurita moved into FRR's TS and started running with them, because Kurita would run a 4th mech for a light rush and FRR likes to do a medium brawler rush.

1st for cold/regular/close maps: 3 GHR with LPL-ML / SRM Griffin
2nd for hot/midrange maps: 3 WHM with UAC5-PPC / SRM Griffin
3rd only for longrange/cold maps: BLR 2C 5ERLL / 2 GHR P ERLL / Cicada ECM ERLL

..but, I'm going to master Shadowhawks, next, so I can run the ERLL deck with 5p / 5p / 5p / 2k
(I haven't done SHKs yet, and that 2k with 3 high mounted lasers looks pretty useful for hillhumping.)

Oh, and here's a link with some build ideas / opinions of FP mechs.
https://mwomercs.com...ck-composition/

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

With the upcoming WHR nerfs you're likely going to want an assault (or two) and some mediums/lights. The remaining IS heavies are little able to complete (aside from ERLL poke setups) with the best Clan heavies.

#7 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

I don't think the WHR nerfs will affect them, that much. They're only halving the structure bonus. It isn't like what they did to the Marauders back in the summer when they stole the ballistic speed from them.

#8 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Id join in but whenever I tell you whats best PGI nerfs it 2 months later.

Actually what the heck.

LRM 60 Xl350 atlas is op
LRM 80 trebuchet is broken
LRM oxide is fantastic with lrm 5's for constant supression fire on enemy
You should build your deck LRM atlas LRM king crab lrm trebuchet lrm oxide.

#9 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Pretty much 3 Warhammers + a 55 tonner
I myself use two 6Rs with 2xPPC, 2xUAC5 and a 6D with LPL vomit. You can easily marginally adjust it with different warhammer variants based on your style. The 55tonner could be a splat Griffin or perhaps a SHD of some kind.

[BLR, WHM WHM, Oxide] gets you an assault and a light be it 5 tons under which I guess you could fill with a BL7 if it bothers you (but i'd rather have the WHM over the BL7 at this moment)

Edited by Kin3ticX, 21 January 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 January 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

With the upcoming WHR nerfs you're likely going to want an assault (or two) and some mediums/lights. The remaining IS heavies are little able to complete (aside from ERLL poke setups) with the best Clan heavies.

Which Warhammers did you prefer, like what builds in particular, just PPFLD? I don't really use them all too much in the first place, Grasshopper outclasses it for lasers, 5P for structure and laser quirks, and even Thunderbolt does better than it with lasers due to the high quirks, at least offensively. Another Tbolt has really nice PPC quirks that make them even more capable than a Summoner's ERPPCs in terms of pure pinpoint DPS, just doesn't have the jump jets, however most of my damage from when I use my PPC summoners actually comes from side poking back or fourth between cover on the ground because jump jets take too long to recharge so I need some other way to keep my heat gauge in the red.

Do remember, I'm a Hellbringer, Shadow Cat, and Executioner master and a light mech jock who enjoys things from the Adder to the Locust. I really tend to prefer stuff with high mobility quirks and a large XL engine, I don't really get hit much in whatever I use and the short duration and PPFLD nature of IS I can really roll with. Mid range is what I usually stay at, so the IS LPL focused builds fit right in for me. Besides that, why risk bringing a light against clans when they are likely to have a streak boat last wave or someone out there with gauss or PPC?

#11 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 21 January 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Which Warhammers did you prefer, like what builds in particular, just PPFLD? I don't really use them all too much in the first place, Grasshopper outclasses it for lasers, 5P for structure and laser quirks, and even Thunderbolt does better than it with lasers due to the high quirks, at least offensively. Another Tbolt has really nice PPC quirks that make them even more capable than a Summoner's ERPPCs in terms of pure pinpoint DPS, just doesn't have the jump jets, however most of my damage from when I use my PPC summoners actually comes from side poking back or fourth between cover on the ground because jump jets take too long to recharge so I need some other way to keep my heat gauge in the red.

Do remember, I'm a Hellbringer, Shadow Cat, and Executioner master and a light mech jock who enjoys things from the Adder to the Locust. I really tend to prefer stuff with high mobility quirks and a large XL engine, I don't really get hit much in whatever I use and the short duration and PPFLD nature of IS I can really roll with. Mid range is what I usually stay at, so the IS LPL focused builds fit right in for me. Besides that, why risk bringing a light against clans when they are likely to have a streak boat last wave or someone out there with gauss or PPC?

There's a few good options. The 3LPL 4 ML D is pretty much the go-to. You might also like a 6R with 2xAC5, 2LPL, 2ML. You can run pretty much any of them with 4 LPLs too.

A 4 LPL GHR is also a well respected and effective mid-range fighter.

However, hands down, best LPL mech is BLR 2C with 5 LPLs. If you want the LPL deck that's what you build it around. BLR 2C, 2 WHRs and a Cicada (that you'll likely never need).

The 5LPL BLR 2C is to the IS LPL meta what the special edition HBR and Night Gyrs are to jump sniping.

#12 Mechi Messer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

I have two decks. Regular and snipe.
Regular: BLR 2C with 5lpl, Whammy with 3lpl + 3mpl, Jester with 2lpl + 4ml and a BJ3 with 3lpl. This is a bit odd but I hate cicadas and can't pilot them.
Snipe: BLR with 5 or 6 ERLL, 2x Grasshopper with 4 or 5 ERll (I'm a bit triggerhappy so I prefer somewhat cooler builds than the meta) and BJ with 2 ERPPC.

#13 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Faction Play / Factions - Inner Sphere.

Also, several off-topic posts have been removed.
Please stay on topic. Thank you.[/mod]

#14 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:36 AM

Your all making me cry you keep mentioning my fav mech theyre going to nerf it next, then I might actually have to start focusing on clan side again =(

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

I have two main IS decks:

1. a long range deck, which is based around ERL range quirked Mechs; and
2. a brawling deck for all other maps, which is based on LPL+ML combinations.

I usually get 1500 to 2000 damage a match, depending on whether the enemy team is a large premade or not.

Edited by Appogee, 22 January 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#16 Kara Ben Nemsi

• 1,558 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

Short Range: BLR-2C, GHR-5H, GHR-5H, CDA-2B

Long Range: BLR-1G, GHR-5P, GHR-5P, CDA-2A

#17 f00lish1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 21 January 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Id join in but whenever I tell you whats best PGI nerfs it 2 months later.

Actually what the heck.

LRM 60 Xl350 atlas is op
LRM 80 trebuchet is broken
LRM oxide is fantastic with lrm 5's for constant supression fire on enemy
You should build your deck LRM atlas LRM king crab lrm trebuchet lrm oxide.

View PostCadoazreal, on 22 January 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

Your all making me cry you keep mentioning my fav mech theyre going to nerf it next, then I might actually have to start focusing on clan side again =(

No worries, just set up with the LRM-SpiritBear and 3 LRM-Shadowcats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users