Bushwhacker Theorycrafting

27 replies to this topic

#1 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

So, with quirks released, and a decent idea of what kinda hardpoints it's gonna have, what are your thoughts on the bushwhacker?

General things I'm noticing: low on energy hardpoints save two variants, but an overload of missile and ballistic hardpoints. Laser Vomit probably won't be an option, but dual AC10, LBX10+SRMs, and dual UAC5s will all be posible. (Maybe even 3machine guns SRM max engine? Or even 3x UAC 5 with a small engine like xl245?)

Those are my plans anyway, what about everyone else? High Roller I wanna try out gauss +lasers.

Front profile is pretty nice, and left arm looks like it could be a good shield. Legs are fairly narrow too. With only 10 extra armor though, I don't see it being super tanky.

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

The Bushwacker is the only IS medium that will be able to run a 3xAC5 build, so I expect to see a lot of that. LBX10 + SRM builds will probably also be quite popular and dual AC10 should show up too.

For the X1 I'm thinking something along the lines of 3xSRM6, LBX10 and MGS. I'm gonna wait and see until tomorrow before I buy it.

#3 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:29 AM

ac20 + 4srm4 on S2 variant to fire 54.4 alpha every 3 sec. i'll be running a lot in it until new weapons released.

#4 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

what speed are you hoping to retain. remember they are a medium. so they should mvoe atleast 80k plus or they just get outranked by clan heavies

#5 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postbanana peel, on 23 January 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

ac20 + 4srm4 on S2 variant to fire 54.4 alpha every 3 sec. i'll be running a lot in it until new weapons released.

Don't think you'll be able to fit the AC20 into that arm due to the full complement of actuators limiting number of available slots.

#6 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

unless u plan on going less then 70k, u cannot do the dual lbx 10 and 4srm, with sufficient ammo. its a medium. there is no sense in making it that slow. i have been trying this build on the jager A, and keeping 5 spare tonnes left to mimic a 55 tonner. and its not working to well, and what i got has it going less 69k with no heat sinks. so a 55 tonne mech prob would go like 74ish... a 75 tonne timber goes 89k with way more fire power lol... so i dunno

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Having seen the geometry and how low the ST hard points are, my theory crafting has turned into a debate over whether to get a refund. I think it's gonna suck.

#8 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostTercieI, on 23 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Having seen the geometry and how low the ST hard points are, my theory crafting has turned into a debate over whether to get a refund. I think it's gonna suck.

I... didn't think it was that bad Posted Image

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 23 January 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#9 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 23 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

unless u plan on going less then 70k, u cannot do the dual lbx 10 and 4srm, with sufficient ammo. its a medium. there is no sense in making it that slow. i have been trying this build on the jager A, and keeping 5 spare tonnes left to mimic a 55 tonner. and its not working to well, and what i got has it going less 69k with no heat sinks. so a 55 tonne mech prob would go like 74ish... a 75 tonne timber goes 89k with way more fire power lol... so i dunno

Who's been talking about dual LBX10 + SRM builds? Single LBX and SRMs is totally feasible but as you mention dual LBX would be hard to fit with any sort of speed.

#10 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 23 January 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

The Bushwacker is the only IS medium that will be able to run a 3xAC5 build, so I expect to see a lot of that. LBX10 + SRM builds will probably also be quite popular and dual AC10 should show up too.

For the X1 I'm thinking something along the lines of 3xSRM6, LBX10 and MGS. I'm gonna wait and see until tomorrow before I buy it.

#11 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

The light gauss rifle when it comes out will be a neat addition to this mech :D

#12 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

I don't get your point CDOUG... I'm saying these are the builds I mostly expect to see:
  • LBX + SRMs
  • 2xAC10
  • 3xAC5
Never talked about 2xLBX10 + SRMs.

#13 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

I hope people post builds on day 1. I'm rather meek at building mechs.

#14 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

View PostTercieI, on 23 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Looking at cockpit vs arm height, I'd say the whacker is better off than most humanoid mediums.

I guess the most common build will be the BSW-P1 with 5/6x SRM6A (+1ML )
Splatwhacker (10t lighter than splat cat an can mount a laser and have a shield arm)

Or a standard build, fitting most of the variants: 2x UAC5 + ERLL

Edited by Reno Blade, 24 January 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#15 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 23 January 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

I don't get your point CDOUG... I'm saying these are the builds I mostly expect to see:
  • LBX + SRMs
  • 2xAC10
  • 3xAC5
Never talked about 2xLBX10 + SRMs.

sorry maybe i misread i apologize

#16 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:12 AM

Mah bad, guys, the idea of wacker being able to carry a big gun in his strong arm stuck in my head due to MW3 nostalgia. That's why i thought about ac20+4srm4. This would be my favourite medium setup by far, but now... look how two teeny-tiny fixed slots can ruin your life!

3ac5, 2ac10/lbx10, 5srm6A, maybe gauss+2ppc on a hero. For other things you have shadow hawks and griffins, both of which right now seem like you dont need any bushwackers in your garage, given overall crapy quirks. I'm too seriously thinking of refund now, i dont expect to have much fun with it until new weapons come around. I could live with crapiness if wacker was a good lokin at least, but it's ugly as hell.

#17 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

It's still gonna be fun, trust me!
I mean, come on, I trust me, and look where that got me!!*

*I know, you guys can't see me, but you get the idea!!**

**Wait.. what were we takling about?

Edited by Willothius, 24 January 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#18 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 23 January 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

I... didn't think it was that bad Posted Image

I got my refund. I've been wrong before, but nothing in the base pack excited me once I saw the hardpoints and actual geometry. Those SRM STs are going to make brawlers just 'splode and dual AC/10 with an XL255 and low/mid mounts feels really meh to me (I find dual 10s underwhelming in the best of circumstances and nothing here elevates it).

Edited by TercieI, 24 January 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#19 tatersaladftw

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

BW-S2

quad SRM4 with artemis and 2 medium pulse with a deadside arm and an XL300 seems to work fine.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostTercieI, on 24 January 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I got my refund. I've been wrong before, but nothing in the base pack excited me once I saw the hardpoints and actual geometry. Those SRM STs are going to make brawlers just 'splode and dual AC/10 with an XL255 and low/mid mounts feels really meh to me (I find dual 10s underwhelming in the best of circumstances and nothing here elevates it).

That's why I will be running 3 5s with an XL255 and 7 tons of ammo :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users