Is Assualt Suggestions?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

I am looking for suggestions on an IS assult and a couple of variants to pick up to round out my IS mech stable. My understanding with these threads is that I should provide some background of the play style I enjoy to better help the recommendations. So here goes:

I have recently come back to MWO and have been playing this game for a bit now and I am currently drawn to ballistics. I love the UAC5/ and AC/5's (and the other AC variants) and have been enjoying the Dakka Play stay quite a bit as i have the Kodiak pack on the clan side. (K-2, K-3, and SB being the most enjoyed) I also have been having a lot of fun with the Warhammer Heavy on the IS side of things at the moment. [Except for the non ballistic variant I have to play to master the chasis Posted Image ] I am not a big fan of long range sniping and prefer to do my battling in the mid range and short range, and don't mind having some lazers as a backup weapon but I tend to favor medium pulse lazers when necessary. I have also had some fun on my spirit bear with an lbx build that incorporates srm's for up close brawling.

So I am looking for an IS assault mech that can run some ballistics (preferably a AC variant but am open to lbx) and has good medium range and short range potential. I don't ever want to be in a position where i am relying upon the zoom module and trying to consistently snipe people from 1300km away (read no gauss or erppc) as i don't find that play-style fun.

Hopefully you guys can recommend a solid IS assualt mech that would fit my play style. I am not adverse to getting a mastery pack, or a mech pack and am looking forward to your suggestions.

#2 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Well for IS ballistic assaults your mainly looking at the Mauler, Banshee, and King Crab. Mauler is a pretty solid mech and does ballistics well, lots of options for 4xAC5/4xUAC5 and with the MX even 5xUAC5. One version of the Banshee is known for it's 3xAC5 build, I used to use it a lot in CW. Of course the KGC runs quad UAC-5 builds as well as dual AC-20s and dual gauss. None of these are terribly fast, but the KGC is very slow (compared to anything other than an Atlas or Direwolf).

#3 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostShadey99, on 23 January 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Well for IS ballistic assaults your mainly looking at the Mauler, Banshee, and King Crab. Mauler is a pretty solid mech and does ballistics well, lots of options for 4xAC5/4xUAC5 and with the MX even 5xUAC5. One version of the Banshee is known for it's 3xAC5 build, I used to use it a lot in CW. Of course the KGC runs quad UAC-5 builds as well as dual AC-20s and dual gauss. None of these are terribly fast, but the KGC is very slow (compared to anything other than an Atlas or Direwolf).

So of the 3 you listed crab, mauler, and banshee, how would you rank them? Sounds like you think crab is a distant third and i should be looking at banshee or mauler is that right?

#4 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

There is also the cyclops hero which can also run quad AC 2/5/LB 10x, or dual gauss/AC 20 and your choice of engine size. Mauler for credits prob a one of the better choices for real Dakka love without paying real cash/MC.

#5 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

I was doing some investigating looks like banshee really ins't very focused on ballistics except for a single variant. So it is likely between the Mauler and the King Crab.

View PostTemu, on 24 January 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

There is also the cyclops hero which can also run quad AC 2/5/LB 10x, or dual gauss/AC 20 and your choice of engine size. Mauler for credits prob a one of the better choices for real Dakka love without paying real cash/MC.

Is that the Sleipiner that I keep hearing so much about? Might have to pick it up in the next sale, everyone really seems to rave about that mech.

If cash / MC was on the table though would you recommend the King Crab or the Mauler?

#6 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

i would never buy those two with MC.. would just build up the credits. But the Sleipnier is a nice option to have on hand for IS.

#7 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

So is there a recommendation between the King Crab and the Mauler then?

#8 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostMalrock, on 24 January 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

So is there a recommendation between the King Crab and the Mauler then?

If you are just looking to boat dakka, get the Mauler.

#9 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostMalrock, on 24 January 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

So of the 3 you listed crab, mauler, and banshee, how would you rank them? Sounds like you think crab is a distant third and i should be looking at banshee or mauler is that right?

I'd rank them in the order I listed them actually. Though as mentioned the Banshee really only has one variant that can do the 3 AC5, so yes until they change the system requiring 3 variants it's not your best choice. And the downfall for the KGC is mostly it's slow speed. At least in the current meta where a powerful assault like the MAD-IIC can hit 80kph being 2/3rds as fast (and hence 2/3rds slower turning and accelerating/decelerating) is a big thing.

Oh and btw I didn't mention the Cyclops since I've yet to play it. I wasn't compelled into buying the pack and I don't recall it being up for C-bills yet. I'll get to it eventually in my continuing quest to master every mech in the game...

#10 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Depending on how much you are okay with lasers/PPCs, the BNC-3E can also run 2 very high-mounted UAC/5s in the LT, and 2 LPLs or PPCs in the RT, also very high-mounted. Supplement with a pair of MGs in the LT (in case they get close, and to shove the UACs up) with a half ton of ammo, and a pair of MLs in the right, and you have a fairly nasty ranged and in-fighter. I use mine with a STD 325.

#11 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

The Maulers are pretty fragile. I recommend the Sleipnir if you can spend the cash. It's got lots of ballistic options and good hit boxes.

Also, I see more King Crabs than Maulers these days, if that means anything.

#12 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostNRP, on 01 February 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

The Maulers are pretty fragile. I recommend the Sleipnir if you can spend the cash. It's got lots of ballistic options and good hit boxes.

I second that. Sleipnir is tanky enough that it doesn't feel fragile with an XL 360 engine (big engine helps with torso twisting).

#13 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 06 February 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

I second that. Sleipnir is tanky enough that it doesn't feel fragile with an XL 360 engine (big engine helps with torso twisting).

Will keep my eye out for the next time the Sleipnir goes on sale. Sounds like one i would definitely enjoy, but will have to see how the coming talent trees unfold. I suspect, i wouldn't much enjoy the other variants of that chasis.

#14 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostMalrock, on 07 February 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Will keep my eye out for the next time the Sleipnir goes on sale. Sounds like one i would definitely enjoy, but will have to see how the coming talent trees unfold. I suspect, i wouldn't much enjoy the other variants of that chasis.

You can't go wrong with any of the Maulers. #1 IS ballistic chassis IMO.

I own almost all IS assaults and all 4 Maulers are deadly mechs.

For me second would be the king crab, it brings more power with less speed. 6x dakka can be had on one variant, with the tonnage to make use of it.

I will be getting Cyclops mechs in the near future, I'm sure I'll like them. ECM variant should be interesting.

Edited by Amsro, 07 February 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#15 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

+1 for quad AC5 Sleipnir. Really like that mech. Also the Cyclpos variant, with 3 ballistic hardpoints, can't remember the name. I have had really good results with that one (2xLBX10, 3 mlas, 3 LRM5).

#16 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

Try this one man .

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c5c9b9782ae3b1

You use the machine guns only to up lift two of the uac's so you can shoot over sh@t.
Don't waist tonnage on the machine gun ammo,, belive me you dont need them.
In CW 9/10 games i will have above 1k damage with this one with a lot of kills.

Also some of my bros are running 5 x ac 5s.

#17 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PosttheUgly, on 17 February 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

Try this one man .

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c5c9b9782ae3b1

You use the machine guns only to up lift two of the uac's so you can shoot over sh@t.
Don't waist tonnage on the machine gun ammo,, belive me you dont need them.
In CW 9/10 games i will have above 1k damage with this one with a lot of kills.

Also some of my bros are running 5 x ac 5s.

How much difference does having that Machine gun make in the height of your upper most weapons?

#18 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

People recommending the King Crab? Really? Knuckle dragger syndrome AND arms are wide as hell... not even a contest when compared to the Mauler.

#19 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

IT seems you love dakka. i do too! The assault you want is a King-crab -OOOB with 4 UAC5s. The kingcrab is the king of dakka. I have beat a Kodiak in a 1v1 multiple times with my king crab. I mean with the new quirk system you will be tougher and more powerful than ever!

#20 De Monte Alto

• PipPip
  • Leftenant
  • Leftenant
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

Atlas AS7 S - King Crab 0000 - Slepnir are my favourate Assaults.

Yet to try Mauler & Banshee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users