What Do You Think Of The Light Gauss Rifle?

98 replies to this topic

#1 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

I've had this weapon system on my mind for quite some time, and was wondering what the community thinks of it, as far as if it opens up new opportunities for some of the Inner Sphere mechs. I loved using them in Mechcommander, but that doesn't mean the Baby Gauss will translate well to MWO.

These are the lore specs, according to Sarna:

8 damage
5 critical slots
12 tons
750m optimal
16 shots per ton

Let's assume PGI was to bump it up to 20 per ton, since they increase the Gauss Rifle from 8 to 10 shots, when translating it from lore.

Gauss Rifle:

15 damage
7 criitical slots
15 ton
660m optimal range
8 shots per ton (10 in MWO)

Where can you see this weapon being useful, if at all?
Would any of the specs need to be altered?
Should it have a charge? Higher velocity?

Bonus Question: How close is the LGR to being a better AC/10?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

It is precisely 2 damage away from being a better AC/10.

I don't see it being terribly useful. Maybe drop 1x ERLL and some DHS off of a 5xER LL build to shoehorn it in and get an extreme-range, 44-point alpha by firing through the ghostgeat, but why not just run a stabdard Gauss and 3xLL for a 42 point version if the same thing using a module? The extra range isn't a huge deal.

Might be marginally better for poptarting but, tbqh, I'd rather use an HVAC/10.

#3 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

It will need a range boost like iERLL and ERPPCs got in this game to be something useful. Ideally it should be the extreme range version of the Gauss now that the Gauss is nerfed at that range.

Something like this:
10 damage
5 critical slots
12 tons
810m optimal
15 shots per ton (adjusted for MWO)

Velocity should probably be around 2000-3000m/s depending on the charge up amount. I would prefer around 2500m/s with a 0.5 second charge up.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 23 January 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

2 AC5s do its job better

#5 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 23 January 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

2 AC5s do its job better

For a lot more heat, tons and crit space.... for a shorter range....

#6 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Damn it, I was going to make this thread. Had half of it typed up, and I was going to include the LB 20-X to, and call it 'The New Ballistics - How To Make them Useful?'

*******!

Anyway... The LGR is actually a pretty crap weapon. It gives up nearly 33% of the damage per ton of the Gauss Rifle, for a measly 3 tons and 90/180 meters range. Just atrocious, especially considering it will likely be saddled with the Gauss Rifles charge mechanic.

If it were me, I'd say give it the old GR range, a minor rate of fire increase, and allow 3-4 of them to be fired at once (I'd go with 4. If you're willing to give up 48 tons just to get the old Dual Gauss Rifle's range and damage profile, you deserve it). That may make it somewhat usable.

Barely.

As for it replacing the AC/10, no. It wouldn't replace it or the LB 10-X, as both of those weapons are better suited to mid-range brawling due to autocannon mechanics. If there wasn't a charge mechanic, and it kept Gauss levels of velocity... well, that would be a problem.

#7 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

The concept of a lighter, faster, more ammo'd Gauss rifle could work in MWO, if in a somewhat niche-y role I imagine. I'd definitely rejigger the stats, however; the TT version is kind of butt.

10 damage with a short charge, or if it's forced to the TT stock 8 then it can be a snapfire alternative to the regular Goose. As to where it'd be used...mostly on machines with slot or weight limitations preventing a full-up Goose. Dual light gauss snipers might be able to have some impact in the Sphere heavy bracket, though not nearly so much as regular Gauss hitters. Still, can run dual L-Gauss with a lot less ammo overall and shoehorn a double PPFLD Goose fit on 'Mechs that can't quite manage an effective dual regular-Goose fit.

#8 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

All I can think about when it comes to the Light Gauss Rifle is that I hope it doesn't have a charge up.

+1 for tag toggle and full auto UAC's to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 23 January 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#9 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Clearly a niche weapon, mostly for heavy Mechs. You can go dual LGR and have some meaningful back-up weaponry. Also do not forget the new LFE: a JägerMech e.g. with LFE and dual LGR and still sport some lasers, while being much safer than the usual dual gauss.
Again, perhaps not the most effective use of a Mech and totally niche, but I would like to try and see what I can do with it.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 23 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Clearly a niche weapon, mostly for heavy Mechs. You can go dual LGR and have some meaningful back-up weaponry. Also do not forget the new LFE: a JägerMech e.g. with LFE and dual LGR and still sport some lasers, while being much safer than the usual dual gauss.
Again, perhaps not the most effective use of a Mech and totally niche, but I would like to try and see what I can do with it.

And don't forget the Templar Delta, arm mounted XLPL's and ST mounted LGR's....

#11 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

It's hard to tell where and how it's going to be useful, as we don't know how it's stats will deviate from TT and from the existing GRs.

You can fit two in an actuator-less arm or torso with light engine, so I'm pretty sure it will at least be used for that. Whether it gets used in other ways will depend on what PGI does with it.

Edited by Kanil, 23 January 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#12 RoadblockXL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

All they need to do is adjust its range and velocity to make it the alternative, sniping weapon to the AC10.

You know... like they already do with the AC20 and GR.

As far as those numbers go, the LGR should shoot farther and at a higher velocity than the GR. It should also have a faster cooldown.

I think it's safe to assume that all GRs will have to be charged, but one way to make the LGR more attractive would be to give it a faster charge time.

What mechs might carry it? My guess would be mediums that could take it along with ERLLs. If it has a faster charge time, it could be used for jump sniping, so Shadow Hawks, Enforcers, the Uziel that I hope will be announced could potentially use it.

#13 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Seems like it will suffer from AC10-syndrome. I.e. it's usually better to just spend a few extra tons in order to have a weapon that is almost twice as god. There are few mechs that can run 2xAC10, but can't run 2xAC20. (And there are few mechs that can run 2xAC20, but can't run 4xUAC5 or 5xAC5)

At 12 tons per weapon, there aren't a lot of mechs that can run triple or quad light gauss. And those mechs would probably do better with quad UAC5 if the goal was mid-range DPS instead of long-range alpha strikes.

The only certain way to give it a purpose is to give it exactly the same speed as PPC or ER PPC, for maximum poptart warfare. But PGI probably won't do that.

#14 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

I'm kind of mixed, on whether it would need the charge mechanic. A 53% of the big boy GR's damage, it doesn't pose the same pre-charge balance concerns, the main being able to snap shot massive PP damage. Would 8 heat free damage be too much in brawling range?

I guess it could have an extremely short charge up, but I think it's the snap fire sniper weapon the game deserves.

But yeah the TT stats aren't looking good, as it's hard to justify 2x LGR vs just one GR.

Heavy bracket mechs with double ballistic points in one location only, like some of the Orions or Marauders, and then mechs like the IV-4 and Jagers that can't or barely squeeze in dual Goose, are some of the fringe cases where 2 LGRs might make sense.

Mediums would be niche. Of course saving 3 tons is nice, I have a Phoenix Hawk that would love to carry an LGR versus the AC10 it currently has, Vindicator 1X is in the same boat. The Cicada 3M could fix an LGR and its ECM in the torso with an XL, something it can't do with an AC10.

You should definitely be able to fire 4 at a time, due to the ridiculous tonnage you'd be dedicating to boating that many.

View PostFLG 01, on 23 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

The Jager, with an XL260 and 2x GRs, has about 7 tons of free space left, so that would be 13 with LGRs, but then you have to account for how much tonnage savings you'd lose by going to an LFE. It might be a wash.

View PostRoadblockXL, on 23 January 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

All they need to do is adjust its range and velocity to make it the alternative, sniping weapon to the AC10.

You know... like they already do with the AC20 and GR.

Good point. I don't think giving the LGR 10 points of damage, as some have suggested, does the AC10 any favors.

#15 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Only if it has no charge-up. The Gauss Rifle should not have a charge-up phase according to BattleTech, but the Light Gauss would be worthless with a charge-up. PGI can just make up some reason for it.

#16 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Without knowing the charge/re-charge time hard to know. Hate to face a quad of them though.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 23 January 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

At 12 tons per weapon, there aren't a lot of mechs that can run triple or quad light gauss. And those mechs would probably do better with quad UAC5 if the goal was mid-range DPS instead of long-range alpha strikes.

Given that Light Gauss is meant to have longer range than normal Gauss, making this compete with AC5/AC10s at mid range is a huge mistake and missed opportunity for an extreme range ballistic.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm suddenly strongly against any amount of charge. Give it a second longer cooldown than the AC10 and call it a day.

#19 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

LFE will allow 2 LGRs per ST which could increase their usability since the carrier isn't bogged down by STD.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 23 January 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 23 January 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

LFE will allow 2 LGRs per ST which could increase their usability since the carrier isn't bogged down by STD.

Or you can run a GR, save 15 tons and just go with a standard engine.

Edited by Bombast, 23 January 2017 - 05:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users