Does The Huntsman Actually Deserve The Nerfs?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Of all the nerfs happening tomorrow, the Huntsman nerfs have me scratching my head the most.

From my experience, the arms come of VERY easily, and the side torsos aren't much better. Running at least some torso weapons feels mandatory if you want the mech to have any semblance of staying power (especially in a brawl), and twisting was one of the few means the mech had to defend it's garbage hitboxes and so you go and nerf that?
And how does the HBK-IIC being OP at jump sniping mean you should go and nerf an inferior mech?

You should have at least given the mech some arm armor quirks or something to compensate. You just made most builds of the mech crappy without making the crappy arm-only builds any better.

#2 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

Don't question it, just accept the cold, hard truth.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

I run mine with srms so its not getting nerfed at all. Only the laser spam will get a slight nerf.

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The Prime laser quirks aren't particularly useful (Pulse works better on the chassis), and it's nearest 'rival,' the Hunchback IIC, is getting the same nerfs.

Though, as to whether it deserved it... probably not.

#5 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostPromessa, on 23 January 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Yeah, those aren't great. They said they did this to be impartial because they feel the mechs are similar.. I've never seen a poptart hunstaman, I barely see any hunstmen at all.

That will change. The Huntsman will be out for C-Bills in a couple of weeks.

#6 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

I don't know that it needed to be nerfed as hard as the HBK-IIC given that it is slightly inferior at poptarting in comparison but then again considering that the BJ-1X still has less torso twist than either (iirc), I guess it's only fair. Clan mechs have ridiculous twist range compared to many IS counterparts.

#7 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

What's fun is the number of folks who predicted that the Huntsman would come out and just auto-obsolete the entire Clan medium category. it was going to be the Medium 'Mech to end all medium 'Mechs, the best thing since whole-wheat Marauders.

And now people forget it's even in the game until it shows up in patch notes.

Oh, MWO Playerbase. You are amuse.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostPromessa, on 23 January 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Yeah, those aren't great. They said they did this to be impartial because they feel the mechs are similar.. I've never seen a poptart hunstaman, I barely see any hunstmen at all.

That's because the Hunchback IIC does most of the same things, for free.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

What's fun is the number of folks who predicted that the Huntsman would come out and just auto-obsolete the entire Clan medium category. it was going to be the Medium 'Mech to end all medium 'Mechs, the best thing since whole-wheat Marauders.

And now people forget it's even in the game until it shows up in patch notes.

Oh, MWO Playerbase. You are amuse.

Uh, if it's not available for C-bills, you cannot see the full effect (just like the Summoner-loyalty omnipods).

I look at this preemptive strike for something that hasn't actually manifested yet, because the superior alternative is already available for C-bills (the HBK-IIC-A).

Edited by Deathlike, 23 January 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 January 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Uh, if it's not available for C-bills, you cannot see the full effect (just like the Summoner-loyalty omnipods).

I look at this preemptive strike for something that hasn't actually manifested yet, because the superior alternative is already available for C-bills (the HBK-IIC-A).

Marauder IIC isn't out for C-bills and won't be for months. It's already considered to've obsoleted every single Clan assault 'Mech in the game that isn't a KDK-3. The C-bill excuse is a thin one; the Huntsman simply isn't the be-all end-all Ultimate 50-ton Weapons Platform everyone was certain it would be, methinks. It's good, but it ain't no Stormcrow.

#11 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Marauder IIC isn't out for C-bills and won't be for months. It's already considered to've obsoleted every single Clan assault 'Mech in the game that isn't a KDK-3. The C-bill excuse is a thin one; the Huntsman simply isn't the be-all end-all Ultimate 50-ton Weapons Platform everyone was certain it would be, methinks. It's good, but it ain't no Stormcrow.

That was not that hard. All the Clan Assaults were widely considered sub par and infereior to the IS choices until the Kodiak came out and turned that on its head. A lot of people are still leveling the Marauder IIC and they are showing up on the battlefield quite a bit right now. That will decrease as the newer Mechs come in.

The Huntsman it more versatile than the Stormcrow and can fill a lot more roles.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

When the "Huntsman craze" was over, it was self-evident that it wasn't popular by the masses. So, relative to a lot of things, the Huntsman didn't have the lasting power that the Hunchback-IIC-A had.

The difference is that something like the Summoner-Loyalty variants (particularly omnipods) has had a limited release, but anyone who owns them are using them as much as they can (outside of leagues, which are banned for another 9 months at least).

The Marauder-IIC has already more staying power due to having JJs... something most Clan Assaults suck at using (Maruader-IIC has Victor-level JJs, which are still far and away superior than the Hoverjets™ of the Executioner, Dire Wolf, and Hoverlander-IIC).

Edited by Deathlike, 23 January 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Heh. Whatever the reasoning, I simply find it humorous that the Huntsman was supposed to be this omnicompetent UberMech that would render every other medium design in existence superfluous, but now it's almost forgotten and considered barely a blip on the radar. It didn't even replace the Stormcrow, that thing everyone expected it to do without even trying. Hell, it didn't even replace the Nova. Perhaps the C-bill release will help, but somehow I kinda doubt it.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Heh. Whatever the reasoning, I simply find it humorous that the Huntsman was supposed to be this omnicompetent UberMech that would render every other medium design in existence superfluous, but now it's almost forgotten and considered barely a blip on the radar. It didn't even replace the Stormcrow, that thing everyone expected it to do without even trying. Hell, it didn't even replace the Nova. Perhaps the C-bill release will help, but somehow I kinda doubt it.

YOu wouldn't know it by the QQ me and Pariah got in Scouting over it. We dropped with CK16 and slapped around some GRF/Pxide lances and the QQ...

"It's such bullcrap dude! You got EIGHT SRM racks....."

Which is doubly funny as the 8 SRM build really isn't very good....and Pariah and I both were running 4xSRM6/4x SPL HMNs..... I I believe CK was alternating between Shadowcats and Vipers.

Used in it's niche, it's a solid performer, I have found, but no, it's not a world beater. HBK is a better Pop/Peektart (the Scat is questionable... sure seems hot with 2x ERPPC), Nova is defintely better suited for PewPew Vomit.

And outside of Scouting the SCrow probably is the better SRM mech, overall...though the ability to sink SRMs is superior and simpler, IMO, with the HMN. And of course..sometimes, JJs are nice, which the Crow can't do.

So yeah. Viable, but probably not Optimal. I'm OK with that. I prefer not to run what the meta masses sheeple off to, anyhow. I'm sad that reputation is hung around my GRFs neck, now.

#15 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'm sad that reputation is hung around my GRFs neck, now.

Kinda ironic that both the Griffin and the Vindicator are probably better off splat brawling (if the Vindi got an extra missile hardpoint or two) than they are at PPC poptarting.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

YOu wouldn't know it by the QQ me and Pariah got in Scouting over it. We dropped with CK16 and slapped around some GRF/Pxide lances and the QQ...

"It's such bullcrap dude! You got EIGHT SRM racks....."

Which is doubly funny as the 8 SRM build really isn't very good....and Pariah and I both were running 4xSRM6/4x SPL HMNs..... I I believe CK was alternating between Shadowcats and Vipers.

Used in it's niche, it's a solid performer, I have found, but no, it's not a world beater. HBK is a better Pop/Peektart (the Scat is questionable... sure seems hot with 2x ERPPC), Nova is defintely better suited for PewPew Vomit.

And outside of Scouting the SCrow probably is the better SRM mech, overall...though the ability to sink SRMs is superior and simpler, IMO, with the HMN. And of course..sometimes, JJs are nice, which the Crow can't do.

So yeah. Viable, but probably not Optimal. I'm OK with that. I prefer not to run what the meta masses sheeple off to, anyhow. I'm sad that reputation is hung around my GRFs neck, now.

Frankly I'm not really familiar with an 8M Huntsman configuration that isn't realistically bettered by, or at least equal to, the 6M/3E fit you can do with the P and C pods, minus Pakhet. Heh, frankly one of the reasons I really want ATMs in/to not suck is a 6x ATM-3 fit I've got with P arms and C STs that looks like it'd be a great GP funboat for quick play.

But yeah. It's not going to beat the Stormcrow at being a Stormcrow, the Nova at being a Nova, or the Viper at being a Viper. it's as close as the Clans really get to a bland trooper-style 'Mech...which is only right and just, given its reason for existing in the first place.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 23 January 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Kinda ironic that both the Griffin and the Vindicator are probably better off splat brawling (if the Vindi got an extra missile hardpoint or two) than they are at PPC poptarting.

Tell me about it.

Sadly.... one of my all time favorite stock Mechs is the GRF-2N, but it's silly to arm it that way in MWO (not terrible in Stock Matches..but not great, either)

When Griffins and VNDs first dropped I drove the heck out of them. Still like my 1AA and SIB.... but.... they just....

Oh well. Am hoping this talk from Russ about revisiting hardpoints on older units..... maybe will get my VNDs their badly missing extra missile slot.

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Yep, the Huntsman is in need of some buffs not nerfs. To easy to kill with LRMs due to it's upturned CT. MWO mechs die to fast PGI needs to buff ALL OF THEM.

I was watching some MWLL videos last night and thought, wow, those are MECHs. They take a beating before the armor fails. MWO should play like that.

Also... I looked at the Bushwhacker video and as you might suspect from looking at it, the arms explode from taking too many hits, especially the right arm. All the Bushwhackers in the battle quickly had no right arms. Oh well. MWO needs alot tougher mechs, silly PGI never fixed it.

Edited by Lightfoot, 23 January 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Frankly I'm not really familiar with an 8M Huntsman configuration that isn't realistically bettered by, or at least equal to, the 6M/3E fit you can do with the P and C pods, minus Pakhet. Heh, frankly one of the reasons I really want ATMs in/to not suck is a 6x ATM-3 fit I've got with P arms and C STs that looks like it'd be a great GP funboat for quick play.

But yeah. It's not going to beat the Stormcrow at being a Stormcrow, the Nova at being a Nova, or the Viper at being a Viper. it's as close as the Clans really get to a bland trooper-style 'Mech...which is only right and just, given its reason for existing in the first place.

When the P Pods hit for Cbills, I greatly look forward to stinkfists for my HMN. IDK what it is...but I LOVE mechs with quad SRM4/6s in their arms.... the look, the easier tracking of lights.... But the torso weaponry..... a PPC? UAC10? LB10X? Decisions.....

#20 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

When the P Pods hit for Cbills, I greatly look forward to stinkfists for my HMN. IDK what it is...but I LOVE mechs with quad SRM4/6s in their arms.... the look, the easier tracking of lights.... But the torso weaponry..... a PPC? UAC10? LB10X? Decisions.....

Nah nah nah.

Three cMPLs, for picking off components weakened but not quite finished off by the SRMs. You can get 6M/3E, so use 6M. And 3E.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users