Let's Talk: Phoenix Hawk Champion Discussion

30 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Regarding the community-created Phoenix Hawk Builds here: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/243311-phoenix-hawk-champion-build/page__st__20

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Phoenix Hawk builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Phoenix Hawk Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Phoenix Hawk 2
Build #2: Phoenix Hawk 1K
Build #3: Phoenix Hawk 2

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

#2 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

I'd say build #3. It's got great speed and the firepower is decent. The fact that it actually has a decent number of jumpjets is also nice. The ECM + high speed are great survivability tools that would help new players.

Also if you choose build #2, please reduce the head armor by two points and bump the engine up to a 325. The build linked there has almost 0.5 tons unused.

#3 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

build #3

#4 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Build #2.

I skipped submitting any pixie options since it was clear already from the other topics that practical for "new players" was largely being ignored to chase meta builds but this is the least objectionable of the three pixies short listed to me as its close to how I run my own PHX-1K (I have more engine and less heatsinks). The 1 jump jet on build #1 I find especially a waste of time. Like the single jump jet on the HBK-IIC champion last time around.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

Build #1 - good build.

Build #2 - SPL is too short of range. Would not recommend.

Build #3 - good build. I like that it has extra jumpjets and a faster engine. That is unnecessary, but it will make the mech more run for new players.

I vote for Build #3, because it has a little extra range in the medium lasers, and it is fast with ECM and jumpjets so that it can play a sneaky harasser light mech type role. I might even recommending upgrading these to ER medium lasers when the new tech arrives later this year.

#6 Schoololo

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

I think Phoenix Hawk 2 laser chassis is the best for for a beginner. So it is 1 or 3. But it can have all the options, so new player can study what they are. I have just made some and realised, that the topic is closed... I am were sorry, but I just want to show it too much) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d4aac42b226c86

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

Build #3 on account of ECM coupled with great mobility.

#2 lacks range and is very explicitly newbie unfriendly, forcing them to advance into point blank range with an XL engine and no ECM,

#1 is bizarre with that lone jump jet: jump capability on paper, practically only useful for facing changes, not something newbies will be aware of enough to utilize,.

#8 Hauptmann Krause

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Build #2. It's a great harasser, closing in quickly and dishing out a rapid burst of damage to the back of an enemy. It forces them to carefully flank, as there is no ECM saving grace to pull their *** out. And, as I said with the Warhammer... Learn to twist the damn damage!

#9 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Build #2 doesn't know what its role is, and is too short range for new players.

Build #3 would be fun for new players, is very fast, has ECM and JJs. I recommend Build #3.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 24 January 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#10 ThatFnGuy

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I personally use Build #2 after I saw Larsh's videos long before this who Champion Mech voting thing ever came up. I gotta say I love this build. Its just as fast as some of the lights, but harder hitting, has a better torso twist angle, and more heavily armored. Before this build and his PHX-1B build I rarely played Mediums, now its basically all I play because I found I like the mobility vs the tankiness of Heavy mechs. I feel #2 is a good trainer for anyone interested in Lights, fast paced brawling between mediums & lights, or harassment style fighting. A lot of people harp on the PHX-1K for lacking ECM, but I found its not a necessity on this mech so long as you make proper use of cover.

#11 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

#3.
Easy choice with ECM and big engine.

#12 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

Three is most useful. Please drop to a 340XL with a fifth JJ though. More jump is well worth 2 kph.

#13 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Build 3: Doesn't have to get quite as close as Build 1, and Build 2 looks like suicide. Also ECM and no XL engine, so it's about as survivable as an IS 45-tonner can be. With each arm as a weapon group, heat could be managed, although alpha-striking will boil you like rice. And look at the speed! I'd drive it.

#14 T I N M A N

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMontana, USA

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Build number one by far. The firepower of medium pulses might run hot, but it packs a nasty punch. One jump jet is all that is needed, to get over small obstacles and jump small gaps (like on canyon network).

Build number two has too short of range and also has no jump capabilites. With as nimble of a chassis as it is, the jump jet exponentially improves it. Also, ecm is lacking.

Build three has no fire power. Normal mediums are useless on mechs of that speed and size. The only times boating mediums makes sense is on something like the hunch-4p, which has 9 energy points, or the blackjack-1x, which has 8 energy points. Neither of those mechs move as fast as Phoenix Hawk. Also, half or more of the mounts are on the side torso on the HBK and BJ, the side torso being far easier to aim than the arms (if arms are unlocked).
The difficulty of holding mediums on a target for the whole duration while traveling 133KPH combined with the uselessness of 4 jump jets (at what point will you need to jump so high with such limited range?) makes this build pointless.

Contrast that to the first build, which uses medium pulses to compensate for this with lower duration. A single Jump jet being all that is needed to hop small obstacles and chasms. The speed is still respectable, and two extra heat sinks helps compensate for the heat.

The amount of votes speaks for itself; build 1 is by far superior.

EDIT: Also, 8 rear armor is excessive for a 45 tonner.

Edited by NightStalker97, 26 January 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#15 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

2 has no ECM, so it's out. I'm going with 3 for the much bigger engine and jumpiness.

#16 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

Why do we keep getting so many very similar plain laser options? yes they are easy for new players but then all the trial mechs end up having the same weapon systems and the new players may learn the mech but not the various weapon options.

there were some interesting LL or PPC options in the initial thread.

Vote Build 3 out of these mediocre options for the reasons Tarogato outlined above.

#17 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

#3 for sure.

#18 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

No doubt in my mind.

#19 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

Build #3 Great mobility, jumpjets, decent range and ecm.

The other 2 builds are solid builds, but not as new player friendly as #3

It's a great showcase for everything the phoenix hawk can do right.

#20 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

6 ML with 13 DHS and no heatgen quirks is going to be HOT.

MPLs deal more damage per heat generated, and build #1 has enough DHS to make 6 MPL work. 100kph is slow for a PXH, but it's still enough for everything except harassing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users