Win 10 Insider And 'game Mode'?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

i have the win 10 home fee upgrade, i see there is a new win10 insider update with a game mode built into xbox.i found a win setting to become an insider, does it cost anything? will i get spammed with all kinds of updates?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

No clue since I don't want to be on a possibly unstable release, however this will probably make your decision easier:
  • Game mode has only been shown to increase performance by a paltry 2-5%, which is application-dependent and regular Win32 apps (things that aren't UWP or whatever) like MWO might not even see that much
  • Game mode will not take very long to come to the regular 'stable' Win10 release

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Insider isn't really recommended unless you're a dev and need to be on the edge.

The only other good reason to join the insider program is if you don't want to pay for windows and need the features a deactivated version restricts.

If you've got the free-upgrade stick with that, there's no guarantee you can roll back to the free version if the insider build cripples your system. If that happens your options would be a deactivated version, insider build or paying for a license.

Most insider features are migrated across once they're stable.

#4 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

You can go Insider, then set the ring to "Release Preview". Basically you get the (almost) stable build a week or so before full release. Insider also gives you "Pro" version.

Also, it's handy for free copies of Windows.

Do not go Fast ring, you could end up getting multiple different builds in a week. Slow ring is generally no more than one or two builds a month.

Edited by darqsyde, 29 January 2017 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users