What Is The Best Lrm Boat In The Game?

186 replies to this topic

#1 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

To you. Now there are those that will say that lrms boats are useless. And that is their opinion. That aside what do you think is the best mech for missile boating and why?

I will start.

Kintaro golden boy.

It can carry 5 lrm 5's and either 3 medium lasers or a tag and 2 medium lasers. But what makes it one of the greatest lrm boats to me is what it can do and does not do.

Firstly it can carry a respectable amount of ammo for it's racks. I carry 1600 rounds. which gives it endurance. It is not a front line mech so running an XL engine is not a huge disadvantage. with that big engine it is fairly nimble and can get around the battle field and put it's missiles where they are needed. It can carry a good bit of armor while carrying a good payload and still move quickly. It can either lob 25 missiles all at once or suppress with 5 missiles at a time. I have found the constant missile stream can cause some pilots to just freeze up as they can't cope with the shake. and it has a good heat profile. Not too hot, so it can sustain it's rate of fire almost indefinitely. Finally it has either 3 medium lasers (which i run) for self defense or 2 mediums lasers and a tag for targeting ecm covered mechs. That is what it does.

What it doesn't do is:
Take up a heavy or assault slot with a missile boat.
Run hot unless heavily pressed.
Doesn't put a low weight medium in the medium slot. 55 tons here.
Isn't a static target (it can move around). thus avoiding being isolated in the rear by lights
does not lack self defense like many missile boats will.

These are some of the reasons I believe the Kintaro Golden Boy may be the best and most versatile missile platform in the game.

What is in your opinion the best.

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:10 AM

I think I miss my old HBK-4J.

#3 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

I like the absent one best.

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

I'm biased, but I'm going to say the Catapult.

-All variants can carry jump jets
-Relatively XL safe, which allows it to carry back up weapons, a decent tube count, good ammo, and a 300 rated engine (Which gives very good speed, weight wise)
-High missile hard points, so you never have to worry about clipping the terrain, and can fire safely over teammates
-Actually pretty decent at pushing, and can win a face fight if you can maintain just the right range (Which jump jets and the 300XL help with)

All Catapults (The missile ones, anyway) can carry an LRM30A and good back up weapons. The CPLT-C1 can carry 4 MLs or MPLs as back ups, which are useful for self defense of late game finishing moves, while the CPLT-A1 can carry an LRM30A and an SRM12A for close range tomfoolry, or, if you get brave (Which you should), pounding people in the face at 220 meters with all 42 tubes.

View PostWolvesX, on 31 January 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Wow. Can't believe we got one pro-LRM post in before this. You guys are slacking.

#5 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Orion's 75 ton kickass highly underrated but I love em.
A very versatile platform.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'm thinking maybe... Catapult A1 (6 LRM), Archer 5W (8 LRM), Mad Dog MDD-A (6 LRM).

#7 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

What Is The Best Lrm Boat In The Game?

the one that works lol

Edited by Davegt27, 31 January 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

My personal opinion is that LRM5's don't count towards being an LRM boat, because IMO you really should have at least 40 LRMs to be a boat, otherwise you're actually a skirmisher.

(though it is also my opinion that a bunch of LRM5's are only effective against potatoes)

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 31 January 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#9 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

Best LRM boat is dead LRM boat.

#10 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

I don't use missile boats much but my MAD-5D with 2 ALRM15, 4 MPL, TAG, BAP, JJ and a 350XL engine works reasonably well.

Personally, I don't really like the all missile hard point mechs since you can't fit TAG and I prefer lasers for close range to SRMs. Also, with that many hard points, Artemis gets very expensive in terms of slots and tonnage.

#11 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

HBK-4J seems to be a good choice
Although the ARC-5W with 9 missile hardpoints is pretty much asking to be cheesed and have all hardpoints filled

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

From experience, my ARC-5W with 8xLRM5s, and KTO-Golden Boy with 5xLRM5s performed the best. Massed LRM5s are thefore ideal, although alphaing more than five at a time does heat up the mech pretty fast. Which is why my Archer fires them lurms 4x4. If only PGI can acquire common sense and raise up Archer's crotchpit, so that I can get my own locks before being riddled with bullets....

Edited by El Bandito, 31 January 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#13 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

AWS-8R, 4xLRM15+Artemis.

Other mechs can vomit out more LRMs per second, probably. But few LRM mechs can bring the pain of 4xLRM15+Artemis, fired in pairs or all together. The amount of torso amour it eats through per salvo is vicious.

IS LRM5 boats and Clan LRM boats are good on maps where the enemy can't escape to cover once the fighting starts and people are popping UAVs and dropping NARCs left right and center, like Polar Highlands. However, the AWS-8R has them all beat on maps with more cover, because of how much damage it can do per salvo.

#14 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

surprised no one mentioned the griffin 2n with 4 lrm 5's. Jump capable and carrying ecm. but really the 2N is better as a 4 Asrm 6 murder mech.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 31 January 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

surprised no one mentioned the griffin 2n with 4 lrm 5's. Jump capable and carrying ecm. but really the 2N is better as a 4 Asrm 6 murder mech.

An LRM20, even in 4x5 format, is pretty underwhelming for a 55 tonner.

#16 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

What Tristan said.

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 31 January 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

What a crappost. Thanks for griefing the thread; you and your Like Buddies sure look cool doing that. Hey, while you're at it can you insult PGI's programmers and demand that x-person gets fired?

My favorite LRM boats are :

NightGyr D with 3 LRM20, 2 LRM15, head-mounted TAG and a ERLL or ERPPC in CT (depends on your ammo requirements). It's a PopLurmer where you feather the JJs to keep your head just above cover to repeatedly sweep your target with TAG as you Lurm.

Marauder IIC Scorch with 4 LRM20+A, a TAG, and a ERLL or ERPPC. Add a few extra heatsinks and, like, 14 tons of ammo for loads of fun. TAG + Art + the reduced LRM20 spread makes it rain death, and LRM20 is the most heat-efficient launcher.

Awesome 8R with quad LRM15, head TAG, and MLs and ammo. Just mind the 180m damage cutoff.

For a change, Hunchback IIC (forget which one) with quad LRM10 or a mix of 10 s and 15s is fun.

#18 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

One of my favorites has always been the CLPT-A1 with LRM10s and a 2 pack of streaks or 6s for close in combat. If you are good at evading just load up on those 10s.

#19 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

The one that uses jumpjets to maintain their own locks and reposition, NARCs their targets to ROFLLURM them into oblivion without assistance, and shares their armor when the time is right instead of sitting at 900m wondering why their missiles never hit.

#20 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 31 January 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

What a crappost. Thanks for griefing the thread; you and your Like Buddies sure look cool doing that. Hey, while you're at it can you insult PGI's programmers and demand that x-person gets fired?

My favorite LRM boats are :

NightGyr D with 3 LRM20, 2 LRM15, head-mounted TAG and a ERLL or ERPPC in CT (depends on your ammo requirements). It's a PopLurmer where you feather the JJs to keep your head just above cover to repeatedly sweep your target with TAG as you Lurm.

Marauder IIC Scorch with 4 LRM20+A, a TAG, and a ERLL or ERPPC. Add a few extra heatsinks and, like, 14 tons of ammo for loads of fun. TAG + Art + the reduced LRM20 spread makes it rain death, and LRM20 is the most heat-efficient launcher.

Awesome 8R with quad LRM15, head TAG, and MLs and ammo. Just mind the 180m damage cutoff.

For a change, Hunchback IIC (forget which one) with quad LRM10 or a mix of 10 s and 15s is fun.

You could argue that this thread is a crappost that belongs in build section of the forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users