Stinger Reseen Prototype (Extremely Crude Wip)

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

So, IDK about you, but for me, inspiration often strikes at the worst of times, like when I don't have any art supplies on hand, am supposed to be doing something else entirely, and only have a section of a piece of notebook paper to work on.....

So that is what happened here, where I finally got what I think is a good mix of traditional and MWO features combined into this crude proto sketch.
Posted Image

I'm posting i to gather feedback, and decide whether to scrap it entirely, carry on to proper sketch, tweaks to make (such as I'm thinking about removing the side panes for the canopy, and give it the more traditional and claustrophobic feel), etc.

So this is one of those instances where feedback is more welcome than normal, as it were.

#2 Pak Hammond

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTrying to run on a connection that has to cross oceans

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

Hi Bishop, this has a good feel for mwo. I would recommend removing the side panes as it should be more cramped. Metal is cheaper than the window. Well done orherwise.

#3 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

I like that rendition of a Stinger. The under-slung ML is a nice change of pace. MG's on the side or top of the arm? MWO versions are small enough that if they appear as they do on a Thunderbolt or Battlemaster I think on the side would be a great look.

Personally I'm all for the side panels being open on the canopy, but that's just me. I'm looking at it how I'd like to see it if I were piloting it. However, for more lore appropriate sketching You'd probably need to at least cut the side panels in half or so to get that cramped feeling.

Makes me curious to see how you'd do a Wasp after this . . . I've admittedly always been more preferential of those.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostSereglach, on 02 February 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I like that rendition of a Stinger. The under-slung ML is a nice change of pace. MG's on the side or top of the arm? MWO versions are small enough that if they appear as they do on a Thunderbolt or Battlemaster I think on the side would be a great look.

Personally I'm all for the side panels being open on the canopy, but that's just me. I'm looking at it how I'd like to see it if I were piloting it. However, for more lore appropriate sketching You'd probably need to at least cut the side panels in half or so to get that cramped feeling.

Makes me curious to see how you'd do a Wasp after this . . . I've admittedly always been more preferential of those.

Admittedly, with a new lore version of the Wasp released recently, it kind of removed any really impetus for me to do one. Honestly, they probably already have a Scroggins made Stinger in the pipeline, too. But ATM I am unaware of one.

TBH, never really liked the WSP, I'm an STG guy.

#5 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Looks good.

Wouldn't go with the rifle style mount for the Medium Laser and the MGs under the arm?

#6 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 February 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

TBH, never really liked the WSP, I'm an STG guy.

Funny, it almost always seems to be one way or another. Very rarely do you find someone that just loves both chassis.

Again, nice Stinger, though. I'd like to see your fleshed out "proper sketch".

#7 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostSereglach, on 02 February 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Funny, it almost always seems to be one way or another. Very rarely do you find someone that just loves both chassis.

Again, nice Stinger, though. I'd like to see your fleshed out "proper sketch".

I love both, but they have different uses, with some overlap.

Like the STG-3R is better at scouting/infantry hunting, while the WSP-1A is better at mech hunting / vehicle busting. Together they make a great pair.

Truth be told, I'm more likely to take a lance that consists of:

STG-3R
STG-3G
STG-3G
PHX-1D

That is when not running a LAM squadron in 3025... yes I am that kind of jerk in a 3025 game.

#8 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Love it. Great proportions and pose, and I especially like the legs.

I'm going to agree with removing the gun arm. The thing is, I don't mind the gun as such, but if you go there, then the STG-3G would presumable have those guns in both arms. And that's just a really goofy look (see many MWO Phoenix Hawks...).

My only slight issue is with the cockpit glass -- to me having a single pane in the front is a defining feature of the Stinger, and I might not recognize this as one. Especially with the gun also gone.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

View Post50 50, on 02 February 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Looks good.

Wouldn't go with the rifle style mount for the Medium Laser and the MGs under the arm?

Never was a big fan of the massive rifle for a one ton medium laser, especially without the detachable weapon quirk. This allows it full use of both hands, and also protects the laser if it's forced to punch with the right arm. (even with a detachable weapon...then you are dropping your main weapon to punch or carry, which seems like a bad idea)

View Postjss78, on 02 February 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Love it. Great proportions and pose, and I especially like the legs.

I'm going to agree with removing the gun arm. The thing is, I don't mind the gun as such, but if you go there, then the STG-3G would presumable have those guns in both arms. And that's just a really goofy look (see many MWO Phoenix Hawks...).

My only slight issue is with the cockpit glass -- to me having a single pane in the front is a defining feature of the Stinger, and I might not recognize this as one. Especially with the gun also gone.

Good feedback, and I will be experimenting with that on the Head, though my concern is that the head as seen in the original, simply could not fit a pilot (even here you are sitting in the torso, with the upper body in the "head") and such. I plan to play with it with both closed sides, and single pane, though.

I'd say that single pane was iconic on the MAD too, and well, we know where that went.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 February 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

I'd say that single pane was iconic on the MAD too, and well, we know where that went.

To file 13 thankfully.... I'm just not a fan of the Glaug look of the original Marauder.... just don't look like she could move.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 February 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

To file 13 thankfully.... I'm just not a fan of the Glaug look of the original Marauder.... just don't look like she could move.

Agreed. I think with mildly revised proportions, the Project Phoenix Marauder is a much more sensible machine. The new Reseen from CGL isn't terrible, (and I like the look of the Glaug... but it's simply too alien to fit Battletech's overall aesthetic... but more to the point, is mechanically NON viable.).

Fortunately, they still are the official look of the Jihad and later. But would like the Phoenix Look for the 3025 era, too, TBH. (ditto with the Thunderbolt, TBH....most others...not so much... I think the Marauder, Thunderbolt and WHM-IIC were the only ones I really loved the concepts of... though I do prefer the popeye arms for the crusader, overall, too)

#12 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 February 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Agreed. I think with mildly revised proportions, the Project Phoenix Marauder is a much more sensible machine. The new Reseen from CGL isn't terrible, (and I like the look of the Glaug... but it's simply too alien to fit Battletech's overall aesthetic... but more to the point, is mechanically NON viable.).

Fortunately, they still are the official look of the Jihad and later. But would like the Phoenix Look for the 3025 era, too, TBH. (ditto with the Thunderbolt, TBH....most others...not so much... I think the Marauder, Thunderbolt and WHM-IIC were the only ones I really loved the concepts of... though I do prefer the popeye arms for the crusader, overall, too)

Well Crusaders should retain the look of a VF-1 in GBP armour....

Posted Image

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 February 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Well Crusaders should retain the look of a VF-1 in GBP armour....

Posted Image

one does not exclude the other....
Posted Image

#14 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 February 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

one does not exclude the other....
Posted Image

That has the right feels :D

#15 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Very nice work!

I like the head you chose much better than the regular reseen look.

About the only thing I'd chance is I'd give the arm laser a gun barrel, simply because I think it looks cooler that way, regardless of the MWO style.

#16 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 February 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

So, IDK about you, but for me, inspiration often strikes at the worst of times, like when I don't have any art supplies on hand, am supposed to be doing something else entirely, and only have a section of a piece of notebook paper to work on.....

This is normal. Always be prepared.
For feedback; you've got a good start, and captured a lot of the classic stinger forms. Keep working on it.

#17 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

You had me at Stinger, but I also really dig it. The head is especially cool, good update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users