7 replies to this topic

#1 MordFustang

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hello, I used to play this game a lot a couple of years ago but took a break.

Last time I played the faction war was being tested, the most recent mech pack i bought was the Masakari pack.

So my question is, starting up again, which pack would be the most useful for me?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostMordFustang, on 04 February 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hello, I used to play this game a lot a couple of years ago but took a break.

Last time I played the faction war was being tested, the most recent mech pack i bought was the Masakari pack.

So my question is, starting up again, which pack would be the most useful for me?

Honestly, if you still have the Masakari pack... You really don't need another mech pack (unless you really wish to have one).

Of course, this choice would be up to you. Without knowing what your typical play style is, recommendations will be inaccurate and ill fitted.

#3 MordFustang

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

I used to play just about anything, except maybe LRM-boats.
So a definite style is hard to present =/

Thanks anyways!

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostMordFustang, on 05 February 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I used to play just about anything, except maybe LRM-boats.
So a definite style is hard to present =/

Thanks anyways!

Well, now I know to avoid possible selections such as the Mad Dog for you, as they rely primarily on missiles and do well with LRMs.

So, you are looking to purchase more/new mechs? The Huntsman is a good new mech, about to be released for C-bills Tuesday if I'm not mistaken. The Hero Huntsman is a solid mech.

If you are looking for something less mobile and more rugged, the Marauder IIC is out in the game but still only open to preorders. Been a solid Assault suggestion from my unit mates. The Bushwacker also just got released and is still for preordered status, and is a solid medium mech from what I've seen. They have a focus more for ballistics and mixed builds.

If you are looking for C-bill suggestions, the Kodiak is still a beast, as well as the Warhammers and Marauders.

Out of mechs you probably already own though (having the Masakari pack), the Nova is still a solid choice. Current meta/competitive builds are 12 ERSLs (beware of range as well as ghost heat, shoot only 6 lasers every 0.5 seconds) and the dual ERPPC Nova. The Summoner is a reasonable choice, but can't really boat any single weapon effectively and must typically run a mixed build. The Summoner's current meta is twin ERPPCs using the (L) version not yet available for C-bills. Then your Warhawk can be a brute, depending upon what you expect out of it. I don't know it's recommended builds though... Even the Adder/Kitfox (not sure which you got) can be fairly good. Just treat them as support mechs or very squishy medium mechs, and they should perform well. (Do not use an Adder/Kitfox as a typical light. If you do, it will hate you and probably perform poorly.)

Can't really do much else without knowing more of what you are basically asking and looking for... I will warn, if you are looking to do Faction Play (FP), you are currently aligned with an IS faction, and thus can't use any Clan mechs in FP. If you choose to play this game mode, you are going to need IS mechs instead.

#5 MordFustang

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful!

Haven't decided on wich faction to play yet, as my current choice is just a relic of the past.

I'll look further into it, but it looks like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on what has happened besides 'mechs.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostMordFustang, on 05 February 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Thank you, that is very helpful!

Haven't decided on wich faction to play yet, as my current choice is just a relic of the past.

I'll look further into it, but it looks like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on what has happened besides 'mechs.

If you have any questions, just post away. There is also the Short Question, Short Answer thread for questions as well, and a whole bunch of people there willing to help. (Please though, don't ask for build advise. It never is a short answer...)

I will inform you, if you wish to break your contract, there will be penalties for doing so now. You appear to be a loyalist, and they altered how the faction contract system works now. However, this only applies to FP if you are interested in that game mode. If you play mostly/strictly Quick Play (QP), than it will have no affect on you at all.

#7 MordFustang

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 February 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

If you have any questions, just post away. There is also the Short Question, Short Answer thread for questions as well, and a whole bunch of people there willing to help. (Please though, don't ask for build advise. It never is a short answer...)

I will inform you, if you wish to break your contract, there will be penalties for doing so now. You appear to be a loyalist, and they altered how the faction contract system works now. However, this only applies to FP if you are interested in that game mode. If you play mostly/strictly Quick Play (QP), than it will have no affect on you at all.

What sort of penalties are we talking?
I never entered FP in the first place so I have no idea what to expect.
I don't remember signing on for any contracts regarding this as well, but maybe that's automated as long as I selected FRR as my faction in the old days?

Don't worry, help with builds can be found in abundance so I won't be spamming those kind of questions =)

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

View PostMordFustang, on 05 February 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

What sort of penalties are we talking?
I never entered FP in the first place so I have no idea what to expect.
I don't remember signing on for any contracts regarding this as well, but maybe that's automated as long as I selected FRR as my faction in the old days?

There is a wait penalty after you break a loyalist contract, where you will still be part of your faction, but will not earn loyalty points for that faction (last I knew). I believe there may also be a C-bill cost as well, but I am not certain.

It probably is a remnant from the older days. Due to the age of the contract, you may not actually be assigned to that faction, and may need to even reconfirm (or decline) said "contract" once you rejoin FP in game (the FP tab). I am not certain here, but I believe you would have to repledge if it's been as long as you say it has been.

If you don't intend to play FP, than it really would be irrelevant to you anyway. It doesn't matter what faction you end up being if you never participate in FP. In QP matches, you can use any mech type without restrictions. AKA: You can be pledged to IS and use Clan mechs in QP without any issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users