2 replies to this topic

#1 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:02 AM

Unless I'm thinking about this in the wrong way, using different values for clan weapon skill nodes vs. IS weapon skill nodes is a bad approach to adjusting the relative power of clan/IS tech.

Either

A clan mech starts with an advantage over the equivalent IS mech when unskilled, which is then reduced/eliminated as weapon nodes on the skilltree are unlocked

OR

The equivalent clan and IS mechs are roughly on a par when the mechs are unskilled, but as weapon nodes are unlocked the IS mech gradually grows comparatively more powerful.

By having IS and clan weapon nodes increase capability by different values in this way, the IS mech will always benefit more from weapon skill unlocks, and conversely, be hindered more when unskilled.

Would it not be better to have clan and IS weapon skills boost performance by the same amount, and then adjust baseline performance by another mechanism (whatever that mechanism might be) that isn't dependent on the amount of time/money the player has available to skill up a chassis?

Edited by Ano, 09 February 2017 - 04:03 AM.

#2 testhero

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrloff, Dutchy of Orloff

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

If this was based on a something PGI dreamed up that approach would work!
But as it is based on the game Battletech that has rules with real values this will not work

Let me arrange your suppositions correctly.

A clan mech starts with an (weapons) advantage over the equivalent IS mech when unskilled.

but as weapon nodes are unlocked the IS mech gradually grows comparatively less disadvantaged.

Edited by testhero, 17 March 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#3 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

I think we're past the point where this is relevant, but nonetheless:

The balance model for Clan vs IS in MWO is supposed to be "equal but different". They operate differently, or have different strengths vs each other, but overall they're supposed to balance. If your thinking is still based on the boardgame approach of "clans are superior tech, move far enough through the eras and eventually new IS tech somewhat evens it out" then it's not going to make sense in the context of MWO. There's not even any point in discussing whether it should -- it isn't, and won't be.

On that basis, I would continue to argue that any skill system which adjusts relative power between the two factions as skill nodes are unlocked is broken by design.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users