Balance

6 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:03 AM

To me this is the most important topic. Make or break for MWO.

Made a poll, does faction balance get better or worse?

https://mwomercs.com...action-balance/

From just looking at the numbers it looks completely, utterly broken. Did I miss anything, or does PGI think that clans getting only 4% bonus when IS gets 5% bonus makes IS 20% more powerful? Posted Image

#2 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:22 AM

I looked at the black knight vs tbr example. BK is all round tougher and harder to kill+inherently shorter weapon damage delivery times=more favourable trades vs contact windows. Being able to "put more equipment" means nothing when that equipment spreads it's damage inefficiently where you enemy doesn't.
that example just reinforces an opinion I already had-in skilled hands Is is going to be superior.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

Need to play some matches. At first blush, though, I think IS run too hot overall. Locust with six MedLas is hotter than the sun, which is a liad if horse forvwhat is still a brawl-range weapon.

Giving Clans and IS the same durability seems like a mistake, too.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 09 February 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Need to play some matches. At first blush, though, I think IS run too hot overall. Locust with six MedLas is hotter than the sun, which is a liad if horse forvwhat is still a brawl-range weapon.

Giving Clans and IS the same durability seems like a mistake, too.

Well most IS mechs have all their durability quirks, so not necessarily.

I do agree, all mechs feel hotter. Its because heat cap went from 20% - 15% max and heat dissipation when from 15%-10% max (i think), and the 4% on the weapon trees just doesn't cut it, so laser boats will feel this especially.

I think the real issue is how the Clans can get 20% ER PPC velocity and 15% jam chance. I think both of those are too high. Should be 10% max and 10% max IMO.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 February 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well most IS mechs have all their durability quirks, so not necessarily.

I do agree, all mechs feel hotter. Its because heat cap went from 20% - 15% max and heat dissipation when from 15%-10% max (i think), and the 4% on the weapon trees just doesn't cut it, so laser boats will feel this especially.

I think the real issue is how the Clans can get 20% ER PPC velocity and 15% jam chance. I think both of those are too high. Should be 10% max and 10% max IMO.

Those are definitely issues, but the durability buff does nothing except raise TTK for everybody and is a missed opportunity to close the Clan/IS gap.

I don't mind the extra heat overall, I just think that the MedLas and MedPulse are disproportionately toasty compared to the SRMs, AC/20s, and Clan Smalls they will be directly fighting against. This tree is pretty obviously being designed with an eye toward new toys this summer (which somewhat explains the relative sameness between Clan and IS trees), but that isERML is going to be way too hot to be useful if they don't drop the standard ML and put the ER where the standard currently sits.

#6 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

From what I can gather, the Night Gyr meta build that is already one of the absolute best mechs out there, with 2x cGauss + 1x cERPPC will be little affected by reduced heat cap (as compared to dual cERPPC variations) and will have received no penalty that everyone else didn't get. At all. So... Night Gyr meta poptart PPFLD gets a bigger boost than any other mech in the game?

For these tables to do the job, it sounds to me like the difference needs to be in the order of 200-400% to give a meaningful boost comparable to the quirks we still have on the live server.

For example:

Clans 0.8 x 5 = 4%
IS currently: 1.0 x 5 = 5% (woh, 1% more!)

IS: 3.0 x 5 = 15%, that's a quirk. Not the biggest one, but one that would make a noticable difference in performance. 11% units, like a module give or take. But, instead of 300% we get 20%.

Edited by Duke Nedo, 09 February 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

its a no brainier that clans will benefit from a percentile buff when there values both negative and positive are larger -.75 heat on weapons when their weapons produce more heat means they get a bigger reduction, they might be hotter still but it makes there strengths like tonnage space and damage output better add the fact you can afford to fit more heat sinks in on average to IS mechs and you are getting much better returns from operation heat buffs. same apples to the beam time and missile spreads mean clans can do more pin point damage then you would otherwise expect.

I thought the balance was probably the best it had been before the trees i even felt bad for several clan mechs.

Edited by Frost Lord, 03 June 2017 - 10:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users