31 replies to this topic

#1 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Currently I have work so I couldn't install the new PTS, I have a few questions about the new skill tree:

Is advanced zoom there and is it easier to get?
Did AMS overload got nerfed or buffed?
Is Seismic and Radar Derp hard to get?
How much XP and Cbills is needed to max a mech?
How easier it is to respec a mech?
Do we get heat gen skills for each weapon or just the cool run and heat containment?

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Advanced Zoom is there, and it's one of the easiest to get, with a very low investment cost.

AMS Overload requires you to fill out almost an entire tree of garbage to get to it, so I'd call that a nerf.

Yes to seismic and radar.

9,100,000 C-Bills, 130,000 some-odd XP.

Relatively easy to respec, but extremely expensive.

Heat gen skills for specific weapons in their own trees in addition to the normal Cool Run and Heat Containment, but they're not really that large.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostNighthawK1337, on 09 February 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Currently I have work so I couldn't install the new PTS, I have a few questions about the new skill tree:

Is advanced zoom there and is it easier to get?

Yes, and kinda.

Did AMS overload got nerfed or buffed?

It's in between. Apparently I can't get AMS overlord if I get the alternative option. Gee. Much variety.

I think it's only locked if you don't have it equipped though.

Is Seismic and Radar Derp hard to get?

Yes, somewhat, but it's worth it. Both have been broken up in pieces, so you will have to spend a bit to collect the pieces.

How much XP and Cbills is needed to max a mech?

Too much IMO. I'm sure someone can give you exact numbers.

How easier it is to respec a mech?

"Easy" only if you spend the C-bills.

Do we get heat gen skills for each weapon or just the cool run and heat containment?

They are still there, but as said before... broken up. The weapon specific ones have their own trees for the most part.

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Now that we're asking questions, hows about speed tweak?

Is it easy to get? If i get it, does this mean that a whole lot of other quirks are impossible to get?

If i try to retrieve the necessary general skills before, like Speed Tweak, Weapon Fire -- basically some of the old skill tree stuff would it leave so little for other optimization?

Does it do away most of the quirks? Like if the Urbie R60 has +10 RA/LA Armor, +14 RL/LL/RT/LT and +20 CT before, does that mean that i have to get it again?

Is there weapon-specific skills (i.e. LRM5 CD/Range)? If so do they cost less or more?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 09 February 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 February 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Is it easy to get? If i get it, does this mean that a whole lot of other quirks are impossible to get?

If i try to retrieve the necessary general skills before, like Speed Tweak, Weapon Fire -- basically some of the old skill tree stuff would it leave so little for other optimization?

Does it do away most of the quirks? Like if the Urbie R60 has +10 RA/LA Armor, +14 RL/LL/RT/LT and +20 CT before, does that mean that i have to get it again?

Is there weapon-specific skills (i.e. LRM5 CD/Range)? If so do they cost less or more?

To get speed tweak, you have to completely fill out the entire lower chassis mobility tree.

I haven't been able to catch up with the quirk situation, since it's a pain in the rear to figure out quirks without checking the PDF files they've given us.

And there aren't any weapon specific squirks. Only the weapon type.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 09 February 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

To get speed tweak, you have to completely fill out the entire lower chassis mobility tree.

I haven't been able to catch up with the quirk situation, since it's a pain in the rear to figure out quirks without checking the PDF files they've given us.

And there aren't any weapon specific squirks. Only the weapon type.

Oh ****.

That means that i have to use up a lot of points, just to retain much of the speed of my Urbies, King Crabs, etc. don't I?

#7 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 February 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Oh ****.

That means that i have to use up a lot of points, just to retain much of the speed of my Urbies, King Crabs, etc. don't I?

Ayep. Some kind fellow who was arguing against me about something added it up, you need around 3.8m C-Bills, aka 38 nodes used up, just to get back all of the old mastered squirks from the live system.

#8 Baba_Yaga

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

The new system is junk!To get what you used to be able to get with modules,you now have to get skill node's you don't want to get to the full level's your used to having! Way to go PGI nice suck job!

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

You can view all the Tree Branches in the PTS Announcement thread. PGI posted images of the trees

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 February 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Speed tweak really is deep in the trees. It's a commitment to collect that stuff.

It depends on the value of the quirk. If it's too useful (Seismic), it'll require effort... If it's garbage (like Speed Retention), it's occasionally "in your way" of actually useful stuff.

You are most likely going to make major compromises when you have multiple weapon types equipped. It's easier to strictly boat while retaining a lot of the older stuff, minus torso twist related stuff (because it's gated behind lots of crappy arm quirks - which is useless or useful depending on your mech).

Some of that is retained. Some may have changed due to our balance overlord's interference.

Nothing costs more, it's just whether getting to it is "worthwhile".

#11 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Well I do have 470k exp on my Nova, so no problem on XP but I don't have enough money from the modules to outfit all of my mechs. I think this just made it harder for newbies to get into the game. Boating is incentiviced even more but also buying a mech for each specific build.

View PostProsperity Park, on 09 February 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

You can view all the Tree Branches in the PTS Announcement thread. PGI posted images of the trees

Oh, thanks. That probably should've been my first move.

I checked it, AMS Overload is in the defensive tree so at least it's not all useless. I'll just get the structure and armor bonus and I won't get the fall damage reduction. But it got nerfed from 3.5 to 2.5 T_T. Nova still have the RoF quirks though.

My Kitfox is gonna get buffed though, yay. I will probably get all the Sensor, Auxilliary, Defensive, and Lower Torso skills. I plan to forgo all the upper torso skills for now.

Edited by NighthawK1337, 09 February 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#12 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostNighthawK1337, on 09 February 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

Well I do have 470k exp on my Nova, so no problem on XP

On that specific Nova variant, or your Nova chassis in total? Because HXP only transfers on a variant-by-variant basis.

#13 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

I have only played "sucky" mechs with new skill tree, but all of them felt better than on live server. Haven't dared to go out with timber wolf or night gyr yet. Most of the changes feel positive, but there's some snags like the increased grind and unnecessary power creep for strongest mechs.

I think that big part of game just playing better has to do with that maps on this game work better with less players and matches on PTS are 4vs4. We really would be better off with 8vs8.

#14 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 09 February 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

On that specific Nova variant, or your Nova chassis in total? Because HXP only transfers on a variant-by-variant basis.

I only play with the S variant for the AMS boating.

My problem would be that I only have enough XP for 3 mechs to get maxed out, and just 1 with cbills, it'll be harder when this moves to the live server to max out my other mechs.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Oh ****.

Yes, but the lower chassis tree is pretty useful so it's not really a loss. Every mech and build needs more acceleration, deceleration, and turning speed, which you get in the process of filling out the whole lower chassis tree.

#16 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Heat Containment Max is 15% now instead of 20%, cool run max is 10% instead of 15%. Weapon heat gen is i believe 4 or 5% max, can't remember. But... mechs feel a tad bit hotter across the board.

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Oh ****.

This is the thing though, there will never be a time you don't want to spend the 20 points on that tree, because it gives you:

+7.5% Speed
+50% Acceleration
+50% Deceleration
+30% Turn Rate

The 'Lower Chassis' tree is mandatory, whether you want the full speed tweak or not.

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Oh ****.

It's not bad everything by it most people want anyway. One nice thing you can slowly added these nodes. This will help a lot for people grinding.

#19 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 09 February 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

This is the thing though, there will never be a time you don't want to spend the 20 points on that tree, because it gives you:

+7.5% Speed
+50% Acceleration
+50% Deceleration
+30% Turn Rate

The 'Lower Chassis' tree is mandatory, whether you want the full speed tweak or not.

Yep, I agree. I plan to get all the skills there for all my mechs.
And probably the advanced zoom.

#20 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

I hate to just say this, but I'm still sitting here fuming about the fact that I'll be able to master maybe 2 mechs when this drops if they don't change the costs. I can't get over that fact. Out of my 50+ mechs, only 2 of them. ****.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users