8 replies to this topic

#1 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

We've had some good luck and bad luck with conquest in the past, and it seems like QP 2.0 gets stuck in Conquest from time to time. I'm asking this after losing the last 6 or 8 conquest drops with my unit and others. I'm starting to really dislike conquest.. but that is not the point. I want to figure out why it is not working and change something on our side.

I tend to want to bring fast builds (100+) but when IS are bringing griffins, the 1v1 battles are tough, I can often win the first one, but not two. Maybe my/our strategy is all wrong.

I'll break it down to two questions:

1. What are you using in your dropdeck?

2. What strategy or tactics have been working?

Thanks for sharing.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

Have you considered the Gargoyle as your response to the Griffin? Yes, you are a bit slower, but you are also that much bigger.

~Leone.

#3 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Linebackers. 105kph, tanky as balls. Splat builds, small pulse builds, brawl them to death. You can fit 3 with a viper or shadow car and be fast enough to cap while still brawling.

#4 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

My gargoyle is as fast as a TBR or MDD, and I think tanks about as well, with higher DPS. I like the all gargoyle small laser rush, but I haven't found a great use for them past that.

I like my linebackers....really need the Omnipods off the C and D Variants tho to get the dps up to comp levels.

Thanks for the input. What about tactics?

#5 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Grab the 2 points nearest your dripzone, ball up and take theta. Then you keep pressure on the enemy so they can't retake theta. 3 points wins. With linebackers your fast enough to back cap if they get behind you. And definitely grab the d pods. 6 srm 4s is the most fun you can have. :)

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:31 AM

1. Learn to trade

2. Learn to "kite"

3. Learn to aim torso or a leg

4. Learn to run EBJ 68pt Alpha

5. Combine 1 - 4 - win. Most of the IS SRM brawl push teams cannot focus/brawl properly. You can kill 3-4 mechs before they close to 297M.

GG.

#7 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Could run 2 kinebackers 2 stormcrows for a 100+ kph deck (or did scr drop below 100 with the tweak nerf?).

I run as a 12 man, you always have a fairly mobile deathball...

#8 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I definitely know how to trade, run big alphas, and focus my aim. Not to brag, but I'm in the top 20 CSJ pilots per rating... I'm bringing really fast stuff, though.. cheetahs and vipers and trying to cap, not brawl. Maybe I should bring a trading deck? Is that speed enough to actually cap well?

Explain kiting please?

#9 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 11 February 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

I definitely know how to trade, run big alphas, and focus my aim. Not to brag, but I'm in the top 20 CSJ pilots per rating... I'm bringing really fast stuff, though.. cheetahs and vipers and trying to cap, not brawl. Maybe I should bring a trading deck? Is that speed enough to actually cap well?

Explain kiting please?

"Kiting" comes from MOBAs, where a ranged fragile hero attacks a tanky melee hero but constantly stays one or two steps ahead so the melee hero can never attack them. Usually the ranged hero's attack also has an effect that slows the melee hero, making it harder for them to catch up. Hence the melee hero is following the ranged hero in much the same way that a kite follows a running child, thus "kiting."

I think the translation to MWO is that clans poke at range and constantly retreat to keep the shorter-ranged, tankier and brawlier IS mechs from getting into their optimal range.

I've not figured out how to do that effectively in Conquest myself, particularly when swarms of Cicadas come through and cap. Hard for me to hit those with PPCs at more than 400m.

Also by nature "kiting" is not effective for Conquest because it involves giving ground against an advancing enemy in order to destroy them. I can't imagine it is useful to kill all enemy 'mechs if you are being pushed back into a single cap point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users