• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

Maybe not this patch, but soon?

There are members of my unit who cannot pilot their inner sphere mechs because of the color used. The current "color blind mode" is a joke, a very insulting joke. They still can't see the reticle, and it only activates on hit. You can't hit things if you can't see the damn reticle. You see the problem?

Allowing for either a change color option or color switch would be nice (clan colors seem to be fine). Not wanting to change the layout or anything, just the colors.

Please be considerate.

#2 clanwolf3050

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

This has been brought up every now and then for years. I personally am not color blind, but I can understand why it would be really painful not to be able to see your cross hairs.

This isn't just this game it is many, I hope PGI does do something about this soon.

#3 Zog

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

I don't post often, but when I do, it's usually for my pals. Wolf Clearwater is one of my bestest pals. He has good feedback on WHAT you might be able to do to enhance the reticle for the colorblind. He'll post here soon. It'd be very nice if the-powers-that-be could cogitate upon what he has to offer.

Many thanks.

Edited by Zog, 10 February 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Afr0Thund3r

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

Well, in it's current state it just makes the hit marker more pronounced. Don't understand how that's a colorblind option lol

#5 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

If you are using windowed mode or fake windowed mode then technically you could load an OSD script that would look like targeting rectangle and would sit in middle of your screen. I know there are AutoIT and Autohotkey scripts that can do it.

In fact if somebody did it successfully I would gladly read about results.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 11 February 2017 - 12:58 AM.

#6 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Just even to be able to pick Clan or IS colors would be amazing. It should be stupidly simple to code. Or better yet, give us 5 default colors to pick from (how about red, blue (Clan), green, whatever the IS color is, and white). As is, I HAVE A DAMN MAGIC MARKER DOT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY MONITOR TO BE ABLE TO HIT WITH MY IS MECHS Posted Image . Yeah, I had to use a Sharpie on my monitor. I have been doing this since Open Beta. Seriously, fix it. This shouldn't be a problem. PGI, you even asked the color blind community what we need......then ignored it.Posted Image

You want to know what it is like to play color blind?
Shift + F11. Have fun. Posted Image

#7 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 11 February 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

If you are using windowed mode or fake windowed mode then technically you could load an OSD script that would look like targeting rectangle and would sit in middle of your screen. I know there are AutoIT and Autohotkey scripts that can do it.

In fact if somebody did it successfully I would gladly read about results.

Even though this may be a work around, people should not have to use third party software or intervention to make the game playable. It is a huge disadvantage to the players that would want to use certain mechs. Especially when said players have spent real money on the game. We're not asking for special treatment of paid players, but fair treatment of players with a disability.

#8 Zog

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Galvatron, I do appreciate the insight. I'd be very willing to read about a third party product, as well. But would that work with the arm reticle, when they are off center, too?

#9 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

Almost sure it won't unless programmed this way. And while I do believe it's possible to do it this way, it's very unlikely that somebody would care that much. All you get is some display on top of your screen, like when you would draw a dot on your screen.

#10 Falconer Cyrus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Look at Section 508, PGI.

#11 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

First, I know no one has spoke on this in a week or so.

Second, this is a real problem PGI. It may only be a small fraction of the population, but it feels like a slight to those with hindered color distinction.

I would like to hear PGI's position on this request.

#12 clanwolf3050

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, this happens all the time, We bring up colorblind, some people talk about it, and then nothing. It is kind sad really. I'm understanding in the fact that they can't help everyone, but HUD colors seems like an easy fix.

#13 Xaims Andrews

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

It's not really that small amount of the population when you consider that 1 in 12 men are color blind in some way. The most common is Red/Green (Deutan) Color blindness. That makes the IS HUD almost impossible to see. My son is mild protan color blind and thus the IS HUD just blends in with the background. He prefers to play only Clan mechs so that he has half a chance at targeting. It should not be that hard to fix this issue since they have already proven they can do different colors with the Clan HUD.

If only there was an driver that would run between the video card and the display to replace the colors to more color blind friendly colors like this iOS app from Microsoft Garage: Color Binoculars

Help 1 in 12 players out PGI. Let them select a HUD color! It really can't be more than a few hours programming considering that you have the code to do different colors for CLAN and IS mechs.

#14 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Still looking for PGI to comment. Posted Image

#15 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

http://www.colourbli...s.org/business/

Something to consider.

#16 Airmikee

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostFalconer Cyrus, on 14 February 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Look at Section 508, PGI.

How does a section of law that pertains solely to the Federal Government apply to a private company?

https://www.section5...ws-and-policies

#17 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Any chance on that color toggle, or choosing a custom color...? I'd prefer pink, just saying.

#18 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

How can we convince you (PGI) that this is a problem?

#19 Toaster Repair Pony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Another patch, no color blind assistance.

#20 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:06 AM

basically asking for this will not do that much to help it be added. It will only be added if PGI feels that the time and resources put into adding it will be offset by the revenue brought in by those effected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users