Low Fps With Above Spec Equipment

8 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix410

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Any takers... All thoughts are welcomed. Except for trolls...They can enjoy the shade under their bridges, LOL.

I have a relative new rig at which seems to be suffering terrible frame rates during drops and loading screen delays. Specific loading screens include after logging in and waiting on the dev update/advertisement menu. Another is after the choice of map and game type have been choosen, but when you are waiting prior to the drop deck players list. Finally, coming back into mech lab after the end of a game. I can sit and wait for about 30 sec. - 1.5 mins at worst. During which everyone in my group is already readied up for the next match. (On a relatable note) I noticed that when the mouse cursor is visible, the mouse cursor glides across the screen flawlessly with no chop, but the image and loading symbol may be at a stand still in the background. I only experience delays within MWO and all my other games seem good to go with high frame rates.

Regarding the taxing of my rig I noticed my CPU is at a Max of 10% utilization and the Ram never goes higher then 8gbs out of 32gbs usage for the game, Network is not maxed out, but ping cam be between 60-120. I have Charter Internet with 60 Download and 12 Upload on Average.

I can say I can live with the delay of the loading screen, but it seems terrible that I meet and exceed the minimum specs and still suffering 10-30 fps on average during fire fights in normal game drops. CW isn't even really an option unless I want to be a free target. To get even close to 40fpsconsistently I have to set settings to a variation of Low & High.

I have listed my specs below. FYI, I also just did a clean install with no successful bonus in perfromance. I have friends on much lower build types that I know are running steady 100 FPS on All High or Ultra High Settings. I have tried project Lasso in an attempt to see if any process were holding me back, but to no avail.

Build Specs Below:

MONITOR - AOC Q2963PM 29-inch IPS (21:9) LED-Lit Monitor, 2560 x 1080 Resolution, 5ms, 50M:1 DCR, VGA / DVI / HDMI (MHL) / Display Port, Speakers, VESA

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 Haswell-EP 3.5GHz 6 x 256 KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 140W Server Processor BX80644E51650V3

CPU COOLER - SILVERSTONE TD03-LITE Durable High-Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler with Dual Adjustable 120mm PWM Fans

GRAPHICS CARD - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GV-N1060IXOC-3GD Video Card

MOTHER BOARD - ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional/3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-32GRBB

HDD 1(PRIMARY) - SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW

HDD 2 - Kingston SSDNow M.2 2280 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SM2280S3/120G

HDD 3 - WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

DISC DRIVE (1-6) - LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Drive Model UH12NS30

POWER SUPPLY - KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

That is unfortunately something most of us experience. It isn't your system, it's the game.

#3 MrHail

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

So I just thought it's my PC and wanted to get an upgrade but you just convinced me it's just a badly optimized game.
In my opinion it's the Cry engine they use. That engine is old and very hard to optimize.

They said they will switch to Unreal but didn't give us an ETA. So that might never happen since it would take a LOT of work to switch and they would have to do the change and still get paid for new mechs, packs etc. The engine switch would cut their pay by a lot.

And I don't blame them here. They are a small company and they need to make a living.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

What power settings are being used, system and Nvidia?
And playing in full screen or windowed mode?

#5 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

be sure you're running dx11 not 9.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

So, in a daze, I was pretty terse and unspecific yesterday.

As far as the loading times, that's the game and not your system. Lots of people experience that all the time. I think there are still several optimizations PGI needs to do on the back-end to help that.

Specifically on FPS, though, that's probably on the CPU. You have a decent system so you probably thought "hey, why not just turn everything to very high" and that is not what you should do at all. 3.5GhZ on Haswell is not enough to crank particles, shadows, and environment beyond high. Might even want to try particles on medium instead.

You do definitely also want to check the power settings in Windows and within the Nvidia control panel to make sure MWO.exe is set to high performance. There's also a multi-threading option in there that should be turned on. Different types of AA should not be forced, as it doesn't seem to work properly and does seem to conflict with MWO's setting thus causing further issues.

You may also wish to run the MWO repair tool just in case there's something corrupted. It seems to happen an awful lot more than it should.

There are honestly several more things to check, but since this is the same song and dance for most performance threads, after reading this just go up a level back to the hardware subforum and scroll down a bit.

#7 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

View PostPhoenix410, on 12 February 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Any takers... All thoughts are welcomed. Except for trolls...They can enjoy the shade under their bridges, LOL.

I have a relative new rig at which seems to be suffering terrible frame rates during drops and loading screen delays. Specific loading screens include after logging in and waiting on the dev update/advertisement menu. Another is after the choice of map and game type have been choosen, but when you are waiting prior to the drop deck players list. Finally, coming back into mech lab after the end of a game. I can sit and wait for about 30 sec. - 1.5 mins at worst. During which everyone in my group is already readied up for the next match. (On a relatable note) I noticed that when the mouse cursor is visible, the mouse cursor glides across the screen flawlessly with no chop, but the image and loading symbol may be at a stand still in the background. I only experience delays within MWO and all my other games seem good to go with high frame rates.

Regarding the taxing of my rig I noticed my CPU is at a Max of 10% utilization and the Ram never goes higher then 8gbs out of 32gbs usage for the game, Network is not maxed out, but ping cam be between 60-120. I have Charter Internet with 60 Download and 12 Upload on Average.

I can say I can live with the delay of the loading screen, but it seems terrible that I meet and exceed the minimum specs and still suffering 10-30 fps on average during fire fights in normal game drops. CW isn't even really an option unless I want to be a free target. To get even close to 40fpsconsistently I have to set settings to a variation of Low & High.

I have listed my specs below. FYI, I also just did a clean install with no successful bonus in perfromance. I have friends on much lower build types that I know are running steady 100 FPS on All High or Ultra High Settings. I have tried project Lasso in an attempt to see if any process were holding me back, but to no avail.

Build Specs Below:

MONITOR - AOC Q2963PM 29-inch IPS (21:9) LED-Lit Monitor, 2560 x 1080 Resolution, 5ms, 50M:1 DCR, VGA / DVI / HDMI (MHL) / Display Port, Speakers, VESA

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 Haswell-EP 3.5GHz 6 x 256 KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 140W Server Processor BX80644E51650V3

CPU COOLER - SILVERSTONE TD03-LITE Durable High-Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler with Dual Adjustable 120mm PWM Fans

GRAPHICS CARD - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GV-N1060IXOC-3GD Video Card

MOTHER BOARD - ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional/3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-32GRBB

HDD 1(PRIMARY) - SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW

HDD 2 - Kingston SSDNow M.2 2280 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SM2280S3/120G

HDD 3 - WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

DISC DRIVE (1-6) - LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Drive Model UH12NS30

POWER SUPPLY - KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

you do have a decent system there.

quite similar to @xWiredx system

like what other have mentioned

make sure you are on DX11 API and using the 64bit client

where you using task manager to check the CPU loads?

try downloading MSI Afterburner which is a free app to allow you to check your CPU cores loads and GPU loads using their overlay. It can help check CPU and GPU temps to see if anything might be overheating like the CPU as tend to overheat due to improper mounting.

Although not usually suggested but forcing your system to go high performance in CPU and GPU might be the way to reduce power throttling.

MSI Afterburner is also an OC program to crank up your GPU and GDDR5 clock speeds. But suggest just touching the power and temperature targets to their max first.

Download Unigine Heaven and stress your system and watch the average fps at your current resolution.

also make sure your RAM speed is the correct settings. As you are using a Xeon CPU

XMP profiles cannot be used with the 3000MHz RAMs as the CPU will freak out even with a FSB of 101MHz

keep the FBS to 100MHz and manually adjust the RAM speed to the correct speeds.

There should be a feature on your mobo to force the Xeon to stay at 3.8GHz Max Turbo speeds.

The only two question i would like to ask is the CPU choice and that PSU thou.

the i7 5930K would have been the similar priced CPU and made to be OC up to 4.4 - 4.6GHz. which will still be plenty for heavy workloads on top of the gaming aspect.

correct me if i am wrong but i really never heard of that PSU

http://www.jonnyguru...Story5&reid=155

Jonnyguru rates it at 8/10 which may be good but prob overkill for your setup and sticking to a reputable brand like CoolerMaster, EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic to name a few good units with 600-750 Watts Gold Rating and above will make more sense over 1K watts Bronze units.

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:40 AM

3 others already mentioned the windows power plan to high performance and the same thing in nvidia control panel (called "perfer max performance"). Worth a shot.

#9 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

CPU settings on windows. You have CPU for servers.
Need to do some changes for games. Depends what win you have.
You find the answers on uncle google.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users