Skill Tree Feedback

No replies to this topic

#1 T3N5POT

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

As is, the skills tree is an amazing idea and concept. I love the 91 points and how you guys are choosing to unlock each node (xp and cbills).

However, what I dislike is that the skill trees are heavily randomized in the placement of bonuses. Take the weapon trees for example, there is zero variability in how you unlock the tree in terms of what types of bonuses you get. It is effectively "Do you want 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100% capacity for all bonuses?" There's no "I want 100% of the cool down bonuses, and minimal of the rest."

A more appropriate skill tree would be one with cool down in a line straight down, range in a line straight down, and heat gain in a line straight down with some of the alternative unique choices like say magazine capacity in between the lines and requiring unlocks from both sides to obtain.

IE:
o_o_o_o__o
..........\o.......\
o_o_o/_o_o_\o
..........\o......../
o_o_o/_o_o/

As of right now, if there is anything your mech needs, like say ECM or radar dep, you have to unlock the entire tree completely. The existing system is "choose 2 modules wisely that have the most benefit on your playstyle." The skill tree is "Do you want no modules, or do you want the benefits of all of them?"

While I appreciate the attempt at trying to mimic the "fill out the whole tree for the big benefit approach" that most skill trees follow, it does not work when every benefit you may want is considered a big benefit.

As for a suggestion that might approach this better than the solution I stated above for the module tree, why not have higher SP cost(5), but it provides the full module? The modules can be spread along the edges of the tree, and you can specialize in specific modules, rather than an all or nothing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users