Matchmaker Still Broken Or Population Too Low?

75 replies to this topic

#1 Llymrel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

For many weeks, its been pretty obvious new tier 5 players are being put into matches with Tier 1 and 2. There is no real wait time outs causing this. Drops occur within seconds.

The reason I say obvious are things like a bushwacker pilot not using 3MG when a firestarter is face hugging and all internals...instead uses its one ml. People trying mpl's for the first time and talking about it. Some people are clearly way outperforming others. Usually a few mechs on each side are scoring sub 75pts.

Others seeing this too? It's nice scoring more than 600-700 damage every round with any mech including lights....and this can't be a good experience for many.

I'm hoping Matchmaker is bugged out and we get PGI to fix it this time. I'm hoping its not due to population drop. This isn't some complaint that Tiering isn't perfect. We all know that. This is well beyond normal tier skill variety.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

tier 5 doesnt get put into tier 1 players. I think they get tier 2 players after a very long wait.

Over all it doesn't take a tier1 player to kill tier 5 pugs. I have one member in my unit who is a tier 4 because he doesn't play very often anymore. He is easily a tier 2-1 pilot.

#3 Llymrel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'm not trying to defend normal PSR quirky coding or even get into that debate. This is purely seeing brand new players dropping with vets for highly lopsided matches. Brand new isn't to claim they are bad players, but they obviously haven't used weapons, seen maps, etc.

Btw Probably, somewhere around Tier 2 the bar barely moves per match. Its really an accumulation timer for in game time. Getting to Tier 1 just means you played so much you should be pretty good by now.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

T1 and 4 mix regularly, t1 and t5 now mix fairly often

I just do group drops now, better experience despite the tonnage fights

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 18 February 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I really wish I had taken screenshots more often to PROVE it, but you're wrong about them not mixing T1 and T5.

Just because someone says they're in tier 1 or 5 doesnt make it true. If you really have or can get proof if this send it to pgi because Russ has said many times tier 1 players will never fight with tier 5. If this is the case its a bug and should be fixed.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 18 February 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#6 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

I haven't played in four months. So that's -1 player, there. :)

#7 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostLlymrel, on 18 February 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

For many weeks, its been pretty obvious new tier 5 players are being put into matches with Tier 1 and 2.

I haven't noticed this

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 18 February 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

You also don't display your tier, so I wouldn't have any way of knowing if I saw you in game.

He's played for a long time. He's good. The math is simple.

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostLlymrel, on 18 February 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

For many weeks, its been pretty obvious new tier 5 players are being put into matches with Tier 1 and 2. There is no real wait time outs causing this. Drops occur within seconds.

"Drops occur within seconds" - Clearly, someone doesn't understand how it works.

The reason I say obvious are things like a bushwacker pilot not using 3MG when a firestarter is face hugging and all internals...instead uses its one ml. People trying mpl's for the first time and talking about it. Some people are clearly way outperforming others. Usually a few mechs on each side are scoring sub 75pts.

Others seeing this too? It's nice scoring more than 600-700 damage every round with any mech including lights....and this can't be a good experience for many.

I'm hoping Matchmaker is bugged out and we get PGI to fix it this time. I'm hoping its not due to population drop. This isn't some complaint that Tiering isn't perfect. We all know that. This is well beyond normal tier skill variety.

Not saying they're not matching full range players, but it WILL match T1-4 or T2-5, and even in the former you're going to get people who don't understand how to play the game at all, let alone players that are just bad.

The thing is, those gates spread not based on when YOU joined the match, but from when the MM started building the match. Understand the difference?

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

Made a new tier 5 account just for the heck of it. From what i can tell it is working but not so much its protecting tier 5 potatoes.

Meta was down in tier 5 , Wait time in tier 5 was maybe 1 minute but tier 1 was more like 3. Tier 5 matches are not a walk in the park haha

Screenshot was just first two matches. I didnt try to pick the most crazy 6 kdk mad2c games i see lol

Edited by Monkey Lover, 18 February 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#11 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

As a newbie I can't say whether I'm seeing people with years of experience or not - but I do see plenty of "meta" optimal, fully mastered with modules 'Mechs that can run rings around anything I can play and have extra abilities besides (seismic...).

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostSmokedJag, on 18 February 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

As a newbie I can't say whether I'm seeing people with years of experience or not - but I do see plenty of "meta" optimal, fully mastered with modules 'Mechs that can run rings around anything I can play and have extra abilities besides (seismic...).
You do need to understand that the modules have a very minimal impact on mechs. I get that it seems like it's huge, but they're really not very important.

A good build makes a much bigger difference, and piloting skill even more.

If you're losing to someone, it's EXTREMELY unlikely it's because of modules.

Now, having Basic and Elite skills DOES matter a lot. Mastery does not.

#13 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

PGI can only pi$$ on the customer base for so long until theres no one left to play.

#14 Llymrel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 February 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

You do need to understand that the modules have a very minimal impact on mechs. I get that it seems like it's huge, but they're really not very important.

A good build makes a much bigger difference, and piloting skill even more.

If you're losing to someone, it's EXTREMELY unlikely it's because of modules.

Now, having Basic and Elite skills DOES matter a lot. Mastery does not.

You need to get over yourself Wintersdark. Most of us quite well understand how matchmaker works now, and how it has worked in the past.

It's also total crap to tell a new player modules don't really matter. We all know its a pretty hefty handicap for a low xp mech to run up against a 4 or 5 module maxed mech meta build. The guy probably already gets stomped enough that you don't need to add to his grief. Now can great piloting or very poor piloting overcome the advantage....sure. All things equal, those features make it pretty tough considering the sensor, range, and cool down advantages. I know I see the difference when i grab a mech without swapping in modules.

Thanks for the Tier 5 check in Monkey Love. Must be MM problems pulling in so many new players so often. Maybe they will go back to look at them after the new skill tree.

#15 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

You need to get over yourself Wintersdark. Most of us quite well understand how matchmaker works now, and how it has worked in the past.
Clearly not, or you wouldn't have said something like "There is no real wait time outs causing this. Drops occur within seconds. "

It's also total crap to tell a new player modules don't really matter. We all know its a pretty hefty handicap for a low xp mech to run up against a 4 or 5 module maxed mech meta build. The guy probably already gets stomped enough that you don't need to add to his grief. Now can great piloting or very poor piloting overcome the advantage....sure. All things equal, those features make it pretty tough considering the sensor, range, and cool down advantages. I know I see the difference when i grab a mech without swapping in modules.

Skills matter. Modules don't.

You don't need a great skill disparity to overcome modules. Their impact is minimal.

But you're either being deliberately obtuse or just slow, here. Obviously, comparing an unskilled mech to a tuned mech with modules is very one-sided. But that has nothing to do with the modules and everything to do with the pilot skills and build quality. I was quite clear in my post that - once you have Elite pilot skills on a mech (and thus doubled basics) you're competitive enough for everything short of top level play.

Any new player can get the build quality - unless they're BRAND new, there's lots of threads about it, as well as various sites showing great builds. They may well not know yet, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Not having pilot skills is pretty awful. Speed tweak alone has a massive impact.

But what happens is new players get discouraged because they (incorrectly) believe why they are losing is because of modules, and that's completely not true. I call this out for a reason. Thinking the modules matter so much leads to players not understanding why they are losing fights, and if you don't understand why you're losing you cannot improve.

And this is important because getting your elite skills is actually pretty quick and easy, and (outside of the stupid 3 mech requirement) doesn't cost you anything. Modules take a lot longer (gxp requirement) and cost a LOT of cbills.

#16 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostProbably Not, on 18 February 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

"He's played for a long time. He's good." won't necessarily mean anything to PGI if and when I report it. I'm sure he has played for a long time and I'm sure he is good, but I need to be able to say "I can prove this person should not be in this matchup because their tier is clearly displayed on their forum profile".

I'm Tier 1 maxed out FYI, if that helps. I've never bothered displaying it, as people who know me, know me, and those that don't, well, they don't. :)

#17 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostLlymrel, on 18 February 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Maybe they will go back to look at them after the new skill tree.
No, no they won't.

#18 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 February 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Skills matter. Modules don't.

Are you targeting Weapon modules specifically? Because Seism and RDerp are kind of a huge deal. If you play solo, those two can be the difference between being wiped and redirect your team for a win.

#19 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well, last I looked at Steam charts the game had plumeted to 1K ish each day. Granted, not everyone uses steam, but losing half the average pop through that system is HUGE.

#20 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 February 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Just because someone says they're in tier 1 or 5 doesnt make it true. If you really have or can get proof if this send it to pgi because Russ has said many times tier 1 players will never fight with tier 5. If this is the case its a bug and should be fixed.

Please correct me if I'm misinformed but didn't Tina post a confirmation that after 4 min 30 seconds the gates are wide open?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users