Matchmaker Still Broken Or Population Too Low?

75 replies to this topic

#41 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

I think matchmaker is working as intended, however, the upward bias built into the PSR system means that there are many many players that are in upper tiers that should NOT be in upper tiers... ideally, with 5 tiers, about 10% should be in the lowest tier, 10% in the highest tier, 20% is the second lowest tier, 20% in the second highest tier and 40% in the middle tier...( 10-20-40-20-10 aka, bell curve) but PGI has it to eventually, if you play enough, the distribution will be 5-5-5-5-80...and thats the problem

#42 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Tier 4 is hell. I miss when I was tier 3 :(

#43 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 18 February 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Pretty sure it's population being low.

On a semi-related note, I'm incredibly frustrated with the PSR right now because the little XP bar is not going up at all when I supposedly get an increase in PSR. It sure as hell goes down when I get a decrease, but I actually had a decent night last night and the XP bar did not budge.

Oh but I pray the d**n thing would.
Mine just keeps going up.
I should be sitting about the top of tier 3 if it wasn't for the built in creep on the stupid thing.

#44 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

View PostLlymrel, on 18 February 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

For many weeks, its been pretty obvious new tier 5 players are being put into matches with Tier 1 and 2. There is no real wait time outs causing this. Drops occur within seconds.

Where do you see on the drop screen enemy tier?

#45 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 February 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Plenty can still go wrong...

They parachute into a guarded base and start a killing spree, I mean invert the roles there (player as Iraqi at an American base), and you might see what I mean if you didn't already. Posted Image

At least he found a weapon of mass destruction though, using those wallhacks are clearly a war crime.

Funny video, but just weird.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 06 July 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#46 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

I think matchmaker is working as intended, however, the upward bias built into the PSR system means that there are many many players that are in upper tiers that should NOT be in upper tiers... ideally, with 5 tiers, about 10% should be in the lowest tier, 10% in the highest tier, 20% is the second lowest tier, 20% in the second highest tier and 40% in the middle tier...( 10-20-40-20-10 aka, bell curve) but PGI has it to eventually, if you play enough, the distribution will be 5-5-5-5-80...and thats the problem

Yes. ME
I'm about to enter tier 1.
I should be about the top of tier 3.
But I rarely get a tier drop from a match, even when I lose.
200 dmg and lose and no drop???

#47 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 19 February 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Oh oh oh!! And because Russ says it, it's true?!

It is. It was his Position at the TimeTM. They never lie. You are on the IslandTM.

#48 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:23 AM

Why oh why, necro this topic of all topics, this thread of all threads?

#49 Rizzwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 February 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

tier 5 doesnt get put into tier 1 players. I think they get tier 2 players after a very long wait.

Over all it doesn't take a tier1 player to kill tier 5 pugs. I have one member in my unit who is a tier 4 because he doesn't play very often anymore. He is easily a tier 2-1 pilot.

That's not true. My son is T5 and I'm T1 he landed in a random match with me. Pop is just to low.

#50 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 July 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

Why oh why, necro this topic of all topics, this thread of all threads?

Coz people want to talk about an issue that still exists instead of pretending it doesn't like the fishies do?

#51 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:37 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 July 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

Coz people want to talk about an issue that still exists instead of pretending it doesn't like the fishies do?

The match maker gotta change thread from yesterday, was just not on point enough I guess for such a discussion? Whatever.

#52 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:28 AM

had one player proclaim he was new and to take it easy on him

then saw a 8 man team half ended on our side, I even took a screen shot if people doubt my word

its PGIs game they are going to do what they want

#53 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

Boys ive nearly made it to T1! I have absolutly no right being in there but im getting close now. I don't think im a pure potato player but I still derp and make bad movement calls all the time.

Really dont think the tiers are all they are cracked up to be.

#54 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:45 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 July 2017 - 03:37 AM, said:

The match maker gotta change thread from yesterday, was just not on point enough I guess for such a discussion? Whatever.

We both know that fishies only pay attention to something that raises dozens of threads, not something that actually matters ... MimimapocalypseTM, etc.

#55 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:14 AM

Population is low , every day i have games with the same people over and over again.

#56 Grayseven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 06 July 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Boys ive nearly made it to T1! I have absolutly no right being in there but im getting close now. I don't think im a pure potato player but I still derp and make bad movement calls all the time.

I'm right there with you. Some games I play flawlessly and look much higher than my T4 rank (almost 3, today is the day) others I turn and stare straight at the enemy shooting me and forget to torso twist or I over-extend because I'm not watching the minimap and end up in the middle of the opforce.

I think the Tier system is deceptive since it seems to rely too heavily on damage done and time played. Let's be honest, trying to quantify the actual skill of players would be difficult and time consuming. It could be done, but would it be worth it?

#57 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 06 July 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

They parachute into a guarded base and start a killing spree, I mean invert the roles there (player as Iraqi at an American base), and you might see what I mean if you didn't already. Posted Image

At least he found a weapon of mass destruction though, using those wallhacks are clearly a war crime.

Funny video, but just weird.

In case you aren't aware... that game was made by PGI before they were PGI.

#58 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 06 July 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Stats say you are legit. Good job. Stay humble.

View PostGrayseven, on 06 July 2017 - 05:22 AM, said:

I'm right there with you. Some games I play flawlessly and look much higher than my T4 rank (almost 3, today is the day) others I turn and stare straight at the enemy shooting me and forget to torso twist or I over-extend because I'm not watching the minimap and end up in the middle of the opforce.

I think the Tier system is deceptive since it seems to rely too heavily on damage done and time played. Let's be honest, trying to quantify the actual skill of players would be difficult and time consuming. It could be done, but would it be worth it?

Stats say you aren't quite there yet. Keep working on it and you will be legit. Good job.

#59 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

I've been mixed with tier5, I know because i got on the mic and asked.

#60 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

Nah, t4 and 5 are REALLY, REALLY bad, you're mostly seeing T3s, remember the old T4s have by now moved up to T3, and never got better, the current PSR system means only the most dire of players remain at the bottom and those who are simply "bads" inevitably rise to the top given enough matches played.

But that said the population is in fact exceedingly low and the matchmaker never worked well in the first place too.

Edited by QuantumButler, 06 July 2017 - 01:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users