More Complex Radar System

9 replies to this topic

Poll: More Complex Radar System (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer switching between active/passive radar?

1. Yes (31 votes [86.11%])

Percentage of vote: 86.11%

2. No, I prefer the current system (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

Would you prefer target sharing limited to equipment?

1. Yes (21 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. No, I prefer the current system (15 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Would you prefer splitting ECM into Guardian and Angel variants?

1. Yes (29 votes [80.56%])

Percentage of vote: 80.56%

2. No, I prefer the current version (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:44 AM

Having a more complex radar system would add more depth to info warfare, make scouting more useful and reduce the game's arena team-death match feeling.

Active/Passive modes for radar would be a good first step, but specialized equipment like actual Guardian/Angel ECM variants and C3 networks would add a nice tactical layer.

It would also add more possibilities to improve the Command Console.

http://wiki.mechlivi...php?title=Radar

Edited by Guile Votoms, 19 February 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#2 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

I never understood why radar information is not shared in the team, that C3 radar would at last make scouts viable.
Active/Passive mode sounds nice but might break some weapon systems, so handle with care.

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Active/Passive Radar:
This would depend upon what it would actually do. However, I think it would add an unnecessary level of complexity to this game that just isn't needed overall. I believe 90% of people probably would ignore this feature, or they all would turn it off if they don't have LRMs or weapons that require a lock on. Meaning, it either would/could be abused or it would be ignored.

Equipment shared target locks:
I already have a hard enough time telling people they only share locks they have, not everything they see. I also already have a hard enough time getting people to believe me when I say they don't need special equipment to share a lock... I'd rather not make this too complicated either. ECM causes enough problems, especially in the lower levels of play... I just don't believe this would be needed, or it would be a "forced sensor tax" that everyone would suddenly need to make room to take. (Such as if you needed C3 to share data. Either everyone or no one would take it.)

ECM Guardian/Angel:
Given time, I'd love for Guardian to be tuned down and Angel be included into the game. I'd also love to see Stealth armor as well eventually. ECM in general I believe needs a lot of work first. Once we get Guardian ECM more balanced, they I could understand Angel being included.
However, same issue as above. Either it would be "take Angel ECM" or "take no ECM at all". Might be hard to balance each mechanic and gear to make either one worth taking. (Similar to SHS and DHS... No one ever honestly takes SHS with the intention of them being useful at cooling a hot mech down...)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

I would be quite happy for C3 to be included as a way to share all sensor information (including none locked Mechs) but the implimation would be a bit tricky, do they put in both master and slave, and have the c3 slave units only work if a master is present, or just have a single c3 unit?
I doubt many people would bother with the c3 if it was just master/slave, and the c3 slave would have best use on scout Mechs but 1 ton is a lot for a 20 ton Mech to sacrifice, and is still significant on a 40 tonner, concidering it will help the team a lot more than the pilot, so info tech rewards need probably need to be increased to incentivise it.

as for active/passive sensors, things like seismic would be passive, and possible have passive massivly decrease (e.g. 80% reduction) sensor effectiveness and should prevent any lock shareing (because you would have to transmit lock information, passive means no transmissions) I persionaly would love that to be added, but I can see how added complexity could hurt the game population by scaring off the people who want to treat MWO as a basic shooter

as for changing Guardian to allow for Angel ECM, again I would like that sort of change, but again can see how it could hurt the game

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 February 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#5 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

It will be interesting to see what new equipment we might get with the tech jump but having some more functionality added to the radar/sensors would add a bit of depth that would enhance roles and give players and option to work that angle more.

Under quick play it is not as significant, but if Faction Play was expanded, this would really be good to see.

#6 HeyPiRon

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 70 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Active/passive radar modes... I so missed them!

#7 kapinga

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

why cant we get a radar system that is not out dated, such as what we are using now is worse than what the real military uses. We need a radar that see's 360 just like nowaday's. could you imagine if the united states military only had radar that seen forward, lol. It's totally ******** not to have a active 360 radar. But hey this is PGI, if ya know what i mean. see ya on the battle field.
kapinga

#8 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

View Postkapinga, on 14 March 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

why cant we get a radar system that is not out dated, such as what we are using now is worse than what the real military uses. We need a radar that see's 360 just like nowaday's. could you imagine if the united states military only had radar that seen forward, lol. It's totally ******** not to have a active 360 radar. But hey this is PGI, if ya know what i mean. see ya on the battle field.
kapinga

Honestly, in this game format, Radar would be useless. Radar doesn't work well on the ground a there is typically too much stuff in the way. But in would be good for detecting things in the air above (but higher than a JJ mech could leap).

Overall, a lot of things in BT are based on their specific lore. How this game is implemented follows a lot of those rules and that lore. Of course, not everything translated over, but as far as general sensors go, it's not too far off. (If you've read the books of course. If you haven't, I'd recommend to try and find some to read. Good series.)

#9 TychoBravo

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

If they arent making MWO more like MWLL they better make MW5 more like it.

#10 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

View Postkapinga, on 14 March 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

kapinga

Like to think of it as the loss of technology during the sucession wars would explain it for the IS espexcially since they lack some of othe missles we use today like fire and forget especially with streak srms all the missles should be hitting their target or something that looks like it's target. LRMs should be locking in on the reactor signatures of the enemy mechs so if it's not following a Tag or narc signal it's locked on the reactor signature for that mech type

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users