36 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

So just to Theroy craft here depending on what weapons we get this summer...what are some builds you forsee yourself testing out on old chassis that might be fun and decent. Are there any mechs that might now have a breath of life now with new weapons?

Old mechs that maybe were deemed useless cause of low quantity of hard points? Say now a Trebuchet with 2 MRM racks? Or a Catapult with the same thing? Do you see new tech making some old chassis and varriants viable now? Say even an Atlas with a Heavy GR ect?

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

MRMs on mechs with low missile counts per weight covers a LOT of mechs, too many to list. The same goes for LACs in reverse, which may save a lot of low weight mechs with a lot more ballistic points than was reasonably usable before.

Pretty much everything else is just cut and paste, though. Most of the new energy weapons wont change much (The Heavy Laser, depending on how implimented, may do something similar for low energy hard point mechs, like the MRM), and most of the non-LAC new ballistics are just ton for ton swaps.

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

I forsee many quad Rac5 Maulers and KCs. I doubt it'll be good but I could see dual Hgauss Maulers as well.

#4 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hmmmm, I foresee the MLX becoming rather unpleasant with SRMs and HSLs. Also, lagmaker Cyclops with all the MRMs.

#5 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

The issue is that a lot of the old, forgotten 'Mechs aren't going to be any better with the new guns that the new-hotness 'Mechs that are currently eclipsing them with existing tech. Trebuchets and Kintaros and the like will definitely be better with MRMs, but so will Griffins. Mist Lynxes will be more dangerous with heavy lasers, but so will Cheetahs. Some of these things may end up closer to the top than they were before, which is fantastic, but existing good 'Mechs aren't going to become Bad with new tech introduction. If anything, they're as liable to be Better as the old bad 'Mechs are.

But that's okay. In the end, who really cares? If a 'Mech is good enough, which the new tech will make much easier, then someone who really loves that 'Mech can have their killer games in it. MRM60 Trebuchets will be lulsy. RAC Dragons (real RAC Dragons, not "we quirked the AC/5 into an RAC!" Dragons), also lulsy. MRM160 Stalkers will be the lulsiest thing ever seen, to the point of possibly even being a balance concern. Heavy Large Laser "this is my BOOMSTICK!" Mist Lynxes will be hilarious. HLL Shadow Cats may honestly be a threat. ATM anything would be great fun.

And if we're lulsing in hilarious fun, isn't that the point?

#6 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hard to say til we know what we be getting but I know I be switching out alot my mechs with normal medium lasers for their er counterparts so I can lay my mechs as skirmishers.

#7 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Well, my Sad Cat is going to get a major boost with heavy lasers, that's for sure. Honestly though, I'm really hoping the Mad Dog F gets added, so I can run dual HAG/20's+4 ERMLas on a Mad Dog.

#8 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Heavy lasers gonna have some serious penalties when boated and that alone attempting to boat them should be a risky choice. For the price of powerful hit stick with brawling capabilities, the heat alone will make players think before go off alpha two or three times in a fight, but that's my view how the weapons will act.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

I guess putting a RAC/5 instead of the UAC/5 in the Wolverine 7D (yup, that piece of crap), would be an improvement?

Depends on how PGI implements them.
If they actually implement them.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 30 January 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

I forsee many quad Rac5 Maulers and KCs. I doubt it'll be good but I could see dual Hgauss Maulers as well.

Doubt we'll get quad RAC/5 King Crabs.... the RAC/5 takes 6 crits compared to the 5 of the iUAC/5.... HGR Maulers might be a thing, same for HGR Atlas I bet will be a thing... I could also see HGR Hunchback for the lulz.

#11 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

So when will we get some confirmation what kind of tech are we actually holding our breath for (for quite some time if you ask me - nothing new in here tho', was expecting that kind of turn of events).
Bcs I'd like to start thinking about builds that would include some RAC's 5 and Ilya Muromets or MRM and Atlas.

#12 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

View Postlazytopaz, on 30 January 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

So when will we get some confirmation what kind of tech are we actually holding our breath for (for quite some time if you ask me - nothing new in here tho', was expecting that kind of turn of events).
Bcs I'd like to start thinking about builds that would include some RAC's 5 and Ilya Muromets or MRM and Atlas.

Early March. As specifically laid out in the January Roadmap Thingus I can't link to right just yet.

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

I'm curious for the potential for lighter mechs to make use of light ACs and caseless ammo. The Vindicator has 3 ballistics in the arm. Just using 1 ballistic is an investment it can barely afford.

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 30 January 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm curious for the potential for lighter mechs to make use of light ACs and caseless ammo. The Vindicator has 3 ballistics in the arm. Just using 1 ballistic is an investment it can barely afford.

For the ballistic Vindicator, the weapon you're looking for is the Magshot Gauss Rifle.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 January 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

For the ballistic Vindicator, the weapon you're looking for is the Magshot Gauss Rifle.

LAC > Gauss Machine Guns.

Edited by Bombast, 30 January 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostBombast, on 30 January 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

LAC > Gauss Machine Guns.

The Magshot isn't a machine gun. It's PPFLD with a (presumably) moderate cooldown. Also much better range than MGs (but still less than LACs).

The real Gauss Machine Gun is the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle...

Also, the Vindi isn't exactly the optimal platform for boating autocannons, even light ones.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,764 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 January 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

Also, the Vindi isn't exactly the optimal platform for boating autocannons, even light ones.

May not be optimal, but it can do that better than anything else right now. It really all depends on what weapons best combine with the Heavy PPC (or if anything honestly does combine well at that tonnage). I could see either one honestly, Magshots and a Heavy PPC or 3 LACs.

That said, I'm really hoping snub-nose PPCs are decently powerful because the 1AA could use them to be effective at mid-range without having to worry about lights catching within a minimum range (or they could just remove the stupidity that is minimum range from PPCs).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 30 January 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#18 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:56 AM

I was thinking of boating quad Light Gauss on the Mauler, but then I realized that thanks to crappy 3 slot IS XL, I can't do it, and if I use LFE, then there won't be enough ammo for prolonged fight. IS tech sucks.

#19 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

View PostFupDup, on 30 January 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

The Magshot isn't a machine gun. It's PPFLD with a (presumably) moderate cooldown. Also much better range than MGs (but still less than LACs).

The real Gauss Machine Gun is the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle...

I thought AP Gauss was the machine gun Gauss rifle, and HAG was basic a gauss rifle with clan ac firing mechanics.

#20 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

Ok now we stop and imagine an MRM80 (dual 40) Archer "Tempest" coming up under ECM 200m behind you. There is no warning......just BOOOOM.
And this bad guy is even fast enough to hit and fade before you can stop wondering what hit you (if you still live).

Edited by The Basilisk, 31 January 2017 - 02:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users