I Want My Laser Meta Back And Energy Draw

118 replies to this topic

#1 CheetahsNeverWin

Rookie

• Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

I'm sorry but the PPFLD going on in this meta is out of control. Whether it's mass SRM's. Gauss PPC or straight up UAC vomit (Which is front loaded in its own way). It's all taking away from the core elements that make this game fun which are: proper positioning, consistent identification and effective damage placement on the paper doll OVER TIME.

Energy draw was a crutch for a mech heat cap that is too high but at least it would get rid of these crazy alphas. Mech maneuverability in regards to acceleration and torso twist needs to be turned down big time for heavy and assault mechs and several weapons need to be toned down to where they were -Originally-.

This game has had a gradual power creep that is ruining it. Hardpoints used to be the limiting factor in monoboating, now we need a new solution, otherwise the TTK will continue to go down and we'll all be playing COD in big stompy robots. Thank you.

#2 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Last I remember when I left last year around March '16, the meta was mainly Gauss-vomit, laser vomit with some UAC vomit here and there.

That's what you want to go back to?

#3 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

While I would agree that TTK has gotten a bit ridiculous to the point MWO is feeling more like a twitch shooter, making mechs less maneuverability is only going to make TTK shorter as it will be harder to twist off damage or avoid it.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Except laser vomit alphas are higher than PPFLD alphas, and laser vomit was less viable than PPFLD under the energy draw system.

PPFLD also revolves around gauss and balistics which run for high DPS and little heat, and the PPCs are more the high heat extra punch that you can choose not to fire when you're getting toasty.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 20 February 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostCheetahsNeverWin, on 20 February 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

proper positioning, consistent identification and effective damage placement on the paper doll OVER TIME.

How are those things less important now, in your opinion?

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Just remember that when this game launched there was dual Gauss catapults. Also you could fire 4+ PPCs with no heat penalty.

The real powerplay has always been Dual Gauss Dual PPC, and though the Meta moved around, that particular weapon combo never lost its actual power.

Energy Draw had great potential but it was implemented poorly (they applied it to so many non-electrical weapon systems), and they should not have saddled it with the sensor modifications at the same time. They should have been tested separately.

An electrical power draw mechanism would be great if implemented properly,, but too many neckbeards would scream "We Already Have Heat / Electrical Draw Isn't MechWarrior!"

#7 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Im happy where srms are at. It take a lot of work not to be killed before getting into range. These weapons should do something.
Gauss isn't to bad as they just nerfed it.

Clan ppc is the problem.

Posted Image

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

PPFLD...SRMs...WTF?

#9 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Im going to ignore the subjective statements in your post, and even the false comparisons to CoD or the idea that high frontloaded damage invalidates proper positioning (hint: high front loaded damage actually makes proper positioning that much more important), all so I can focus on the irony that you want Energy Draw AND laser vomit meta back.

FYI, Energy Draw completely murders laser mechs. Lasers are hot and have duration, to be really effective they have to do A LOT of damage over their .9 to 1.18 second durations, otherwise they aren't worth it compared to PPFLD and dakka boating, which both require much less up front firepower to be effective.

I for one, am incredibly relieved ED was shelved, so we can keep the level of balance we have now, which isn't bad save for a few outliers.

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 20 February 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

While I would agree that TTK has gotten a bit ridiculous to the point MWO is feeling more like a twitch shooter, making mechs less maneuverability is only going to make TTK shorter as it will be harder to twist off damage or avoid it.

This doesn't feel like a twitch shooter at all. Information and awareness are much more important than twitch skills in this game. TTK is a little quick if you mess up and get obliterated by 4-5 heavies and assaults, but thats no different than any MechWarrior game ever, so I think its more important to just not get into that situation.

#11 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

The problem is that there is no "soft punishment" for rising heat levels. At 100% you are in trouble but not at 99%. Which means: lolalpha-hide-lolapha-cooldown rinse and repeat. This held true for the laser vomit meta and for the current one

Edited by Bush Hopper, 20 February 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#12 CheetahsNeverWin

Rookie

• Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Srms at unquestionably front loaded and with artemis, which all of you are running in higher tiers it becomes pinpoint, that's why you take it. And I dont have a problem with srms as a weapon but you cannot argue that the TTK is low when monoboated. They are fast now and on assaults and heavys you can easily isolate points on the mech for 90% of the firepower.

On another point the only mechs that can field effective ballistics are heavys and mainly assaults. Take away their ability to easily turn and aim (not eliminate it) and ballistics will still be more effective than lasers (which are primarily fielded by lighter mechs) but very limited in the targets they can engage. However, lights will play games all day with them when brawls start and god forbid assaults now serve a purpose as a heavy weapons platform that is not just good at everything. Mechs have lost their roles and it is becoming bland. Assaults are the clear kings and the keys to a higher match score, other mechs and playsyles will emerge if you give it a chance.

#13 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 20 February 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

The issue I have with Energy Draw is that it doesn't really change terribly much, compared to the current Heat Scale system. Ghost Heat was already (as someone else once put it succinctly) an Unnecessary Math Problem, and ED was too, except arguably even more complicated. Have the MWO devs, at any time, ever considered dropping the bonus heat capacity from heatsinks/DHS thus capping heat capacity at 30 and increasing the dissipation of external DHS to true double status? I'm pretty sure that alone would solve high-alpha energy metas. High-alpha ballistic or missile metas might need a separate mechanic (recoil?), though.

I'd like recoil. It would make masssive dakka builds have something to counter. It would be something different.

I still feel like most weapons feel and sound weak. I don't feel like I'm doing much damage till I'm dead or my target is.

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

This thread... I don't even...

#15 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'd wouldn't mind reverting a few of the laser nerfs. Particularly the max range nerf on Clan lasers once IS gets the full line of ER lasers.

#16 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 20 February 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Clan ACs have a very underwhelming sound. I like the silly little "pew!" that IS Small Lasers do, though.

It's not that bad on the Ultra Violent boating 8 UAC2s. Then it just sounds like one big gun.

Even the AC-20 sounds weak at times. Missiles are like a soft fart. Most lasers don't feel like it. PPCs don't feel threatening(they should honestly sound like a damn thunder clap not an air valve being opened)

I also feel like there's a lack in feedback when you take damage that isn't heat or constant dakka fire.

#17 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

Energy Draw wasn't even that bad. People just knee jerked.

I'd be more interested to see higher dissipation and lower heat cap like we had during the last ED PTS. Less Alphawarrior Online, pls.

Edited by MechaBattler, 20 February 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#18 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 February 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

I'd be more interested to see higher dissipation and lower heat cap like we had during the last ED PTS. Less Alphawarrior Online, pls.

If you could find a way to limit FLPD AND AlphaWarriorOnline it would help MWO stand out from the boring slag fest it is now.

Or found a way to make other builds viable other than mount all the ERLL and MPLAS. Or you could even start doing away with the hard point bloat that happened to a few mechs.

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostDr Hobo, on 20 February 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

If you could find a way to limit FLPD AND AlphaWarriorOnline it would help MWO stand out from the boring slag fest it is now.

Wait, MWO doesn't stand out as different right now?

#20 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 February 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

Then you just have AC boats and PPFLD snipers dominating everything. The only thing that really effects is laser boats. Why are we so intent on only screwing over certain weapon systems?

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 February 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Wait, MWO doesn't stand out as different right now?

He just said right there, its a "boring slag fest". I guess gameplay is boring and uninteresting, he must have the entire game figured out and completely mastered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users