33 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

It seems that the current offerings at BattletechGear.com have been extended to March 1st. This was undoubtedly in an effort to get the remaining 350+ orders needed to fulfill the minimum order requirements. Sadly, I don't think it's going to work.

This is upsetting because I don't think they (Harebrained Schemes, PGI, ?) are going to continue attempting to push merchandise if nothing is hitting the pre-order benchmarks required for production. They will tell us (the community); "Look, we tried. But there's obviously not a large enough market for Battletech merchandise out there". And that will be the end of it.

However, this is wrong. I'm sure that the Battletech/Mechwarrior market is small and niche. However, I think there's definitely enough people to hit those minimum order numbers they need. Unfortunately, the price point vs merchandise appeal just isn't there with the current offerings.

Example: The Atlas Stein is cool, but who actually wants/need/buys steins these days? Perhaps neckbeards who like to boast about how much they drink, but for the average fan that's an expensive $40 holder of liquid.

Solution: How about a set of 4 Drink Glasses, each with the blueprint of a mech on it? Perhaps TWO sets; IS and Clan. This way you get 4 glasses w/ 4 different mechs on them, or 8 if you buy both sets. I think we all know that putting some blueprint-like stencil art on a clear drinking glass is probably a LOT less costly than making a custom stein w/ metallic Atlas face on it. And getting 4 glasses for $20 (or even $30) is a LOT more appealing than 1 giant stein that no one will actually ever use.

Example 2: The coasters are a nice idea, but poorly executed. They offer a set of coasters showing some sweet artwork of something 99/100 Btech fans have zero knowledge or interest in. Stable art from Solaris? No one will pay $20 for coasters of something they are not familiar with.

Solution: Again, the mechs are the stars of this franchise, so why not let them shine? Put some of Alex's awesome concept art on those coasters and I bet it would've hit that order amount within a few weeks. Instead we got nice art of something none of us recognize and have little desire to buy.

Example 3: That Atlas statue was amazing, but eye-flinching at $200. I understand that it was pre-painted and pre-assembled, but you are selling this thing to a group of tabletop gamers. Most of us are more-than-willing to paint and assemble our own models. Personally, I'd have preferred it bare at half that cost so I could paint it how I want it to look.

Solution: I know that the costs of setting up molds and tooling to produce something like a mech statue isn't cheap. However, I think having an unpainted "kit" version that sold at $80 would have been something I'd have jumped on. Maybe $80 is unrealistically low, but I don't know what the situation is with their product suppliers. One thing is for sure; $200 was too much for the vast majority of us.

They need to try it again, but this time with a less intricate model. Perhaps reduce the size a bit and make it the Mad Cat (due to its popularity) and if it helps reduce cost, have it come assembled and unpainted. Sell it as a "model kit" and require the buyer to build + paint it. The key here is to reduce costs for the user. Most of us don't mind building our own model to look the way WE want it to. And the reduced price would definitely help hit that pre-order minimum.

In summary: The problem with all the offers so far is the lack of the stars of the franchise - the mechs. We all play this game for the big stompy robots and they need to start selling us merchandise of big stompy robots. Why not start off with something simple, like a $15 poster? I nabbed a free poster at PAX Prime that was kick ***. Has a Marauder stomping and shootin' and the reverse side had a nice collection of other mechs. Why isn't something like this on the shop? It highlights some well-known and much loved mech(s) and it's something cheap (relatively speaking) and easily accessible to a new fan or a veteran.

Stop trying to sell super rare, highly exclusive Battletech oddities and start with simpler things. Ditch the leather jackets and steins aimed at the rich whales and go more towards the working-man with T-shirts, posters, drink glasses or coffee mugs.

Edited by Suko, 20 February 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

So the kids these days don't collect steins?? It was about the only think that i would even consider buying.. To go with my 30+ other steins i have collected for the last 30+ years.. I really hope this one goes through.. most likely will be the only thing i ever get. Steins are basically the only thing i would ever buy as a decoration..

But really, why the need to be so insulting?

But seriously.. considering how many "limited edition" collectible statues i see for sale these days, with prices of 100-500 dollars.. I hardly think this is a stretch.. People buy lamps, pictures, vases, sculptures.. plates, all sorts of crap to put in there house that can cost far more than the prices they are asking. I might not be one of um because i don't have the funds to buy 200 dollar statues..

that said, I think a normal T-shirt/sweatshirt/baseball hat would be great.

Edited by JC Daxion, 20 February 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 20 February 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

So the kids these days don't collect steins?? It was about the only think that i would even consider buying.. To go with my 30+ other steins i have collected for the last 30+ years.. I really hope this one goes through.. most likely will be the only thing i ever get. Steins are basically the only thing i would ever buy as a decoration..

But seriously.. considering how many "limited edition" collectible statues i see for sale these days, with prices of 100-500 dollars.. I hardly think this is a stretch.. People buy lamps, pictures, vases, sculptures.. plates, all sorts of crap to put in there house that can cost far more than the prices they are asking. I might not be one of um because i don't have the funds to buy 200 dollar statues..

Kids? No. They don't care about steins.

My Dad has a stein collection that he is currently selling off. Now that he's retired he's realized how useless they are and how much space they take up. These aren't my words, they're his.

Are statues any different? Nope. Also a waste of space, but at least these appeal to a larger audience. The difference is the statue at least resembles the thing we all like about Mechwarrior (the mechs), not just the battletech logo with an Atlas face on it. As you pointed out, there's a ton of statues and crap out there for other franchises. Not many steins though. This should be a telling indicator as to how much crossover there is between stein collectors and fans of pop-culture franchises.

Edited by Suko, 20 February 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

I'm afraid that if I let that stein(er) into my house it'll betray me, MW4/MC2 style. :)

But seriously, I like the idea of swag but have no use for the stuff offered thus far and those are some awfully high minimum order sizes. Also, Atlas is one of my less favorite mech designs and thus far that site's been the Atlas Appreciation Station. AFAIK that is entirely controlled by HBS and PGI is just helping spread the word, so they're probably the ones to talk to about it.

#5 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

Personally, I would have loved the Atlas statue, but the timing was terrible being around the holidays when money is already tight do to gift giving etc.. I really like the coasters and put in for those, but I am less interested in the stein but I am willing to put in for one if numbers are close near the end.

As to the ops suggestions... Glasses would be fine as another option, and a different set of coasters with mech art would be okay although like I said I really like the ones currently offered. However, I would not want an unpainted disassembled statue. Even at the $80 price range that wouldn't be worth it to me and I would have zero interest. The $200 price for the Atlas was actually more than reasonable for what it was, but I think the timing on that more than anything was just bad. The other items in that first batch were a mixed bag as well. Banners were a wanted item but there was no option for individual purchases only all or nothing and the Clan logos looked like crap. Hooded T-shirts look absurd to me so that was a no go as well.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

I'm bummed that it doesn't look like the Coasters are going to make it. The artwork on them is amazing! Makes me sad :(

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostSuko, on 20 February 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Kids? No. They don't care about steins.

My Dad has a stein collection that he is currently selling off. Now that he's retired he's realized how useless they are and how much space they take up. These aren't my words, they're his.

Are statues any different? Nope. Also a waste of space, but at least these appeal to a larger audience. The difference is the statue at least resembles the thing we all like about Mechwarrior (the mechs), not just the battletech logo with an Atlas face on it. As you pointed out, there's a ton of statues and crap out there for other franchises. Not many steins though. This should be a telling indicator as to how much crossover there is between stein collectors and fans of pop-culture franchises.

Umm you kinda proved my point... you realize there are entire stores that the only stuff they sell are items to place in a corner and look good right? Entire professions.. Sculpture, interior decorator, painter, artists, woodworkers, metal workers, crafters ect. Heck they even have shows on TV that are just about finding old crap to put in your house.. Pawn Stars, pickers, Antiques roadshow, and entire channels, HG Tv that are all about crap to look at in your home. Man caves for example are full of them, Only difference is they are in the basement.. typically the wife gets to put useless crap in the living room, bedroom, den, ect. People even pay to get into places "Museums" just to look at useless crap, though i find that fascinating.

Ohh wait.. yea steins are worthless.. Tell your dad he should just ship um to me and i'll dispose of the unless waste of space items or perhaps sell if he truly is interested Posted Image

as i said, i agree t-shirts/hats/sweatshirts should be part of it. But nothing wrong with higher end collectibles. Women are not the only ones that need useless items to put around their house and have no other purpose other than to admire.

As for 200 bucks for the atlas.. I almost spent about 250 on a metal dragon years ago, i think about it from time to time and why didn't I. It was beautiful, it had hues of green and purple, was about a foot high was styled in the chinnese dragon style. Was in the window of a hobby shop. about 12 inches high and 18 inches long. Wish i had bought it when i had the chance. Hmm i wonder if it is still there. Would of been the perfect to make it look like an atlas was fighting a dragon! Talk about cool Deco!

@warhippy.. how do you know that glasses are not on the future list, to go along with the coasters. Posted Image I really do like the art on them. reminds me of the retro 40's-50's art deco era.. sorta the pre-post war stuff that is so popular these days

Edited by JC Daxion, 21 February 2017 - 06:42 AM.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 February 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

I'm bummed that it doesn't look like the Coasters are going to make it. The artwork on them is amazing! Makes me sad Posted Image

ya never know, it has a few weeks to go, even if it is at just over 50% Maybe folks should post about it on their FB page and ask people to share.. 10k MWO fans, posting.. maybe some have friends interested.. 500 folks is not many.

I personally have to wait another week.. Need to wait till the end of the month so it shows up on next months bill lol

#9 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:40 AM

I'm kinda under the impression that they almost explicitly can't sell us anything resembling a mech "mini" as that is the domain of who ever holds the physical goods license, and that the atlas , as reasonably expensive as it was, was the very first next thing they could do without getting in to problems...

So I'm worried that they will never be able to offer the thing most seem to want the most, posing mechs minis of several scales.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 21 February 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

I'm kinda under the impression that they almost explicitly can't sell us anything resembling a mech "mini" as that is the domain of who ever holds the physical goods license, and that the atlas , as reasonably expensive as it was, was the very first next thing they could do without getting in to problems...

So I'm worried that they will never be able to offer the thing most seem to want the most, posing mechs minis of several scales.

wouldn't that fall under toys, or table top? Don't they already have that kinda stuff being sold? I dunno, i am not big on BT merch, or table top stuff but i know that stuff is out there, even seen some models as well.

#11 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostSuko, on 20 February 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

It seems that the current offerings at BattletechGear.com have been extended to March 1st. This was undoubtedly in an effort to get the remaining 350+ orders needed to fulfill the minimum order requirements. Sadly, I don't think it's going to work.

Stop trying to sell super rare, highly exclusive Battletech oddities and start with simpler things. Ditch the leather jackets and steins aimed at the rich whales and go more towards the working-man with T-shirts, posters, drink glasses or coffee mugs.

Yeah, the only coaster that I would have been interested in was the MadCat one, the rest...have no idea what they were referring to. Some of Alex's artwork would have been really cool.

And I liked the pint glasses idea too.

View PostJC Daxion, on 20 February 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

Speaking for the kids (I'm 28), due largely to macroeconomic factors we tend to have lower earnings and higher debt than our generational predecessors, which means we tend to be choosy about what we spend our money on. Our apartments are smaller and have less space for nic nacs, and apparently we tend to favor "experiences" over "things." This last bit isn't something I came up with but have seen in various business magazines about marketing to millennials.

I personally keep my place pretty spartan. If it doesn't serve a practical function--I get rid of it.

Which isn't to say that if I had a large house in the suburbs I wouldn't fill a display case with steins.

Anyway, I don't personally know anybody in their 20's or lower 30's who collects anything that doesn't have a useful function.

#12 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 February 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

I'm bummed that it doesn't look like the Coasters are going to make it. The artwork on them is amazing! Makes me sad Posted Image
It really is a shame because they really do look great.

View PostJC Daxion, on 21 February 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

Umm you kinda proved my point... you realize there are entire stores that the only stuff they sell are items to place in a corner and look good right? Entire professions.. Sculpture, interior decorator, painter, artists, woodworkers, metal workers, crafters ect. Heck they even have shows on TV that are just about finding old crap to put in your house.. Pawn Stars, pickers, Antiques roadshow, and entire channels, HG Tv that are all about crap to look at in your home. Man caves for example are full of them, Only difference is they are in the basement.. typically the wife gets to put useless crap in the living room, bedroom, den, ect. People even pay to get into places "Museums" just to look at useless crap, though i find that fascinating.

Ohh wait.. yea steins are worthless.. Tell your dad he should just ship um to me and i'll dispose of the unless waste of space items or perhaps sell if he truly is interested Posted Image

as i said, i agree t-shirts/hats/sweatshirts should be part of it. But nothing wrong with higher end collectibles. Women are not the only ones that need useless items to put around their house and have no other purpose other than to admire.

As for 200 bucks for the atlas.. I almost spent about 250 on a metal dragon years ago, i think about it from time to time and why didn't I. It was beautiful, it had hues of green and purple, was about a foot high was styled in the chinnese dragon style. Was in the window of a hobby shop. about 12 inches high and 18 inches long. Wish i had bought it when i had the chance. Hmm i wonder if it is still there. Would of been the perfect to make it look like an atlas was fighting a dragon! Talk about cool Deco!

There is definitely a market for sculptures and other standing display items like steins.
Speaking of metal dragons I bought this bronze statue a number of years back...
Posted Image

#13 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't think it's solely related to some questionable choices as to WHAT to sell (altho I'm all in with the coaster observation).

It's also in the minimum numbers set to initiate production of these products. Sure, I can understand that in the case of a unique figurine like the Atlas that they offered earlier. However, coasters? Mugs? Why did they pick such a high minimum order number?

I know they claim that was the point at which it was worth doing, but with sites like cafe press, etc., around that will produce small lots of items for just about anything, surely they didn't need to set their minimum required order numbers so high.

If, they were set lower, lets say 1/2 as many, most of the current set of offerings would already be met or close to being met.

#14 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 21 February 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't think it's solely related to some questionable choices as to WHAT to sell (altho I'm all in with the coaster observation).

It's also in the minimum numbers set to initiate production of these products. Sure, I can understand that in the case of a unique figurine like the Atlas that they offered earlier. However, coasters? Mugs? Why did they pick such a high minimum order number?

I know they claim that was the point at which it was worth doing, but with sites like cafe press, etc., around that will produce small lots of items for just about anything, surely they didn't need to set their minimum required order numbers so high.

If, they were set lower, lets say 1/2 as many, most of the current set of offerings would already be met or close to being met.

I agree with this. The Stein and Statue I can see needing 1000 orders to fulfill. As I mentioned, machine setup, tooling and molds are pricey. However, coasters or standard coffee mugs with a mech on it should be able to be made at ~500 units instead of 1000.

Basically my post can be summed up as: Go for the low-hanging fruit. Start simple and predictable, then offer super unique oddities. Give me a poster and a Mad Cat mug and you'll see me line up for the pre-orders.

P.S. Have you seen how much the 90's era Battlemech blueprint posters sell for on eBay? (It's a lot). If HBS decided to make a modern version of this with the current line of mechs, they could make a frickin' killing.

#15 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 21 February 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

wouldn't that fall under toys, or table top? Don't they already have that kinda stuff being sold? I dunno, i am not big on BT merch, or table top stuff but i know that stuff is out there, even seen some models as well.

Mby, I also didn't check all the available merch, but what I'm under the impression that there is a demand for is MWO models, and no there really are none of those available bared private prints...

#16 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

I think the whole kickstarter type funding might hurt it a bit too. I kind of wanted one of those hoodies. But when looking at it and seeing that it only had half the orders needed with a few days left I figured I would just check again on the last day. And then I just forgot about it until a couple of days after. Could be others that did the same. Also what was the minimum order number on those? I don't recall but it seemed kind of high for a shirt/hoodie, people get small custom orders of those all the time.

#17 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

OP is correct, from my perspective.

I've collected a lof BT promotional items over the years.

But the items HBS are offering have no use or appeal to me. (A stein...? Really?)

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 21 February 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

Yeah, the only coaster that I would have been interested in was the MadCat one, the rest...have no idea what they were referring to. Some of Alex's artwork would have been really cool.

And I liked the pint glasses idea too.

Speaking for the kids (I'm 28), due largely to macroeconomic factors we tend to have lower earnings and higher debt than our generational predecessors, which means we tend to be choosy about what we spend our money on. Our apartments are smaller and have less space for nic nacs, and apparently we tend to favor "experiences" over "things." This last bit isn't something I came up with but have seen in various business magazines about marketing to millennials.

I personally keep my place pretty spartan. If it doesn't serve a practical function--I get rid of it.

Which isn't to say that if I had a large house in the suburbs I wouldn't fill a display case with steins.

Anyway, I don't personally know anybody in their 20's or lower 30's who collects anything that doesn't have a useful function.

Eh, i guess it's all who you know.. I know kids that collect things, i know adults that do, and some that don't. Personally speaking as someone that is old, lives in a place the size of a studio that basically only buys food and gas and clothing every few years.. I still find a few bucks to pick up things like book, or a collectible of some sort like posters, or Pictures. I have basically a couple shelves for neat items, one of which is on top of my armoie, which has all my stiens and cool beer bottles and old bottles of booze long since empties but look really cool. I could pack up my whole life into the back of a single pick-up truck if you didn't count my desk, bed and dresser..

But yea, most of my collectibles were not collectibles when i bought um outside of a few.. a few ancient toys.. Original dungeons and dragons modules/books. Lead figures, some random toys, or ceramic figures.. Oh and a semi decent sized VHS/CD collection. Ohh and of course my Video game box collection! you know, when video games came in boxes? Yaa i'm old. wait not old... I'm vintage!

still the steins are cool. Then again, i don't own a smart phone, That is how i can afford to buy games and a splurge item on occasion..Posted Image

View PostWarHippy, on 21 February 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

It really is a shame because they really do look great.

There is definitely a market for sculptures and other standing display items like steins.
Speaking of metal dragons I bought this bronze statue a number of years back...
Posted Image

Sweet dragon!

View PostNik Reaper, on 21 February 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Mby, I also didn't check all the available merch, but what I'm under the impression that there is a demand for is MWO models, and no there really are none of those available bared private prints...

I dunno about all the stuff, but i have seen people post pictures of models, mini's and other stuff of that sort on these boards from time to time. Where you get that stuff i have no idea, maybe amazon or E-bay? It might all be out of print type of stuff. I really don't know, i am not a huge battle tech fan. I like it a lot, but not rabid if you know what i mean.

Edited by JC Daxion, 21 February 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostSuko, on 20 February 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Example 3: That Atlas statue was amazing, but eye-flinching at $200. I understand that it was pre-painted and pre-assembled, but you are selling this thing to a group of tabletop gamers. Most of us are more-than-willing to paint and assemble our own models. Personally, I'd have preferred it bare at half that cost so I could paint it how I want it to look.

Solution: I know that the costs of setting up molds and tooling to produce something like a mech statue isn't cheap. However, I think having an unpainted "kit" version that sold at $80 would have been something I'd have jumped on. Maybe $80 is unrealistically low, but I don't know what the situation is with their product suppliers. One thing is for sure; $200 was too much for the vast majority of us.

They need to try it again, but this time with a less intricate model. Perhaps reduce the size a bit and make it the Mad Cat (due to its popularity) and if it helps reduce cost, have it come assembled and unpainted. Sell it as a "model kit" and require the buyer to build + paint it. The key here is to reduce costs for the user. Most of us don't mind building our own model to look the way WE want it to. And the reduced price would definitely help hit that pre-order minimum.

Had that been a Warhammer, Centurion, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Wasp or Timber Wolf, I would've thrown money at the screen...

Being an ex-WH40K player, $200 for one model isn't much more than I would've been spending for a large unit anyways....

How ever you do make a good point, it might be worth their time to offer lower cost items along side the big ticket items.

#20 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

I would pay for something like this - https://www.amazon.c...o/dp/B001KBYT32

I would not pay the $200, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users