- - - - -

Atlas D-Dc Or Kdk-5 For First Assault?

28 replies to this topic

#21 Tenayshus

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostLeone, on 21 February 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Depends on what your looking for honestly. My own personal AS7-D-DC is designed to be as annoying as possible so as to supress two mechs at once, draw all the fire an then tank it. I own no Kodiaks.

For dishing out the damage, or a slight speed boost I'd suggest the Kodiak. But for taking the hits and staying in the fight, I'd suggest the DDC.

Simply put, the DDC can only single gauss, and'll rely on missiles to get the full benefit of the hardpoints, where-as the KDK-3 has dual gauss plus more lasers, which you mentioned liking, but I like the Atlas better for spreading damage.

P.S. Assualting Suggstions

~Leone.

This isnt my thread but I just wanted to tell you that I bought an Atlas DDC based on this thread and I built it this way. Mine doesnt have ams or the beagle probe or dhs yet but I was able to finally hold my own in a fight. I was using the lrm heavy Stalker trial mech before and enjoyed using it. I didnt like getting lrm focused by them and the ecm on the DDC seems to help.

I did put artemis on mine and I noticed you didnt. Why?

Edited by Tenayshus, 22 February 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#22 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hold off as long as you can before you buy your first mech. Having all those early Cbill's is a huge advantage and you get to better understand your style of play. As long as your name appears in light blue, you are not ready to buy a mech yet.

That being said its hard to go wrong with either mech and the other players have pointed out numerous reasons why. the question I have for you is, do you plan to spend money on the game? if so the kodiak pack with 3 varients is $20 but the atlas Mastery pack with 3 varients is a lot more. Id use the CBills on the Atlas and buy the kodiak pack later.

#23 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostTenayshus, on 22 February 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

If you are LRM5 stacking you don't want artemis, to much tonnage for too little payout. If you were using LRM 15's or 20's it would be worth it.

Obligatory meta comment: Don't do cruel things to your Atlas, like putting LRM5's on it. Make it the brawler it could be, or the brawler it should be.

#24 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

This isnt my thread but I just wanted to tell you that I bought an Atlas DDC based on this thread and I built it this way. Mine doesnt have ams or the beagle probe or dhs yet but I was able to finally hold my own in a fight. I was using the lrm heavy Stalker trial mech before and enjoyed using it. I didnt like getting lrm focused by them and the ecm on the DDC seems to help.

Okay, this might take a while, so take a seat, Let's talk builds and tactics.

Most've been suggesting the Ac20 an Srm Atlas beacuse it's a classic that's good at what it does. So, take a look at your atlas, big tanky, and with giant beefy arms with hardly anything in em. When approachin' an enemy, the classic approach is to look sideways so they see your mech in profile and your arm takes all the damage. Then, if you lose that arm that's what...119 damage that you've taken after quirks? Yeah, anything further that hits your arm stub loses 60% of it' damage afore it's transferred to the torso. So, if you twist around like your atlas is showering in laser fire, trying to clean both armpits an the enemy blows off both arms that's 238 damage you've taken with hardly any combat capaciity loss.

My unit actually took all of us into private matches to do Dakka Kodiak Vs Brawling Atlas runs, starting in the open at 400~500m and half the time the atlases still managed to win despite having to advance under withering fire outta range half the time.

Now, that said, you may notice, the Uac 5 build isn't quite built for that fire an twist combat style, but that doesn't mean you can't still use it to your advantage. Twist when the large lasers start coming, or when an lrm volley manages to tag you an is about to hit. Focus the edge of an enemy firing line if your charging one, so you still provide the as much of the shield arm as possible to the rest. My own personal firing method is to uac5 a target whilst getting locks, then fire the lrms an swing out to the next target an pepper them with uac fire whilst lrming the first mech. If they both stay outta cover, swing the reticule back over the first mech to keep lock. Half the time this'll cause both of em to pop back into cover allowing you to maintain suppression of multipule mechs with but one, so team advantage to you.

Now, the DHS is pretty awesome, but the uac 5 actually runs fairly cool, so your fine there, for now. The Beagle Active Probe is more for battlefield knowledge. It extends sensor range along with the command console. There's also the ecm shutdown in close, but you can manage that by flipping your own ECM to counter mode. You don't really need it, I added it for 'convenience' and because I designed that mech to pug boss an the lore nerd in me was completely willing to spend 4.5 tonnes and 3 slots to make it feel more like a command an control mech. My ams was added to assist the team it's what.. 1.5 tonnes and two slots for additional missile protection for my teammates? Since you've played missile mechs you have an idea how lrms work an I'm sure you'll be fine in avoiding em, specially with the ecm, you'll be fine without ams. It's meant for teammates, not you.

Artemis. Ah good 'ole Artemis. So, let's go over what Artemis is, and then we can cover why you may or may not want it. So, artemis, while you have line of sight on a mech allows the missiles to track better an reduces the spread. Artemis does nothing for indirect fire, but its pretty awesome if you plan on getting your own locks, an with a uac 5 build, we prolly will, so we're good there. But the reduced spread thing? lrm 5s just don't need it. Now, that said, others may come on an argue it'll reduce it even further, or the better tracking helps against lights or what not. But I don't feel it's worth the extra tonne per launcher until your looking at lrm 15s. (that said, I'd work on getting DHS before deciding to pull the artemis or not. Maybe try out the srm 6 artemis build sometime before you decide to pull artemis?)

My original build spent nine tonnes on the lrms an their ammo as secondary weapons an suppression weaponry. It was meant to be more of a psychological weapon, chain fired to make mechs stop looking at you so they'd stop hurting you as much. Tanking by way of convincing a mech to leave the fight for now. Minimum effort for maximum results an all that. Artemis is more of a weapon system you set up when missiles are your primary weapon. When you want to get missile related kills whilst focusing down your enemy.

If you really want Artemis, something like This Monster would be more of an artemis focused build. Gotta sacrifice alotta the dross I like to keep around for that 1k sensors range, but it'll pack a much more noticeable punch methinks.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 22 February 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 February 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

60% reduction gives 40% left,
40% of 40 is 16, I am not sure how you got to 11.2, unless I am missing something (which with my track record today I cannot rule out)

You realize that if you minus 60%... what remains is 40%, correct?

100 - 60 = 40.

If you -40 what you get is 60.

"60 reduction" is another way of saying "minus 60."

Much like 60 additional is another way of saying "plus 60."

In the equation X Damage given, Y reduction, Z(if different) reduction = damage delivered,
The equation is saying that X with 60% removed of 60% removed end the result is of X, 40% of 40% delivered.
Probably just made that more confusing by breaking it down. Stick to the first line I gave. Posted Image

Last edit. The final amount given was factoring in the missile door quirk that's been existing and unlisted (since it is a temporary conditional quirk) since 2012.

Edited by Koniving, 22 February 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#26 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 February 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

You realize that if you minus 60%... what remains is 40%, correct?

100 - 60 = 40.

If you -40 what you get is 60.

"60 reduction" is another way of saying "minus 60."

Much like 60 additional is another way of saying "plus 60."

yes, I know this, if you take 60% off 100 you get 40, 40% of 40 is 16, am I missing something?

I had missed that you said a 70 damage alpha strike, sorry

#27 Tenayshus

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

I tried using srms and had the worst time leading and hitting anyone with them while they were trying to circle me. I finally figured out that it is easier to walk backwards and turn in reverse while trying to keep them from getting behind me. Every Atlas teammate ive seen has used lrms. I have read some other threads and didnt realize they were taboo on an Atlas. I tried the ac20/srm brawler build first but had two matches that were over before I got to the fight. I only did 8 damage because I was so slow and none of my weapons could reach them on the big open snow maps.The reason I use and like his build was that it let me dish out from a distance.

Thanks for the builds, tips and food for thought. Sorry OP for butting in on your conversation.

#28 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostTenayshus, on 22 February 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

I tried using srms and had the worst time leading and hitting anyone with them while they were trying to circle me. I finally figured out that it is easier to walk backwards and turn in reverse while trying to keep them from getting behind me. Every Atlas teammate ive seen has used lrms. I have read some other threads and didnt realize they were taboo on an Atlas. I tried the ac20/srm brawler build first but had two matches that were over before I got to the fight. I only did 8 damage because I was so slow and none of my weapons could reach them on the big open snow maps.The reason I use and like his build was that it let me dish out from a distance.

Thanks for the builds, tips and food for thought. Sorry OP for butting in on your conversation.

the way most people build an Atlas is to have all close up weapons, the idea is to walk around a corner and murder whatever is there.
more experianced pilots will know how to handle an Atlas but a lot of people in t5 are not experianced players (although some are)

I, like you, find it annoying that I wait half the game not firing anything in an Atlas so I put a single LRM rack (usualy a 10) on the Atlas with AC20, SRMs and Medium/Small lasers.

LRM 10 with 2 tons of ammo meens you are not completely useless early game, there is nothing wrong with putting LRMs on an Atlas, the problem is when people take the Atlas, probably the most durable Mech in the game and stay 800-1000m from the fight lobbing LRMs and complaining that people are not holding locks, then as the last survivor complain that the rest of the team are rubbish, or after wandering off complain that they urgently need help when a Light Mech finds them, and in ether case they are likely to finish the match having got 100 damage.

the thing is in that situation if the Atlas stayed with the team, even if it carries the exact same loadout and does the exact same ammount of damate that would make a massive diferance, an Atlas can absorb a huge ammount of damage, it will often take the whole enemy team 10+ seconds of focus fire to take down an Atlas, that may not sound like much but in that time your team can take 2-3 enemy Mechs out of the fight, giving them an advantage later, also at closer range even if you are using LRMs you are far more likely to do damage.

Also the Atlas has this psychological effect on the enemy, they see an Atlas and they do not know it is piloted by a new player, they do know that their Mech has been killed one on one by an Atlas in 10 seconds before and do not want it to happen again, be aware of this.

Do not run carelessly to your death, but if you start getting focus fired by several Mechs twist the torso to present your strongest arm/side torso and remember incoming damage looses 60% of its power for each destroyed componant it passes through, so if you loose an arm or torso put that dead side between the your Center Torso and the enemy, that will massivly improve suvivability.

also get Double Heat Sinks as soon as possible, they make a huge diferance

#29 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

- Atlas D-DC!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users