- - - - -

Atlas D-Dc Or Kdk-5 For First Assault?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

I know they are very different mechs, but i like them both, but i don't know who is better for a noob.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostBlue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, on 21 February 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

I know they are very different mechs, but i like them both, but i don't know who is better for a noob.

AS7-S or KDK-3 you mean?

KDK-3.

#3 Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostTercieI, on 21 February 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

AS7-S or KDK-3 you mean?

KDK-3.

No meta here hehe, i just like a mix of laser boating and a gauss and some ecm on a assault, since it's harder to get focused.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

The Atlas D-DC. ECM is very forgiving.

Kodiaks are good mechs, don't get me wrong. But they also have large issues with overheating since there's a lot of tonnage to work with but not a lot of slots free to fill. Even with the Clans' smaller weapons, ultimately there just isn't enough room to keep a good arsenal of weapons AND the heatsinks necessary to cool them... so you gotta sacrifice one way or the other.
For the Atlas there is no need to sacrifice to get what you want.

There's also the initial price for getting the 'Mechs. The Kodiak is a lot less forgiving there.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostBlue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, on 21 February 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

No meta here hehe, i just like a mix of laser boating and a gauss and some ecm on a assault, since it's harder to get focused.

I stand by my answer.

#6 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

I agree with Terciel mostly, but for a beginner, engines are expensive. I personally like the DDC as a better starter mech. The ECM is nicer in lower tiers when people don't shoot so accurately. I wouldnt put Guass on it though because it is a very very low mount and you will hit hills (or teammates) a lot before you learn it.

I did something like this a while back. It was built on budget in Tier 5, but it worked just fine then. I modified it long after for less heatsinks, bigger engine, less ammo, etc. The LL give you some poke until you learn how to get into position without getting shot and then you ignore them when you get to about 200m when you can pull out the brawl.

AS7-D-DC

Cheers!

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

You know, it is hard to go wrong with a stalker. 4 LL's works very well on them, good for new players as no ammo to worry about.. also the STD engine is not that expensive and they spread damage well. the long range also makes them helpful in support in PUGs that decide not to move much. the 4N, and 5M are both good, and give you missile options as well to play around with. they are also typically a lower threat target which is also nice for new players.

the brawling atlas's are hard to play, but you can build a medium range DDC

KD3 is kinda OP with its dual UAC10+ Dual UAC5 builds.. you have the down side of not liking anything else after playing it because they are not as good. they also have a bit CT, if you don't twist, they can be taken down very easily if you don't really know how to play. combine that with ebing a high priority target can often make them one of the first mechs to drop and they are expensive..

the stalker you can get, upgrade and stuff a STD300 engine in it for around 13m.. have plenty of money left over for something else.

Just my 2 cents

#8 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Depends on what your looking for honestly. My own personal AS7-D-DC is designed to be as annoying as possible so as to supress two mechs at once, draw all the fire an then tank it. I own no Kodiaks.

For dishing out the damage, or a slight speed boost I'd suggest the Kodiak. But for taking the hits and staying in the fight, I'd suggest the DDC.

Simply put, the DDC can only single gauss, and'll rely on missiles to get the full benefit of the hardpoints, where-as the KDK-3 has dual gauss plus more lasers, which you mentioned liking, but I like the Atlas better for spreading damage.

P.S. Assualting Suggstions

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 21 February 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Post762 NATO, on 21 February 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

AS7-D-DC

Cheers!

good build, but for something that runs a bit cooler, swap out the A-SRM6's for non artemis SRM4's, and put a slightly bigger engine in with more heat sinks, strip a little armor from the legs, and put in an STD320, with an extra 2 heat sinks in the engine.. and move the two from the arms into the side torso with the SRM's

View PostLeone, on 21 February 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Depends on what your looking for honestly. My own personal AS7-D-DC is designed to be as annoying as possible so as to supress two mechs at once, draw all the fire an then tank it. I own no Kodiaks.

~Leone.

I've also run almost identical in pugs as well, but if ya drop a heatsink, and ams and add endo, you can swap out the ML's for a pair of LL's, runs a little hotter, but packs a bigger punch.

Edited by JC Daxion, 21 February 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#10 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

Honestly, I'd be wary of a new pilot taking an Atlas as one of their first mechs. It excels as a surprise mech, basically ruining anything that is unlucky enough to round a corner and find it already within its firing range, but that means you have to have a good sense of how to position, which isn't a skill you'll have at the outset. Particularly with how slow the Atlas is, you'll need to know where to stand well ahead of time.
It's also kind of hard to take long range on an Atlas, because of how low all the weapon mounts are and how slow the acceleration/deceleration is. It's not a big deal when you're rounding a corner to brawl something within 200 meters, but if you're trying to poke above or around the edge of a hill from far away, you're going to expose yourself quite a bit or end up hitting the ground, and not going to be able to duck back into cover very well.

I'd say the Kodiak is far safer to bring as a new pilot simply for the hardpoint location; it's much easier to expose less of the mech while firing from range, and usually the Kodiak will be far faster than an Atlas (the builds posted above suggest a 300 engine, going 52 KPH AFTER speed tweak is unlocked, and 49 KPH until then, which is extremely unforgiving for someone learning how to position).

#11 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostHusker Dude, on 21 February 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Honestly, I'd be wary of a new pilot taking an Atlas as one of their first mechs. It excels as a surprise mech, basically ruining anything that is unlucky enough to round a corner and find it already within its firing range, but that means you have to have a good sense of how to position, which isn't a skill you'll have at the outset. Particularly with how slow the Atlas is, you'll need to know where to stand well ahead of time.
It's also kind of hard to take long range on an Atlas, because of how low all the weapon mounts are and how slow the acceleration/deceleration is. It's not a big deal when you're rounding a corner to brawl something within 200 meters, but if you're trying to poke above or around the edge of a hill from far away, you're going to expose yourself quite a bit or end up hitting the ground, and not going to be able to duck back into cover very well.

I'd say the Kodiak is far safer to bring as a new pilot simply for the hardpoint location; it's much easier to expose less of the mech while firing from range, and usually the Kodiak will be far faster than an Atlas (the builds posted above suggest a 300 engine, going 52 KPH AFTER speed tweak is unlocked, and 49 KPH until then, which is extremely unforgiving for someone learning how to position).

I'll second what Husker says about Atlas being a difficult choice for a noob--I certainly suffered in my AS7-S before finally selling it.

That being said, the D-DC does have the ECM which is more forgiving to the positioning errors common amongs noobs.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

The Atlas is a personal fav, but to use them well be prepared for hard mode.

KDK-3 is hands down the best option

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

View Post762 NATO, on 21 February 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I agree with Terciel mostly, but for a beginner, engines are expensive. I personally like the DDC as a better starter mech. The ECM is nicer in lower tiers when people don't shoot so accurately. I wouldnt put Guass on it though because it is a very very low mount and you will hit hills (or teammates) a lot before you learn it.

I did something like this a while back. It was built on budget in Tier 5, but it worked just fine then. I modified it long after for less heatsinks, bigger engine, less ammo, etc. The LL give you some poke until you learn how to get into position without getting shot and then you ignore them when you get to about 200m when you can pull out the brawl.

AS7-D-DC

Cheers!

Holy hotballs / slow donkey build... 52km/h? With low mounted lasers you don't get to use in most situations...

This is how you run the DDC Atlas if you want a decent build. You can only truly brawl with an Atlas. Or use UAC5s are Leone put up earlier. Or LBX10s

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

You can use a UAC5 like THIS if you want as well

#15 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

I have a Kodiak-3 and it is by far not my favourite Assault.
Sure i can do some DMG with it, but everyones seems to hate you, you get a lot of attention.
I play it mostly aggresively - and get kicked a lot - don't survive a lot of matches with it.

I enjoy my Stalker and Battlemaster builds a lot more, which btw are nearly as fast as a kodiak, the Battlemaster maybe even faster.

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 22 February 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 22 February 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

I enjoy my Stalker and Battlemaster builds a lot more, which btw are nearly as fast as a kodiak, the Battlemaster maybe even faster.

a max engine BLR is 12 kph faster than a max engine Kodiak (unless you are talking Spirit bear using MASC) depending on what engine you take, a max engine Stalker is 5kph slower than a max engine Kodiak, however it is a lot more durable (provided you take a standard engine, and an XL Stalker is usualy a bad idea) the Stalker has huge arms and side torsos, meaning it can tank rediculous ammounts of damage, if you hit the arm after the side torso has gone 84% of the damage just vanishes, or if you hit the destroyed torso 60% of the damage goes. this makes the Stalker one of the most durable Mechs in the game, roughly on par with the Atlas which is the tankyst of the 100 ton Mech, the Dire, King Crab and Kodiak are much less durable

#17 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

here my builds

only problem is that most of weapons are on one side:
BLR-2C

just large lasers, but works for me
STK-4N

that one seems lowtech & cheap ... but works very well for me
STK-5S

everyone will hate me for that, but i have best stats with this (although it runs a little hot)
AWS-8R

The Kodiak could be sth like this:
KDK-3

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 22 February 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 February 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

a max engine BLR is 12 kph faster than a max engine Kodiak (unless you are talking Spirit bear using MASC) depending on what engine you take, a max engine Stalker is 5kph slower than a max engine Kodiak, however it is a lot more durable (provided you take a standard engine, and an XL Stalker is usualy a bad idea) the Stalker has huge arms and side torsos, meaning it can tank rediculous ammounts of damage, if you hit the arm after the side torso has gone 84% of the damage just vanishes, or if you hit the destroyed torso 60% of the damage goes. this makes the Stalker one of the most durable Mechs in the game, roughly on par with the Atlas which is the tankyst of the 100 ton Mech, the Dire, King Crab and Kodiak are much less durable

Huge arms? Stalkers? Well maybe huge left over arm hitboxes after their destruction. For an assault mech they have the smallest arms of any so far.

But, the left over hitboxes + the mechanics of a missile door (10% damage resistance while closed; including after destruction if closed at the time)... these combine with the super narrow front center torso and excessively large front side torsos to provide all kinds of damage resistance through destroyed limbs (STs, Arms) as each destroyed limb, if hit, will reduce damage by 60% (allowing 40% to transfer to the next part) and through two layers that's Damage - 60% - 60%... A 70 damage alpha strike - 60% - 60% = 11.2 damage. That's not counting the missile door. If we did, 8.4 damage.)

The STD engine Stalker... No wonder its turning and twisting abilities are rottenly terrible.

#19 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

I use 2 lbx10 , 2 med lasers , 3 srm4 and a 320 engine . This DDC will rock your world .Posted Image

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 February 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

60% - 60% = 11.2 damage

60% reduction gives 40% left,
40% of 40 is 16, I am not sure how you got to 11.2, unless I am missing something (which with my track record today I cannot rule out)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 22 February 2017 - 08:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users