- - - - -

Ballistics - Quality Or Quantity?

23 replies to this topic

#21 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

A filleting knife is not the same as a boning knife is not the same as a meat cleaver. Use the right tool for the right job.

AC/2's are your long-range, volume-of-fire ballistics. You need to face-stare at the enemy, and each gun doesn't exactly do a lot of damage. It requires extended exposure time to get your DPS down. Not very recommended, unless you can somehow boat 6-8 of them at a time and/or are mobile and can easily reposition. They're not particularly precise either, and you'll find yourself dumping damage across multiple components or missing entirely. When you do have 6-8 of them, however, you can think of them as being almost like rapid-fire, heat-generating gauss rifles. The velocity and falloff profiles are very similar.

AC/5s are bigger cousins of the AC/2. They fill a similar long-mid range role to the AC/2, though with a bit more punch per shell. These are more precise when it comes to dishing out damage on a single component, and are most useful when boated in groups of 2-4. Use these if you like being mid-long range fire support, or if you cannot boat bigger guns as a brawler.

AC/10s are the jack-of-all-trades, general-purpose autocannons. They deal respectable damage, the shells travel fairly quickly. But the best part of all is that they can crit out an internal part in one hit, and they have ~33% more damage per ton of ammo compared to the other AC/x weapons (200 damage per ton vs 150/140). Use these if you want to brawl, but also be able to fire shots at things slightly further away than in-your-face.

AC/20s are the biggest, slowest firing autocannons. They let you put damage on a single component, and a crit on an open component will generally do massive damage enough to rip off a limb. Their shells, however, travel as slow as a snail coated in thickened molasses and dumped into a bucketful of honey. It'll take quite a bit of prediction to hit fast-moving targets, but if you hit, it does major damage. Use if you can or will get into in-your-face brawling range; works exceptionally well with SRMs.

These are all for Inner Sphere models. Clan model autocannons are better off being compared to lasers with distinct pulses of damage and some travel time.

#22 Avian Blackfrost

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 24 posts
  • LocationZootopia, Zootopia Police Dept

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

I don't really like boating smaller ballistics... can't make use of cover as well sinceyou have to keep your sights on the enemy. I prefer using big, quality, armor-piercing shots like dual Gauss and dual AC/10. Fire a shot, then duck behind cover.

Edited by Avian Blackfrost, 22 February 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#23 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 February 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

my problems with them are price and size, they are about 25% more expensive and more massive (1 more slot) than the UACs, all you are paying the extra for is the impossiblilty of jamming and slightly diferant sound effect at the cost of being unable to double tap, if you hold down fire on a UAC you will never double tap and therefore never jam.

If they work for you then great, but I cannot recomend them, and feel it is important people know the downsides before wasting spending cbills and slots on them

I understand, but what else do you do with Millions of C-Bills after you have put freaking lasers in heads of giant killer robots?

Posted Image

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 23 February 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#24 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

I find that one big autocannon goes well on smaller mechs and boating goes well on assaults. If you move at 100 kph, then running in and bopping the enemy in the face with an AC20 is great. If you go 50 kph, being able to volley fire 4 AC5's while you lumber across the map towards the battle line is better.

But the question you should be asking yourself isn't whether you have the right kind of dakka...

It's whether you've stuffed as much dakka as physically possible into your mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users