- - - - -

Is The Kgc A Hard Mode Assault ?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Is it viable on the current state of the game?

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Make one thread and update it with your questions.

Everything can be viable, some are just better than others.

Assualts are not forgiving for new players, in general.

#3 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'll go ahead and say that it's somewhat less than viable as far as Assaults go. Assaults are punishing-though they pack a hell of a punch, they're slow and make huge targets, which all contributes to this one fact when playing Assaults: You must choose where you go carefully, because one wrong corner, one hasty exposure from cover, and you will be DONE in an Assault.

The King Crab suffers more than most because it tends to be built more slowly than say, a Battlemaster, not to mention presenting a more attractive target than most Assault mechs. Add to this the fact that it has primarily low weapon mounts, and things don't exactly look good for it.

The KGC was brought into MWO early, and it has been eclipsed by newer mechs. Let's not even talk about the hard-wired reaction of most players to completely destroy it on sight. I would even say that it's the mech that people want most to destroy on sight.

#4 JENNER llC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:02 AM

the thing you have to keep in mind with the king crab is it is very wide, so you have to be conscious of clearing firepower with both sides

you will see targets but can struggle to bring everything to bear if u are not aware which can be a huge pain with terrain + teammates making that an issue

the king crab shined as more agile 100ton gunboat compared to the direwolf but with the arrival of the superfast kodiak it lost that placing along with majority of assaults

youd probally enjoy battlemasters more for an IS assault ? its more forgiving in various ways or just do what everyone does and spam kodiaks

#5 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

Its still one of the top IS assults def in the top 5 for sure. But no it isn't a clan easymode assult like a Marauder II or Kodiak.

Edited by Sunstruck, 22 February 2017 - 12:11 AM.

#6 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

My favourite assaults: Stalker, Battlemaster, Kodiak ... King Crab was fun but now it is challenging.

#7 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:06 AM

I do not own King Crab yet but I would also recommend the Battlemaster if you are determined to begin as an IS assault pilot. They have mobility that is close the the Kodiaks especially if you run an xl engine (ya better get good fast at positioning twisting and spreading damage with an xl in a Battlemaster) but the only IS mech that I have successfully brawled 1v1 against a KDK-3 is my Atlas D-DC or S. The only Atlas I would recommend for a rookie might be the AS7-D-DC with ecm but positioning would be tough because they are as slow as the King Crab and also a big favorite target for lights.

If you do get the Battlemaster, I would recommend the 2C first. A.S. Kerensky has a great build for it and is great with it but I think he runs an xl engine it.

If you go with the AS7-D-DC, Leone has a great build for it. He shared it on the Atlas DDC vs Kodiak 3 first mech topic.

If you want to think and build outside of the meta box ask Koniving for a build.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 22 February 2017 - 05:18 AM.

#8 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:42 AM

I like the quad UAC/5 King Crab but I cannot find a good build with the other variants, I tried dual AC/20 + LPLs and dual gauss + LPLs they are very situational because you're VERY slow. IMHO Kodiak or Battlemaster / Marauder IIC are better mechs.

#9 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:19 AM

I wasn't sure about the Batlemaster 2c, but the unit suggested I get one . . and I like it
my W/L & K/D ratio, is better with the Battlemaster-2C, then the Kodiak 3

I don't do Assaults in QP, but if I do, it'll most likely be a Battlemaster-2C

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

Is it viable on the current state of the game?

one lesson of forums is no matter what you say or question you ask some one will come around
and say the exact opposite of what is said

best is to try some trial assaults and see how you do

in fact what I used to do was play trail mechs each day to collect the X2 "XP" reward
this allowed me to build up XP on that Mech so if I bought it later down the road I would already have mech XP built up

the game is about to change with the new skill tree that is going to come out next month so I am not sure how things
are going to play out

anyways

GLHF

#11 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

here my builds

only problem is that most of weapons are on one side:
BLR-2C

just large lasers, but works for me
STK-4N

that one seems lowtech & cheap ... but works very well for me
STK-5S

everyone will hate me for that, but i have best stats with this (although it runs a little hot)
AWS-8R

Edited by aGentleWarrior, 22 February 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

I own one King Crab, as such only had the basics unlock for it...

There's nothing "not" viable for it. If you know how to use assault mechs already, this thing is basically an easy mode Dire Wolf. However as far as 100 ton mechs go... It'll never be as fast as the Kodiak or some Atlases, nor can it tank like them. Standard engine builds have provided some interesting designs that can take quite a beating, but think of yourself as classic Ed 209.

Slow to reasonably fast in a straight line. Big powerful guns. And any robocop out there is gonna try to outsmart you.

What you need to do is make sure that you... shoot first. Shoot hard. And that your target is DEAD. King Crabs can carry some of the deadliest front-loaded damage loadouts of any assault mech. But it is on you to make it happen. One on one, anything that gets in front of a King Crab is likely to die.

2 on 1, the King Crab's chances are maybe cut by 1/3rd. 3 on 1, this really depends but odds are "Him say you gon'a die, Kimosabe." X on 2... if anyone on your side is going to die it will be you. Soon as anyone sees a King Crab everyone wants it dead for the very reason that if a King Crab sees them... they are gonna be dead.

Oh, and while you could bring some LRMs...

Don't commit to being an LRM boat.

Anything that lacks lower arm actuators and has fewer than 4 missile hardpoints should never become a committed LRM boat.

#13 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

I love my KingCrab, its just a fun mech to pilot but if your goal is to be good at this game and advance in Tiers its not high on my recommend list. To me the KC has become exactly what I use mine for, a fun mech to take for a few runs and keep in the garage but nothing you are going to take on an important mission. Its the classic car of the MWO universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users