I've Arrived In Tier 3. Am I Somewhat Less Potato Now?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

On to Tier 2!

Posted Image

#2 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

Good for you and cograts. I've been T2 for about a week now. Somehow it feels easier than T3. Maybe I've just been lucky, but to me T3 felt horribly lopsided compared to the matches I've had on T2. It was allways either a WinStomp or LoseStomp on T3. Nothing in between.

Edited by Reverend Herring, 22 February 2017 - 11:29 PM.

#3 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

T3 you get everything from the T1, you peek 3 pixels out of cover and you get headshotted- even if the pixels weren't from your head, to the T5 "my PPCs are missing from 50m away and so are my LRMs!" players. so from match to match you can bounce between being the carrier and being the carried. I have found the number of pure stomps has dropped some though at least at the times when i'm playing.

as a possible side effect of getting every tier player possible in a match at one point or another, I have yet to notice any change in the number of LRM boats in each match.

#4 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostTanar, on 23 February 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

you peek 3 pixels out of cover and you get headshotted

Yeah, I've already run across at least two opponents who seemed like practicing headhunters. And overall, I definitely feel like I can't play as sloppy as I've been able to get away with in the past (sometimes).

Time to tighten up n' git gud!

#5 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

View PostReverend Herring, on 22 February 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

Good for you and cograts. I've been T2 for about a week now. Somehow it feels easier than T3. Maybe I've just been lucky, but to me T3 felt horribly lopsided compared to the matches I've had on T2. It was allways either a WinStomp or LoseStomp on T3. Nothing in between.

Thanks and likewise, congrats on T2! I felt like T4 would just go on forever for a while! I have definitely noticed a change in the character of the matches. Much less team chatter, much more frustration. On the other hand, people still don't hit "R," the teams that talk least still lose most, and the LRM's are still raining down like... rain.

Somethings never change.

#6 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

If you hit "R" somebody might shoot at something you are shooting at. Can't have that.Posted Image

#7 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 22 February 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

On to Tier 2!

Well Done.

Just to be clear, Tier 5 to Tier 1, no one is a potato. Everybody plays at different times and different styles. Everyone has potential, and your approach defines who you are, not the number underneath your player name.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

I had more fun on tier 3 than I do on tier 2, enjoy.

#9 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

View PostPeter Wolf 359, on 24 February 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Well Done.

Just to be clear, Tier 5 to Tier 1, no one is a potato. Everybody plays at different times and different styles. Everyone has potential, and your approach defines who you are, not the number underneath your player name.

Thanks! And you're right, of course. I just meant to say that, while I've still got a ways to go and still occasionally have bad games, I feel like I'm finally recognizing and exploiting more of the enemy's mistakes than I'm making myself.

Another thing I've learned, which I'm not particularly proud of but will stand by as necessary in solo QM, is being able to assess my own team quickly, before the fighting starts. I've gotten pretty good at reading when the writing's on the wall, and playing accordingly.

Edited by Mister Glitchdragon, 06 March 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#10 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 01 March 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

I had more fun on tier 3 than I do on tier 2, enjoy.

The thing that's fun about 3 is that it's such a mixed bag. You never know what you're going to get! Sometimes my team rolls, sometimes we get rolled. But I feel like I'm in more close back-n-forth pitched battles than ever before. You know how it usually goes: once you get down two or more mechs, the match goes down in flames. But lately it seems like I'm on and against teams that know how to put the brakes on a roll and turn it around.

I hope this doesn't stop anytime soon.

Edited by Mister Glitchdragon, 06 March 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#11 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

I believe the skill system not to count for too much really. I mean look at me , I am tier 1.

The only way I made it to tier 1 was by being a gigantic coward, never 1 on 1 duel someone, always engage a enemy from where they can not see and the second they start to turn my way I run away and regroup, I use jump jets to get a quick volley off on someone use front loaded damage weapons (I used to use DoT until a year after clans were introduced) and so much more!

There is more to being a higher ranker then just skill, like using your team mates as bait.

#12 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

Congrats!

To answer your question... YES!

Advice to make Tier 3 fun: Learning to Roll with the punches. No seriously! Posted Image

When I got to Tier 3 it was an awakening as I started to come up against those teams with lots of unit tags...
The guys you are fighting now from Tier 1 and 2 are decent shots, and learning to "roll" the damage across the front or sides of your mech will make life much easier.

See you on the field! Posted Image

#13 Jiffy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

I honestly haven't noticed much difference between T5 and T1. Nobody shoots down UAV's, nascar is still rampant, and mind blowingly stupid strategies occur regularly. Really what it comes down to is luck of the draw. A team of T2 / T3's that are all on the same page and working together will usually do better than a team of T1's all running around doing their own thing (with few exceptions). Basically tier is an XP bar, and not a measure of skill-- if you're not a potato now, you probably weren't before either. Posted Image

#14 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostPeter Wolf 359, on 24 February 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Just to be clear, Tier 5 to Tier 1, no one is a potato.
Those players who carry LRM60 build with only 1-2 tons of ammo and only shoot the terrain or teammates 50m in front of them are potato.

#15 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

View PostAthom83, on 23 March 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Those players who carry LRM60 build with only 1-2 tons of ammo and only shoot the terrain or teammates 50m in front of them are potato.

I have to disagree.

They are either very young to the game. They may be trolling. If they ran that build and helped contribute to a team and achieved victory then what does it matter? However if they ran that build, did not contribute and lost 10 matches in a row doing less then 100 damage each game then they need to change their approach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users