What Does The Supernova Offer That Other Mechs Don't?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

I've been looking at it, and it seems to sport a lot of the weaknesses present on mechs heavily focused on the arms, along with the problems of a conical torso.

Not only that, but it's pretty slow for a 90 tonner, limited by its engine cap, topping off at 62 with speed tweak. It seems to me that it'll be relegated to fire support only. Given how slow it is, it's unlikely that it'll be effective while brawling and can't seem to twist off the damage that's being dealt to it.

The torso-mounted hardpoints are at least close to cockpit height, but it also doesn't have a significant number of hardpoints compared to its smaller omnimech cousin.

I want to like it. It looks really cool, but it's meh. If the engine cap were raised to 375 for all variants, maybe it'd be halfway decent.

#2 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

It’s probably designed in expectation of a low engine cap ceasing to be a disadvantage in future,
see: https://mwomercs.com...ed-from-engine/

#3 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Yup been looking over the Assaults for a few days now talking myself out of picking up the 20 dollar pack. Pretty much the one I really want is Broiler and I sure dont wanna spend 35 bucks for 1 mech. Also happen to be working on King Crab at moment so that basic body shape already has me cringing,

Pro's i see: Well its clan, so right there already has a boost up on potential. Can swap its engine around, eat up tonnage or boost speed. Engine affect maneuverability but that is going away, and not that much of a boost really at this tonnage. Has a decent amount of tonnage for weaponry. Variants have decent amount of hard points. Jump Jets

Con's: All variants
are pretty similar. Not omni mech so no swapping pods allowed. Max 325 engine no clue why 90 tonners tend to be limited to such small engines and thus low speeds can be frustrating(sad to say been spoiled by speed of warhawk and gargoyle LOL).

Coming out so soon after the Marauder IIC see the Supernova fan base being pretty small.

#4 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

The conic torso is not a weakness. It means you have to/can stay pointed at the enemy and wiggle to tank. It will spread damage with the efficiency of an atlas while avoiding the need to aim your arms at the enemy,(this means don't aim your arms. They will get ripped off..) Simply wiggle back and forth an even amount from the center position starting from being aimed at the enemy.(It should look like you are telling the enemy, "no!". Try to keep enemies as directly in front of you as possible. Side angles increase concentration in to section of the mech.

This means you can torso twist and spread damage while minimizing the time to aim back at your targets and return fire. That is the point of all mechs with that structure.( As far as I know) I don't honestly understand how nobody understand this sort of thing. Nobody in this game ever seem to learn anything but how to fire the guns.. And I hear this stated constantly about cone mechs... It's just like the direwolf.

It's the single most efficient tanking design as it allows the most efficient return fire because of lack of twisting distance. you just have to keep staying forward or stay out of enemy fire.(And be consciencous of anything on your side angles.) This means you can push or sustain forward fire like a madman. Note how the Supernova has all Clan energy with slower duration. It's designed to look forward. This means you don't have to move as much after fireing to tank. Line your shots between enemy shots and use distance if needed to minimize any taken damage. Change according to the exact weapon layout used. Those mechs are all straight forward assault mechs. Move forward at enemies directly in front of you and kill! If stuff gets on your side kill and move to the next(or re-maneuver, possibly falling back to reduce the angle) to keep enemy fire as directly in your front as possible and wiggle when fired upon. Return fire. Rinse. Repeat.

Just be careful of PPCs because the damage is gimped for some stupid reason. Having the 15 damage split stopps proper lower potential TTK times(This counters things like IS maneuverability/firerate. Let alone any mechs armor becuase they all work the same.) and it can't work like it is supposed to. The 15 direct damage would give it brawling like options appropriate to it's heat that it lacks with the current reality. The LPL is also gimped in range now which is bad.. so the two big faster firing long range weapons are screwed on clan side and this means the main design of a slow conic mech is dead for clan until the guys making this game get their heads out of their butts and learn their own game design... This unfortunately is a server kick in the pants to the supernova as it heavily can use and potentially needs to use those weapons... Even worse for Clan overall strategy. Limits what few options there are and simplifies overall game strategy.

Edited by Arugela, 02 June 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#5 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

SNV-3 is arguably the best zombie mech in the game, with 2 hardpoints in the CT and 1 in the head. Install a standard engine and you can still dump a 33 damage alpha (3 C-ERLL's) into the enemy, while missing both arms and both side torsos.

The side torso hitboxes are massive - but that only makes them more perfect for keeping enemy fire off of your CT with even the smallest bit of torso twist. Max the armor, max the defense skill tree, and it tanks like a low-profile Atlas that can never have an ammo explosion.

SNV-1 might be great with its eight energy hardpoints in the arms, but those arms can only move 20 degrees when you disengage arm lock. I am not willing to part with the C-bills to chase that particular wild goose.

SNV-C has higher energy hardpoints in the side torsos than the SNV-1, could be useful for sniping?

SNV-B is a midpoint between the SNV-1's arms of doom & SNV-3's zombieness.

The boiler can use ballistics. With endo & FF, you could probably build a mean SRM/LBX build, with a few lasers on the side.

SNV-A is a popular LRMboat.

In all except the two supernovas that can zombie, losing both of your side torsos will leave you either dead or weaponless, depending on your choice of engine. And the size of those side torsos makes that highly probable.

The superzombienova is a great brawler and a great bullet sponge.

Edited by Falconer Sword, 17 June 2017 - 08:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users