- - - - -

Locust Ltc-Pb

27 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

I have a Locust LTC-PB what 2 other Locusts should I get so I can master them?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

1E and 3M. The small energy boats are the best LCTs, hands down. The 1V is amusing but takes a lot of work. The 3S is a stunt sort of mech. The others are absolute garbage.

#3 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

And if you aren't already familiar with them may I suggest metamechs.com for proven builds or mechspechs.com for player created builds that may or may not be viable. It is another option if the metamechs builds don't fit your play style.

#4 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

The 1V with 50% energy cooldown and a LPL is very good IMHO.
Obviously, with the new skill tree everything can change.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

View PostLMP, on 24 February 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

None. Don't get other Locusts to "Master" them.
That will be pointless with the forthcoming skill tree.
If you enjoy it, get the ones you think you can make work. But don't get additional variants to "master" it.

#6 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

I like the 1E an 3S bestest.

~Leone.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 24 February 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

None. Don't get other Locusts to "Master" them.
That will be pointless with the forthcoming skill tree.
If you enjoy it, get the ones you think you can make work. But don't get additional variants to "master" it.

Probably a good idea. The 1E and 3M are better than the PB though.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Depending on the metagame; When I finally picked up the Pirate's Bane on a sale, my only regret was that I couldn't quite re-earn my Ace of Spades with it - came up with 7 kills three times with the base loadout. These days, the battlefield has shifted, and your teammates are unlikely to put the kind of constant pressure on the enemy team that allows the Pirate's Bane to really shine. Thus, the laser poke builds are more reliable and generally more effective. /sadness

#9 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

I just started using Locusts and I started out with the -PB too. I feel like the ECM is nice and helps cover up for my inexperience, but I'm guessing that more experienced pilots don't really need it (just go fast!).

I picked up the -1V and am running it with a LPL right now, but even with the cooldown quirk it feels like the DPS is low compared to just getting close with one of the other variants that have 5-6 energy hardpoints and stripping armor off. Even backstabbing folks with a fast-firing LPL is probably much slower than something like a -1E with 6xSPL or something similar. The other thing I've noticed with using the -1V is that while it's easier to hit targets at range, sometimes I'll get lazy and repeatedly hill-hump from the same spot, or from around the same corner, and someone will end up coring me in that fraction of a second that I'm stationary. I've probably made more than a few people happy as punch that I gave them the opportunity to one-shot a Locust. Still, I like the mech, but there are times when that single weapon just doesn't seem to cut the mustard.

I also grabbed a -3M, but in retrospect I'm not sure that the extra AMS slot is worth sacrificing the 6th energy slot for (compared to the -1E I suppose). Half the time I'm scouting or grabbing caps so it isn't like I'm protecting other mechs with 2xAMS. That said, I don't regret getting it. Now, if only I was better at circling enemies at high speed and taking their legs out (especially other light mechs, like ACH or whatever), I'd be happy as a clam.

#10 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

Everyone who can use ECM is going to unless there just really is a truly compelling case not to. I don't mean the ECM variants of mechs are the only ones chosen, but rather if you are using that variant, then you are going to take ECM. The one exception I can think of is the COM-2D which is engine capped because of it for balance purposes, but seriously? How often do you see a 2D running around? It would be serviceable at the speed it has, but now the hardpoints.

That LPL build is fun, but yeah, you aren't going to be the one doing the work, you'll be more on cleanup duty. You can harass early on, but you'll find you hit the groove part way through the match when the armor has been stripped and the enemy has bigger fish to worry about. They ignore the loan locust for the kodiak on their flank and before they know it that open ST is gone and not from the kodiak.

As for AMS, I really rarely take it on a light, or any mech for that matter. Lights, though, have enough speed to outrun LRMs so if you are taking AMS, and double so if taking dual AMS, then be sure to hang out near the big guys that are sure to be targets for LRM. You don't get any xp or cbills for it, but you stand a marginally better chance of winning the match if your big boys live longer and you'll get the benefit indirectly.

#11 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I will be honest, Locusts are the most fun mech in the game, yet also the most frustrating to play, as one mistake will get you killed with it... that being said, that are fantastic mechs for getting your basic piloting skills down, skills such as map knowledge, angles of attack, path finding and general avoidance skills... So welcome to the proud few, the Locust Pilots.... we are a special kind of crazy.

Edit:

I highly recommend reading a few pages from this thread:

https://mwomercs.com...errated-locust/

Lots of Locust 101 in there.

Edited by Metus regem, 02 March 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#12 Roc Ingersol

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 57 posts
  • LocationArkansas, Terra

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

I hate Locusts. They are like the kicker in an American football team. No way should they be the leading scorer but sooo many times they lead in kills because they are way too small and quick. Two Locusts had seven kills between them in one match! Two matches in a row I got picked out by them and I wasnt even alone. Granted I did have ballistics and just two ermeds but that is still a bad way to go and it is hard for me to watch teammates get swarmed by one.

I apologize for dropping such negativity on your thread. I hope you enjoy your locusts. They just seem like troll mechs to me. Rant over.

Edited by Chuck E Finley, 02 March 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#13 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostChuck E Finley, on 02 March 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I hate Locusts. They are like the kicker in an American football team. No way should they be the leading scorer but sooo many times they lead in kills because they are way too small.

no.... not that at all... they lead in kills, because they pack decent finisher weapons. They lack the fire power to mount anything more than 5t effectively, meaning just about anything larger then they are packs more firepower, sometimes 50-100% just in the same weight class....

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

View PostChuck E Finley, on 02 March 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I hate Locusts. They are like the kicker in an American football team. No way should they be the leading scorer but sooo many times they lead in kills because they are way too small.

Yay! You've been around long enough to have prejudices. That means you've been around long enough to hear the sage advice my favorite LCT has to offer you:

Posted Image

;)

#15 Roc Ingersol

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 57 posts
  • LocationArkansas, Terra

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostTercieI, on 02 March 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Yay! You've been around long enough to have prejudices. That means you've been around long enough to hear the sage advice my favorite LCT has to offer you:

Posted Image

;)

:D

My HBK-IIC-A and B with streaks at least lets me defend myself against them. I have killed Locusts with them. The IIC (PRIME???) doesnt have enough to scare them away because ballistics miss too often. They just pick the right target when I use it and I have to eat sour grapes.

Also..... pic was funny. Gonna print it and throw darts. :P

Edited by Chuck E Finley, 02 March 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

View PostChuck E Finley, on 02 March 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Also..... pic was funny. Gonna print it and throw darts. Posted Image

Glad you took it in the spirit intended (I was pretty sure you would...) :D

#17 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

I started out with the PB, the 1V and the 3S. All three are fun, but the 1V can be challenging if you use the MGs, and the 3S is a class of risk/reward in itself.

LCT-1E is easy-mode. If you want a second variant to use while your PB is locked in a game, grab it.

I put the 2AMS on the 3M, but I find that that little extra bit of hitbox makes my shed that arm immediately--and I switched to a STD engine so I wouldn't die when the RT-mounted AMS popped too.

So, if you don't mind laser vomit and you like to win: 3M and 1E.

If you get quickly tired of same-old and like challenges: 3S and 1v

#18 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

My suggestion for Locust variants, not to (just) master them, but because they are different from each other and all very fun to pilot:

LCT-PB: 4xMLas / xl190 / Ecm
LCT-1E: 6xSPLas / xl190
LCT-1V: 1xLPLas / xl190

These builds i enjoy them the most, these are my favourite mechs of all.

Ps. Never waste tonnage on AMS on a locust ;)

Edited by B3R3ND, 02 March 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostB3R3ND, on 02 March 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

My suggestion for Locust variants, not to (just) master them, but because they are different from each other and all very fun to pilot:

LCT-PB: 4xMLas / xl190 / Ecm
LCT-1E: 6xSPLas / xl190
LCT-1V: 1xLPLas / xl190

These builds i enjoy them the most, these are my favourite mechs of all.

Ps. Never waste tonnage on AMS on a locust Posted Image

I think if you're missing the 3M with 5ML (the duration and cycle time make it superior to the 1E and hilariously superior to the PB for MLs), you're missing out on possibly the best build the chassis has to offer.

Admittedly, the 6SPL is still the most fun. Posted Image

Edited by TercieI, 02 March 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#20 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Indeed - 3M also a good option. But the efficiency of builds is less important to me, i value fun and challenging gameplay way more and the reason to suggest exactly these (the PB because he already has one).

Edited by B3R3ND, 02 March 2017 - 02:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users