Tier 1 Isnt Good Enough

70 replies to this topic

#1 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

When a player takes a slow fat heavy or assault mech through the canyon (which completly takes him out of the game for an eternity, no vision, no nothing) to blindly run to the middle of the map in assault mode, where he cannot defend his teammates from inside the canyon nor can he defend base, even though I tell him (no them, many ppl are too stupid to understand) that he needs to defend the c5 d5 push that occurs 98 % of the time, then hes not fit for T1.

Or we need higher Tiers.

Im so tired of bad noobs in my teams.

They dont understand.

They die miserably even though I tell them they will die like that.

Tier 1 is like the woods league in starcraft. Just überbad. ****, I dont expect fantastic aim or advanced mechtwisting/jumping and group strategies. But damn....if ppl dont understand the simplest of concepts and stratetgies and maps and how to play them then pls move them down at least. How can those ppl be in my Tier.

How can i be put in the same tier as those ppl.

That is insutling.

it is insulting and i deserve better. I dont deserve to be put in the same tier as those cannonfodder noobs.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:58 AM

Blame low population. If MWO was more popular, PGI could have used better MM system.

Also, play GQ instead of SQ. Less potatoes and troll builds there.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

I did notice last time I was playing that some teams don't think tactically at all. The assault lance would just walk in a straight line from spawn, others flock to them as they've learned to do in their climb to T1 godhood, then they realize they are on that one death valley area of tourmaline that is all low ground with a few small chokepoints and no way to really return fire then we get shot in the cockpit the moment we try to peek out at the 5 or so enemies at each corner while our LRM Dire Wolf kinda just sits there and our Supernova tries to climb up to a hill only to be backstabbed by a Stalker.

Basically the queues are a dice roll. Either you get stuck on the side made entirely of starch or your get stuck on the side with pros. Then you roll again to see if you will be trampled unable to carry, if you will top score but still do bad because everyone else did sub 100 damage, if you'll just do rather decent and everyone did, if you kill half the enemy team with 1000+ damage, or if your team kills the enemies before your slow mech can even get a shot lined up.

At this point I should really look into recruiting members for a team so we can all play together and have some fun or continue accepting the reality of the pug queue.

#4 Cygone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 454 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:08 AM

View Postoneda, on 25 February 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

When a player takes a slow fat heavy or assault mech through the canyon (which completly takes him out of the game for an eternity, no vision, no nothing) to blindly run to the middle of the map in assault mode, where he cannot defend his teammates from inside the canyon nor can he defend base, even though I tell him (no them, many ppl are too stupid to understand) that he needs to defend the c5 d5 push that occurs 98 % of the time, then hes not fit for T1.

Or we need higher Tiers.

They dont understand.

Tier 1 is like the woods league in starcraft. Just überbad. ****, I dont expect fantastic aim or advanced mechtwisting/jumping and group strategies. But damn....if ppl dont understand the simplest of concepts and stratetgies and maps and how to play them then pls move them down at least. How can those ppl be in my Tier.

That is insutling.

it is insulting and i deserve better. I dont deserve to be put in the same tier as those cannonfodder noobs.

^^^^^^ THIS IS SO TRUE!!!

Simply put, why is the PSR not a Zero Sum?

Why does every scrub on the winning team gain PSR?

If PGI thinks that people that do 50 dmg in ANY MECH is worth an increase in PSR (any any tier) they clearly have no clue about their own game,

#5 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostCygone, on 25 February 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

^^^^^^ THIS IS SO TRUE!!!

Simply put, why is the PSR not a Zero Sum?

Why does every scrub on the winning team gain PSR?

If PGI thinks that people that do 50 dmg in ANY MECH is worth an increase in PSR (any any tier) they clearly have no clue about their own game,

Experience Bar is an Experience Bar.... we need higher levels to escape them, then when they catch back up just keep adding new levels

#6 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:35 AM

Or we need higher Tiers.

They dont understand.

That is insutling.

I find the hiding assaults and heavies aggravating. They do not move whatever the cost.

Like last time... 2 assaults didn't move - at all on - Grim Plexus. We told them to follow wus because the battle moved away from the them and it takes ages for an assault to get a good angle on the fight again. Then it happened 2 lights and a medium appeared in their back and ripped them a new one. Guess who was to blame? The sucky team but not their cowardly fat arses

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 25 February 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Experience Bar is an Experience Bar.... we need higher levels to escape them, then when they catch back up just keep adding new levels

That's no solution. Look, I am T1. I do not consider myself T1. Yet, my bar is nearly maxed. You would have to add level after level for all eternity to keep peeps spread out

Edited by Bush Hopper, 25 February 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#7 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:58 AM

The PSR is a match score grind bar, and the largest chunks of match score come from high damage output. But high damage alone doesn't actually win matches if its spread across the enemy mechs ineffectively. We've all seen end-match results where they'll be a player with say an assault LRM boat who got 800 or more damage... but no actual killing blows. If the team won there might be a lot of kill assists, and if the team lost, probably only a few assists. In both cases that LRM boat player was dependent on someone else actually administering the killing blow to something he or she damaged. Smart LRM boat players will keep firing at ONE target only until it dies and then move onto the next target. Average ones will just fire at every lock that comes along and keep shifting fire thinking its solely their job to keep the entire enemy team suppressed. Same goes for the players who might have direct fire builds, but never use the R key, so they just keep spraying the enemy with AC rounds or splashing energy weapons over them, hoping they score a kill or do damage to vital components. Actually killing the enemy with as little weapons fire as possible is the REAL goal to strive for. Unfortunately the PSR bar rewards the high damage so much that inevitably tier 1 fills up with people who really still don't know anything other than how to score damage.

Players who have hunted live prey for real though, know that flanking and positioning are far more important and that delivering just the right amount of damage to the right location to kill your prey quick and easy is far more important than wounding it and have it get away where it might then hurt someone else in your group. Those are the ones you have to watch out for in these sorts of video games. I have hunted live prey, including the kind that shoots back, and am a big believer in flanking when the opportunity presents itself to do so. I also won't just mindlessly follow the sheep herds to known death traps on maps (such as the aforementioned one on Tourmaline) and would rather go off on my own, even in an assault mech, than find myself trapped with a herd about to be culled. Sometimes I will point out over chat/voip that they're going to the slaughter zone but most games now I've reached a level of saltiness where I no longer care what happens to them.

This morning I had a game with my SNV-1(S) on Grim in assault mode, where 11 of the team nascared right... and then stalled when they found the entire enemy team nascared left... and I had upon drop immediately flanked left to the H & I line on my own (as that is where I expected the enemy team to have gone towards as 95% of the player pool nascars right every time upon drop). I was thus a little surprised when I didn't even encounter some right flanking scouts from the enemy. When I got to a spot basically parallel to the enemy cap I zoomed viewed over and realized they were trying a base defence and were all facing the rest of my team hiding behind buildings by our cap. I can only assume someone saw someone else... shot a PPC or something past the other, and then all 23 of them went to camping cowards poke mode.

Nobody on my team was using the R key if they were actually engaging at all from the lack of symbols on my HUD and I was out of range to do any locking myself, but I was in range to solo kill a raptor that was standing still using a TAG laser on something by firing 6 C-ERLL's in quick paired succession into his right torso from about 1200 meters away (hooray for XL engines). That was the only kill for our team at that point, and shortly thereafter two of the eleven on our team flanked themselves around to where I was (I presume when the kill happened they looked at the battlegrid and saw where I was and both thought to themselves..."Oh why didn't we go that way also"), and the three of us proceeded to clean up half the enemy team from their sides and back before they knew what had happened. And the whole game, no voip/chat traffic at all happened from anyone on our team other than myself giving position reports of where the enemy was and which ones were being killed by our little 3 person fire group. Only when the three of us had totalled seven of the enemy (and they'd only gotten two of our nine campers) did the other remaining seven get brave enough to breakout from behind cover.

I wish every game could go something like that... but matchmaker is rarely so kind to me. At least PGI keeps selling me nice mechs though. Posted Image

Edited by Dee Eight, 25 February 2017 - 02:03 AM.

#8 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:01 AM

Problem is that PSR is based on score and score is mainly based on damage and not even considering the tonnage you bring or the weight class.

Therefore, I suspect many Assault players are in higher tiers than they should be.You can rocket-catapult you with playing a LRM assault in the lower tiers into at least Tier 2.

There should be at least some sort of factor:

- light mech: 1,5x score
- meds: 1,25 x score
- heavies: 1 x score
- assault 0,75 x score

And for each weight class you should get your own tier rating

Next thing is, that PSR is too inflexible. It raises and falls to slow. PSR should be determined on the actual average score done in the current season in relation to all players!

Example: I'm currently on place 491 in season 8 with mediums based on avg match score. Now you need either define that tier 1 is e.g. all people with ranking 1 to 300. Tier 2 is 301 to 900. Tier 3 is 901 to 1800 ... and so on. Or you define a range based on the average score.

PGI has already all the stats they need shown on the leaderboards. It would be quite easy to implement a good PSR system.

Edited by xe N on, 25 February 2017 - 02:24 AM.

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:08 AM

I took my EXE out for the 1st time in a long time

went off chasing a rabbit ACH I also wanted to see how I did one on one since I also had streaks mounted

one guy told not to do it I knew not to do it

well potato's will potato

I died in a shocking few seconds

good thing I am not tier 1

#10 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:20 AM

PSR means nothing.
PLAYER SKILL RATING...with no word mentiones W/L. It's nothing than a XP bar. People even rise in tiers without doing anything but getting carried.

Basing PSR on matchscore is flawed too, because if you play in a big, coordinated group, you will have a much easier time getting good scores. But at least it would be better than taking W/L into account.

What I hate most about matchmaking is that, no matter if you play SQ or GQ, it almost forces you to play "good" mechs if you want to win.
Because most of the time you will drop with a lance full of green potatoes who won't follow the team, can't aim, don't notice when they get flanked and killed from behind and such stuff.
I don't mean to bash these players, because everyone makes foolish and dumb decisions. But many of these players clearly don't belong anywhere near T1.
It ruins their fun and the fun of their teammembers who have to carry.

I'm tired of seeing numerous mechs with less than 50dmg at the end of a match.
And I want to play my underdogs without feeling guilty for just carrying my own weight.

#11 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:26 AM

The Problem with PGIs PSR is, skill ratings are updated absolutely and not relatively, compared to the current environment a player is performing. Thus the player skill ratings are not distributed equally. They rather saturate at the higher and lower end. Eventually almost every player ends up in Tier 1. Even me after roughly 6 weeks of playing 5 days a weeks an assortment of more or less effective medium/heavy chassis and load-outs.

The whole problem "player ratings/matchmaking in multiplayer-online-gaming-environments" is well-known and researched. Somehow PGI was able to screw it up anyway. Posted Image

http://www.ets.org/M...df/RM-15-03.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/TrueSkill
https://en.wikipedia...o_rating_system

#12 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

T1 needs to be split for sure. Players like PrnNspz are absolutely lethal. Players like that are the true T1 grade imo. I should be in T2 but probably T3 IMO.

Perhaps the boundaries of the tiers need to be enlarged now the settlement has taken place since this XP bar was started.

#13 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

Tell me....do Tier 1 players actually use the R key ? Do i have a dream to look forwards to ?

#14 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:20 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 25 February 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

Tell me....do Tier 1 players actually use the R key ? Do i have a dream to look forwards to ?

Why should they? To give useless LRM boats locks?

#15 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 25 February 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

Can't your LRM assault get its locks on his own? Oh, my mistake. You are sitting behind a rock while your team tanks. No way you can get a lock that way. Sorry

#16 Rizzwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:40 AM

Your mistake is thinking of the tier system as a skill bar. It's not it's an xp bar. Anyone with enough time is going to make T-1. It's 100% based of 11 other guys winning and not your own skill. I know lots of players that are T-1 that basically LRMed their way up the system.

#17 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:45 AM

Or we need higher Tiers.

They dont understand.

That is insutling.

Who the hell are you to TELL anyone what to do ? People like you are the self appointed generals that push people away from playing. You have no control over what your team does unless you form your own 12 man. Stop acting like everyone MUST follow in a pub queue. You will be a much happier person if you realize that you have 0 control over other people in a public game.

PS: Personally i agree it was a dumb move .. but again you have no right to enforce your will on someone else.

#18 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 25 February 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

Who the hell are you to TELL anyone what to do ? People like you are the self appointed generals that push people away from playing. You have no control over what your team does unless you form your own 12 man. Stop acting like everyone MUST follow in a pub queue. You will be a much happier person if you realize that you have 0 control over other people in a public game.

PS: Personally i agree it was a dumb move .. but again you have no right to enforce your will on someone else.

You are right and wrong. There are some obviously dumb moves someone who reaches tier 3 shouldn't do anymore because he knows the maps - especially when he gets warned on top of that. For other occasions, I agree with you

#19 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

Hey look, a baddie who only uses 700m+ ranged weapons and hides the entire match accuses brawlers on his team for using cover to approach the enemy instead of being his stupid meatshields ...

Nothing to see here. [/trollthread]

#20 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:23 AM

Prob 100th topic on the subject. PGI doesn't care.

It is better to stop the push from the center of the map because that makes friendly team on the high ground with alot of cover and the base pushing enemy sitting ducks in the canyon. No point running into a deathball without advantages. Of course what do I know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users