- - - - -

Good Is Mechs For Scout Mode.

19 replies to this topic

#1 HiAndromon

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:01 AM

Any good IS mech that can rival the clans on this mode?

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:47 AM

griffin 3m, 2n missiles with JJ's

centurion AH missiles+ac20

hunchback 4SP, 4G Missiles+lasers, or ac20+lasers

cicada 3L, 3m energy with JJ's or Ecm

#3 Hank Wildcarde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

I haven't played scouting for a while, but when I did I absolutely loved using the Cicada 2A with 6MLs, XL340 and 5 extra DHS - it's fast enough for capping and it doesn't half pack a punch!

I also loved the Ice Ferret D with 5 SPLs on the Clan side scouting with the same philosophy - high speed and hard hitting.

IMO speed is often underestimated in scouting - you don't know if you're defending or attacking, and trying to defend in something slow is painful...

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

While I haven't taken them out to faction play yet I suspect the Bushwacker would be pretty potent, especially the BSW-P1 (6 missile hardpoints). I figure something like this BSW-P1 and its 66 point alpha strike would be potent, though if I dropped in a scouting mission I'd probably go with something like this BSW-P1 to sacrifice a bit of initial punch for a bit of speed and durability.

If you're wondering about the SRM2s it's because when you have SRM4s or 6s in the top hardpoint you get two large boxes for the enemy to aim at, but if you put SRM2s or SSRM2s there it's a much thinner box that's harder to hit.

#5 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Crab-27B, Hunchback-4SP, Griffin-2N, Kintaro-18 or Bushwacker

#6 HiAndromon

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

How about the hunchie 4p is it any good? I was thinking std270 87kmh with 6 mpl and 2 spl.

#7 ManiacMachine84

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

I enjoyed the Swayback (4P) in more organized games where I could play second line and precision slice off components. In scouting matches you run risks because it is super hot (chain firing helps, but then you lose out on the alpha damage which is what is needed to slice a leg off quickly *shrugs* personal choices) and most of your firepower is locating in an easy to hit/hard to shield torse that screams "shoot meh pleez".

For scouting matches, it is based on my mood for the day. I choose by tipping my balance between either "I wanna be fast" or "I wanna hit hard". My mech choices are different as I gravitate mainly towards Clan mechs. So I will tell you from the other side, I have had hard times from good pilots in Hunchies/Griffs as far as hard hitters and Cicadas/Jenners as far as being fast (and hitting hard-ish). I would only recommend the Spider/Locust to more experienced speed pilots as they are more challenging to pilot but pay off huge dividends if you can pull off the ninja bs I see some of those pilots do.

Lastly, try the trials out to get a feel for the speed, handling and firepower of something that atleast matches the Chassis/Engine that you are looking at. I know that they are not the most optimized; however, it will give you some kind of starting point from which you can start your developing your strategies and builds from.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

For scouting, it's important to distinguish between "good" and "works against bad builds." I've seen people bring fracking LRMs to a scouting match, then insist that the problem was their teammates.

Scouting plays out in two ways: hide and seek, or move to contact. For hide and seek, you need a Light/Medium with very high speed (150kph+) in order to cap points while avoiding the enemy's Mediums. Find the enemy and try to wolfpack one while they're split, then break off to cap if the fight isn't advantageous. For movement to contact, you want Mediums with at least 80-90kph speed (not slower) and proper brawling weapons. Use your words and for the love of Blake, focus fire. Your goal is to grab as many intel nodes as you can without getting caught scattered - you'll get a feel for where the enemy can be as you play the maps - then kill the enemy as efficiently as possible. You must be willing to accept damage, and know how to spread damage and aim.

For a Scout mode Medium, you need maximized, heat-efficient firepower, with a focus on frontloaded punch. That means Autocannons and SRMs for the Inner Sphere. Pick a 'mech that can mount those with a fair amount of speed (80kph at a minimum) - and with the hardpoints preferably close together - and you'll be able to hold your own. Don't bring LRMs, sniping builds, or builds that are slow - you're a liability in any of those instances.

For Lights, you should be fast, and set up to fight other Lights - do not bring a ER Laserchicken Raven and expect your team to like you. Ditto for a Panther, Urbanmech, or whatever. Sorta-fast doesn't cut it, because their Mediums will be sorta-fast, too. Be willing to fight, and aggressive on the attack, but don't try to fight a group of Mediums that are set up for Scouting: they will rip you a new smile and shove dirt down the hole.

Again, in both instances you must be willing to communicate. The command wheel is, well, rather useless, and the price of a microphone headset is miniscule compared to the cost of the computer you're using to actually run the game. Be willing and able to communicate, and be brief - don't gabble over comms, particularly once the enemy has been spotted.

That should give you the relevant basics for which mechs to select for Scouting mode, and how to equip them. Good luck!

#9 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:16 AM

Shadow Hawk 2D2 and a Pirates' bane. All you will ever need.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

Griffin 2n is great for scouting, it has the guns split between both sides so the enemies won't just focus one side and blow it off like with the 3m. It also comes with ECM option to mess with anyone using streaks and to help cover your advance. Be sure to bring a standard engine, 275 rating works good with it.

The Crab with 6 energy hardpoints also works well with 6 medium pulse lasers if you want a laser based mech. It can bring a standard 250 and 6 MPLs and be extremely tanky against SRMs and lasers while being able to put out respectable damage even after both side torsos get blown off.

Cicadas are good for medium pulse laser boating on a fast but fragile mech if you'd rather rely on speed rather than pure power. They can also run with 3 ERLL for long ranged builds.

For lights Spiders work well for their high tanking ability, there is little more than a spider that will tank well against enemies. Its hitboxes are simply amazing. One could put a standard engine in one to capitalize on the tanking, but it spreads damage well enough for XLs.

Centurions with 3 missile hardpoints work well also. You can bring a standard 250 engine and 3 ASRM6 with a couple medium lasers or small pulse lasers in the center torso and attempt to spread damage to your empty side similarly to how a Griffin 3M would do. I prefer the Griffin 2N for SRM boating however, but I had a free Centurion from a giveaway sitting around with a cbill bonus and intended to use it.

I hear good things about Shadow Hawks but don't own one myself.

#11 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

One of my Spiders runs 4 Medium Lasers with enough sinks to keep it reasonable. Standard engine which gives good speed for a light. In my opinion, it's great for scouting if used correctly, but I feel the 4 Mediums are only good for stand off and defense and not for brawling.
I think if I use this more often, I'd use it to gather intel then avoid any combat and head for the extraction zone which it's speed would work well here. Others may feel differently and that's ok as we all have a different method and style.

I hope more chime in as I find this topic interesting Posted Image

Edited by Christophe Ivanov, 26 February 2017 - 06:39 AM.

#12 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

I almost exclusively use my cicada 2B (5MPLAS), though I will occasionally run the faster 2A (6mediums) on larger maps (Polar), and the X5 (2xSRM4, 4MLAS) on hot maps.

I've posted a number of 4 kill 4 KMDD games with the 2B beast. Cicadas make great scouts due to a combination of speed and decent punch. Generally fast enough to outrun clan mediums and pull out an intel win whereas the heavier mechs like the Griffin, HBK and Cent need to -win- the brawl. That being said - wolfpacking with fast, hard hitting mediums does in fact work very well and all of those builds mentioned above can do that.

Spiders and locusts can also work well if you're gonna go for an intel gather win, but you can get in a painful situiation if you run against SSRM boating clan mediums.

Edited by Cato Phoenix, 26 February 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#13 HiAndromon

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

I picked a 4p, for some reason i coudn't pick another, the hunchie is so cool... thanks to all your answers, after some time i will buy a griffin 2n

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

In my opinion there is no point running standard engines. The prevailing tactic is to target legs for both factions. The survivablity of the upper torso is irrelevant.

There was a brief window were streaks were commonly boated, so there was an occasional use but no longer. The low 275 engine caps of the slow fifty tonners just doesn't cut against the previous Stomcrow packs and now Ice Ferrets.

You can outmanuveur Novas, but they should be legging you as well so the point still stands.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 26 February 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

One of my Spiders runs 4 Medium Lasers

do you mean 3 medium lasers?
Unless they have introduced a 5th varient of my favorate chassis without me noticing, the 5D has the most energy hardpoints of any Spider at 3 and also has the ECM.
I use the 5D with ether 2 ML + 1 ERLL or with 3 MPL depending on the teams goals, if I am playing solo I find the 5K or 5V much more fun

I do agree that the Spider can be great for scouting, Mechs I have used sucessfully include
Spider, Firestarter and Griffin for IS
Arctic Cheetah, Jenner IIC, Viper and Shadow Cat for Clans, but I have not realy played scouting enough to make a firm decision as to what works best for me

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

View PostHiAndromon, on 26 February 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

I picked a 4p, for some reason i coudn't pick another, the hunchie is so cool... thanks to all your answers, after some time i will buy a griffin 2n

Hunchbacks are fun - though you should have gone with the 4G - and should allow you to get your feet wet successfully. However, Medium laser boats are generally disadvised in scouting because their damage isn't heat efficient. The team who can sustain heavy combat the best - and place the most damage on target - is going to win a Scouting brawl, and that's what you're looking for.

#17 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:39 AM

View PostHiAndromon, on 25 February 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

How about the hunchie 4p is it any good? I was thinking std270 87kmh with 6 mpl and 2 spl.

Nah its no good on hot maps like caustic, just stick with the SP.

#18 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 26 February 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

In my opinion there is no point running standard engines. The prevailing tactic is to target legs for both factions. The survivablity of the upper torso is irrelevant.

There was a brief window were streaks were commonly boated, so there was an occasional use but no longer. The low 275 engine caps of the slow fifty tonners just doesn't cut against the previous Stomcrow packs and now Ice Ferrets.

You can outmanuveur Novas, but they should be legging you as well so the point still stands.

Most fights I see in scouting only the IS legs enemies, and usually just back when the Stormcrow was around since its hitboxes made SRMs spread pretty well but its legs were huge.

When I'm Clan I know I'm always going for torsos against IS to XL check or at least remove half or more firepower.

#19 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Would the Arctic Cheetah make a good mech for scout mode?

#20 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostLMP, on 27 February 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

Would the Arctic Cheetah make a good mech for scout mode?

Its a rather good light mech in general, but in scouting you might as well use your extra tonnage and get an Ice Ferret. You lose the ECM, but ECM isn't worth as much in scouting because of the lower amount of players, lack of LRMs, and requirement to close with the enemy in most circumstances.

Ice Ferret moves the same speed, has more armor, more structure, better cooling, and can bring the same 5 SPL build as the ACH.

ACH: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e7b62d93bf3fa1
IFR: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1f86f4afb13b7e3

Ferret has about 50% more durability before we even account for quirks and better cooling. I'd opt for the IFR if I want a fast scouting mech. The Jenner IICs and ACH are workable, but its riskier due to their low armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users