7 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

Edited by _____, 07 September 2021 - 10:59 PM.

#2 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Ah, nice!
So the review is to come in part 2, and here you only present your builds, right?

Don’t forget mentioning the upcoming change to engines (making dynamics a chassis characteristic independent of engine size) making small engines and caps more viable.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Part 2 is up. To answer your question Kuaron, the review is both the strength & weaknesses as well as its ranking among clan assaults so it's kinda split between the 2 vids. The strengths and weaknesses gives you some context as to why I chose these builds and then from the builds, you can hopefully see why it ranks where it is.

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:16 AM

I've found that the Supernova is best used as a mid to long range mech. It's just too slow and cumbersome to brawl with.

#5 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Nice review BlackhawkSC

Ah, now have a chance to write a bit more!!

Really enjoyed the vids.
Razerhawk also put up a good post in another thread that is worth reading.

Personally I have never done too well with the Assaults but I have made a point of working the Supernova through until they were mastered instead of simply buying the skills. (Did that for the Kodiak and I really don't like that mech because I never took the time to learn it's nuances)

I'm a big fan of the Nova and was never going to invest into the Supernova but eventually caved and got the special pack.

One of the great things with the game is mucking about with the builds, trying out different things and finding a build that feels right for you. I always try to drop a few times and even try to get the basic skills using the default setup of the mech.

So with the SNV-1 it's about the ER lasers. Starting with those 6 ER Large Lasers does give a good long range hit but as you mentioned the burn time is lengthy even with the duration bonus on this variant.
I tried mixing ER Mediums and Large Pulse Lasers and that worked quite well. Very hot though and it is difficult to manage the heat vs damage output. I have found my happy spot using only ER Medium Lasers. However, what is more interesting than that, because I had two SNV-1s I thought I'd experiment and so far I believe that I can get better results using Single Heat sinks with this mech. Testing to continue........

The SNV-3 has the PPC velocity bonuses so the inclination was to make use of that and eventually (after trying various laser builds and configurations) I have settles with 3 ER PPCs on this mech. Topped up with Double Heat Sinks the heat management is quite good and you can, using chain fire, keep up a steady rate of fire with the PPCs before you inevitably overheat. But as a long range support mech, I have really enjoyed using this build.

The SNV-A I really struggled with. Tried the all LRM build but felt it a little unsatisfying and maybe too similar to some of my others. Tried SRMs but the mech turns so slowly it wasn't practical and really didn't feel like it hit as hard as you needed it to once you were stuck at that range. Also tried 4 Streak SRMS and some Large Pulse lasers. That was quite interesting and gave some options. Very hot though. In the end I am finding a hybrid build to be working quite well for me. LRMs, Streak SRMs and some ER Mediums. Because it has that flexibility to fight at multiple ranges it's quite versatile. May not hit as hard as a more dedicated mech but I've found some good success with this mixed loadout and quite enjoyed using it.

Anyway, all the best, see you on the battlefield!

Edited by 50 50, 09 March 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#6 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

Thanks BlackhawkSC.

I enjoy your comprehensive guides.

#7 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:54 AM

Sorry for digging up an old thread but which is the better energy boat.

The SNV-1 or the SNV-C?
SNV-1 is abit more sturdy but weapons are in arms and the ER quirk.

The SNV-C has no quirks but has 4 weapon slots in the chest at a higher height...

Cannot decide which to buy.

#8 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

It's up to you whether you expect to have your arms blown off more often, or not. Most people in my experience target side torsos to negate that question.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 08 August 2017 - 06:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users