Viper, Huntsmen, Phoenix, Adder, Crab

7 replies to this topic

#1 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

I am a Medmech pilot, Hunchy, Griffin, BJ, Ice Ferret (Love), Enforcer.
I have piloted these and love them, I am fairly proficient with them too, thank Chimera.

I am now looking for my next new mech.

The Viper, Huntsmen, Phoenix, Adder, Crab are the candidates anyone have anything to say about them?

I am looking for a mix of the Ice Ferret's maneuverability and speed with the Hunchy fire power.

I love the way the Huntsmen and Phoenix Hawk look but they seem a little sketchy with the armor and firepower.

I was just about to get the Viper tonight but I had to ask first.
tnx

#2 Mechaholics Anonymous

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMechsico, Amechrica, JahMecha, Mechssachusetts, New BrunsMech, Mechxas, Mechtropolis, A..MARIKa

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

You won't be dissapointed with the Viper.

#3 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

if you go viper you might just as well go for a cicada also. You get the moves but not the firepower...

Stormcrow?

Edited by B3R3ND, 27 February 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#4 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

Adder? Well thats a light an not the speed of Ice Ferret.

Viper - So far I like got good mix of weapon points. With a group it brings alot of Firepower. Alone it seems to be lacking something others mention this too, seems best in hit and run. Good Choice for you from sounds of it. Also all hunched over smaller target.

Huntsman - Dont own but been a solid mech from hat I see good mix of weapon points but a touch slow sort of (under 100) Only thing I have against is Humanoid shape gives alot to shoot at,

Phoenix - Again don't own but still seems pretty good. Though humanoid in shape rather tough seems to be able to soak up alot of damage before going down. 2 varients with ECM is nice ood mix of B and E weaponry slots. Sorta disappointing no missile slots other then hero cuz SRM's are great for smaller mechs. Can get a verygood speed with right engines.

Adder - Well its a light for one, nothing blazing but with tweak reach almost 100 can mount some very nice weapon loads. One of the first clan mechs I elited when first came out ended up being a very solid mech. Base without playing with Armor got 16.5 tons of weapon space thats dang good for such a light mech

Crab - About the most bring for weaponry LASER LASER LASER oh do you like laser. But even with STD engine decent loadout still in the 80-90's for speed and wow can this mech take a beating. It zombies like no other, I originally was going to skip it the crab it seemed so boring, but then I tried out the trial version a few times. WOW talk about Diamond in the rough, even with modest weaponry this mech continues to surprise me. Recommend for sure when your poor and need something to play with.

Someone mentioned earlier but Cicada also a good choice. I was most impressed rolling mine to elite eats lights alive and can serve up humble pie to most other mechs. Just keep it moving fast.

Edited by Mad Ox, 27 February 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#5 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'm not really a humanoid mech fan either, favorite mech look of all time for me is the Chimera( it's a MW4 Vengeance mech ).

Huntsmen and Phoenix I have seen out there and they look challenging but I have also killed a few with relative ease in my Ice Ferret, BJ and Fire Starter. Besides the loadouts are not that convincing too me.

The Crab totally impressed me so much that I didn't believe it and so I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 3 Pulse lasers was super fun!.

I have piloted the Cicada and had miserable results with it. I am not sure why, Maybe because my legs get shot out constantly. or it seems to be a mech people focus on.

The Adder just seems to be so like a ghost. In MW4 I was a huge fan of the Puma and piloted it all the time. So maybe I need to get 2 mechs the adder being one of them.

Right now I am leaning to the Viper or Crab and get an Adder to try a new light, like what you said about it.

Posted Image This is a Chimera!!!

Edited by FEK315, 28 February 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostFEK315, on 26 February 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

The Viper, Huntsmen, Phoenix, Adder, Crab are the candidates anyone have anything to say about them?

I too am a solid medium mech pilot, and I've fallen for the Huntsmen for Clan and the Crab for IS.

Overall, if you are looking for something to play like the Ice Ferret, the Viper will be a good fit. It's fast and has jump as well.

Out of the mechs you've mentioned though, I own the Huntsmen, Crab and Adder. So I'll give my opinions on all these mechs, and all of them are good mechs.

Huntsmen is a solid mech. Lots of pod space, but limited crit slots to use. So you can't exactly boat S/M lasers as you'll have tonnage left over. You'll need a couple of heavier components to mix with lighter ones, such as a TC or an AC of some kind. With that in mind, it's agile, nimble and has good responsiveness. It isn't "superfast", but 81 KPH is very reasonable. A lot like the Nova to be honest, so use your JJs to your advantage.

Crab is another solid mech. Can be rather tanky with it's larger side torsos with a Std engine, but the hit boxes are forgiving enough that you can take an XL if you feel you must without missing out on much. Their all laser configuration can be a little limiting, but it can get to reasonably fast speeds and still have a good punch. The 20 is the fastest, and the 27SL has jump. You'll probably love the 20, as it can go well over 100 KPH and run just a little slower than a light mech. The others may be slower than what you are use to, but are very reasonable choices still.

Adders are a light mech that can't be treated as a light mech. They are actually the lightest medium mech in the game, or so they want to treated as such. As long as you treat it as a medium mech, it should perform well. Has reasonable pod space, so it can fill in some rather heavy weapons onto it's frame. Has a good mix of any hard point you may wish, be it energy, ballistic or even missile. It can honestly do it all. My current favorite is a dual UAC2 and 3 ERSL build. Can spam shots at nearly any range for days (not actual days... but for a rather lengthy time).

Now, what I've heard about the other mechs is that the Viper is a solid performer, being fast and nimble with reasonable payloads. It has jump and will act a lot like the Cicada as well as the Ice Ferret. The Phoenix Hawk I've been told has reasonable hit boxes and can pack a good punch with good speeds and with jump. Beyond that, I don't know much about the Phoenix sadly... Not a mech that overly interests me. But, I suspect it probably would be a mech you very much would enjoy.

Sorry if I can't be more helpful than that...

#7 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

I bought a Crab last night, I only got 2 matches in but it is a tank!!! :-)
It seems like it is going to be AWESOME!

#8 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

More I play my crabs the more I love them they are little beasts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users