Can Someone Explain The Sudden Increase In Locust?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Why so many locust all of a sudden? Almost every game I'm in has 2 locust on my team and 2 on the opposite team. Did they receive some sort of buff that I'm unaware of? Or has the meta shifted in such a way that make the Locust a good choice?

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostClanner Scum, on 27 February 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Why so many locust all of a sudden? Almost every game I'm in has 2 locust on my team and 2 on the opposite team. Did they receive some sort of buff that I'm unaware of? Or has the meta shifted in such a way that make the Locust a good choice?

In the resizing, the Locust was one of the few mechs that got smaller, by getting smaller it got harder to hit by the people that can't aim, thus making it more appealing to those not wanting to get hit... Some of us always knew she was a good fun ride, the rest of MWO is just catching up to that...

#3 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

They didn't do volume-metric resizing, they did it by front/side profile resizing, which means that if the locust is 20 tons by volume, the atlas is >200 tons.

#4 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Its ridiculously hard to bring down when moving.

Add on small but decent weapon layouts. That are still very capable of coring mechs from the rear which with their maneuverability they can get to easily.

OH then the cheapest HERO in game which also comes with ECM AKA Pirates Bane people finally cluing in to how evil they can be.

#5 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

Nothing was really changed that could explain a possible increase in fielded Locusts. I think reasons to opt for a locust could be the high skill ceiling, the high risk - high reward characteristic, all in all a very challenging but very fun chassis to pilot.

#6 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

The lowering of group tonnage limits. Usually every group over 4 or 5 mechs run a locust so two people can run heavies/assault.

#7 Gazbeard

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPSR Tier 6

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I think it's more basic than any of you realise.

A few weeks ago there was a sale of certain mechs - the Locust was amongst them, and a couple of them were on offer at under 1 million c-bills.

That was the only reason I bought one. Posted Image

#8 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Don't worry about it.. nothing to see here move along....

It's just me you see in games I apeer as 2, because of how fast I go lol

#9 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Because the first seven plagues already came?

#10 ZeuZ_LoD

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yea tons of turdboats now that are keyboard turners which makes easy prey.

Edited by ZeuZ_LoD, 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#11 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostZeuZ_LoD, on 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yea tons of turdboats now that are keyboard turners which makes easy prey.

Im not sure wth thats suppose to mean... But if your referring to the PB locust as being easy to pilot.. I think your a little mistaken

The locust is not for everyone.. There is only a hand full of us full time bane pilots.. But if your some how referring the the locust as a glitched mech or a hack or easy to kill someone.. i think you really need to recheck your Idea of what skill is, in this game,

On the good note, the general public has a way of crying there way to change things in this game... so sooner or later the locust will be worthless again, and you guys will be back to missle boating or laser builds....

:)

Dont worry it wont last for ever...

#12 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 04 March 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Im not sure wth thats suppose to mean... But if your referring to the PB locust as being easy to pilot.. I think your a little mistaken

I'm pretty sure he meant that there are a ton of players without the skills to pilot them well.

#13 ZeuZ_LoD

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 04 March 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

The locust is not for everyone.. There is only a hand full of us full time bane pilots.. But if your some how referring the the locust as a glitched mech or a hack or easy to kill someone.. i think you really need to recheck your Idea of what skill is, in this game,

On the good note, the general public has a way of crying there way to change things in this game... so sooner or later the locust will be worthless again, and you guys will be back to missle boating or laser builds....

Posted Image

Dont worry it wont last for ever...

The meaning was the opposite. I've some very skilled Locust players just weaving in an out of mechs straight toying them it wasn't even funny. I think as a Locust once you recognize which mechs are prey and which mechs to avoid then you are golden. I crack up when I see one just run circles around an assault that cant turn fast enough just to get nibbled down lol.

#14 JENNER llC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

think it is just simply because locusts are fun to play

even with a terribad pug teammates you can still have fun in a locust even on a loss, combined with the cheap cost

#15 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

The Locust was gaining in popularity before the re-scale, the Locust, Commando and Spider's popularity only grew after the re-scale made them the smallest targets in the game. One of the intended results of the re-scale.

#16 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Like i said im a full time pirate's bane pilot... Some of you have seen me rack 600+ damage and 3 or 4 kills...

thats a normal round for me..

I do toy with people... theirs a fine line on what your doing, sometimes im just a ninja assassin, some times im a decoy, sometimes im a information transmitting device
sometimes i run thru the hostile team, put a uav over the middle of them..
sometimes people look at you, and see you for such a short amount of time that they dont know if your friendly or not (bad pilots)
sometimes your spotted and the whole team turns to face you.. (safest move red team)

there are times when i kill all of charlie lance, there are also time when all of alpha lance is chasing me

The locust rely on its accel and decel rate buff, its small size, and its ability to run over/up/and down things that other mechs can not traverse over

they are fun to play... and even with teams that don't communicate or are all prebuilt.. i can still go out there take out at least one and get a few hundred damage

the very first thing i do when i start is ID who has a mic, and what they are piloting... so at least i have a idea what im talking to ... Some people are like shut up... stop talking... just mute them... communication is thee most important part in this game.. and taking time to type **** out is a loosing tactic

#17 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

If you take into account a few rounds where the locust pilot gets unluckily one-shotted at the first encounter... that drastically lowers the averages... these things happen, just as the occasional round where you put out more then 1k damage and 6+ kills.
If you exclude these extremes its very likely that my fellow locust pilot is seeing these kind of figures regularly - which in that case i would call normal rounds.

Edited by B3R3ND, 06 March 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#18 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 06:59 AM, said:

If you take into account a few rounds where the locust pilot gets unluckily one-shotted at the first encounter... that drastically lowers the averages... these things happen, just as the occasional round where you put out more then 1k damage and 6+ kills.
If you exclude these extremes its very likely that my fellow locust pilot is seeing these kind of figures regularly - which in that case i would call normal rounds.

That's being selective, aka 'cherry-picking', to make oneself look better.

I hit around 300 average match score in my Locusts, with an average damage/battle of about 450, and 600+ damage battles are not 'normal' for me.

Edited by Zergling, 06 March 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#19 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Alright perhaps my definition of "normal" does not align with yours. I have pretty much similar averages as yours for my locusti, but i often see 600+ damage games. I've seen higher, also a lot lower... but when i get that kind of results it doesn't seem special to me anymore - thats why i consider these normal. I guess that works similar for Burning2nd as well...

Anyway, i guess you often pilot a locust, so you also know its a bit of an extreme mech. You can rack up impressive numbers but you can go down just as easy without any damage at all...

#20 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Alright perhaps my definition of "normal" does not align with yours. I have pretty much similar averages as yours for my locusti, but i often see 600+ damage games. I've seen higher, also a lot lower... but when i get that kind of results it doesn't seem special to me anymore - thats why i consider these normal. I guess that works similar for Burning2nd as well...

Anyway, i guess you often pilot a locust, so you also know its a bit of an extreme mech. You can rack up impressive numbers but you can go down just as easy without any damage at all...

While the words 'normal' and 'average' don't have exactly the same meaning, in the context of this discussion they are interchangeable.

I hit 600+ with reasonable frequency, but it isn't every game (probably not even 1 in 2 battles), so I wouldn't call that 'normal', as it'd be biased selection to discard the results of the other battles and pretend they don't happen; that is what people people do when they want to make themselves appear to be better than they actually are.

Edited by Zergling, 06 March 2017 - 07:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users