- - - - -

An Annoying Way To Die - Kb/mouse Unresponsive.

10 replies to this topic

#1 TransitTrucker

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

I wonder if anyone is suffering the same symptom?

I have a reasonably high-end desktop: i7-4790K, GTX 970 graphics card, SSD, Gigabyte Z97x-Gaming 5. I use a usb keyboard and mouse ( Thermaltake Ttesports). Screen is a Samsung 1080p x 1920x60 hz native resolution.

I run the Strix gaming booster to stop unwanted/unnescessary processes and optimise for running MWO.

When I am being absolutely hammered in a tight firball and taking large amounts of incoming fire my keyboard movement keys and mouse fire-buttons stop responding in real-time. The innevitable happens because I can't move and can't shoot back. My player goes into slow-motion whilst I am getting pounded!

I am getting help from Piranha games but they don't have any magic and haven't been innundated with the same issue.

I wonder if anyone else gets this really annoying symptom? Does anyone have a fix?

NB I have tried lowering the graphics options to rock-bottom but that doesn't seem to help. I am getting about 70-80 FPS in-game which drops to about 60 when getting hammered by incoming.

Thanks in advance

Terry

#2 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

I have had the same "bug" of losing control. You would think that after all these years PGI would address it, but no luck. For me the solution that works nearly 100% of the time is to ALT-TAB out of MWO then ALT-TAB back in. If you are lucky you will not die before you get back to the game, although taking massive damage can happen quite often. Posted Image

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

I can recall many times recently where I had a shot, my weapons were ready to shoot, I push the button to shoot AND.... Nothing. I have to reline up and hit the button again... If not several times before I finally get it to shoot. And yes, it normally is when a lot of stuff may be happening at that time, like several mechs shooting, moving, etc in a close area (not necessarily on my screen either).

#4 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

had it happen to me, I was thinking it was just a latency issue, I don't have very good connection
but sounds like it might be something different, your description is similar to what happens to me, might think differently now, and try and note when it happens

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

There is non-responsive then there is MWO not being the focused window. That is also why your FPS drops, MWO FPS will drop when it is not the front focused window.

#6 TransitTrucker

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

I am putting together a schedule of tests to localise the issue:

o - Windows Keyboard/mouse handling - is focus being robbed or shifted for a short time?
o - Does MWO start chatting away with the backend when I am trying to stay alive thus stealing processor time?
o - Is MWO circumventing windows which can introduce all sorts of difficulties ?
o - Is there some issue around Windows process priority? Can MWO priority be raised?
o - Is there a service interacting with MWO in some way?
o - Is there a background process interacting with MWO?
o - Is there a subtle hardware issue with my KB/Mouse?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Not yet sure how to go about making the tests. It is going to be very challenging.

Terry

Edited by TransitTrucker, 01 March 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#7 Roc Ingersol

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 57 posts
  • LocationArkansas, Terra

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Ive had issues similar to that but they stopped when I made the kids stop streaming netflix/hulu while I am playing pvp online. If I am practicing at the academy or testing grounds then they can stream away and I havent noticed anything.

#8 TransitTrucker

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

I found that I had two usb mice registered in device manager. I disable one (which stops it reappearing). I now get about 10 more FPS and haven't had the loss of trigger or movement so far. I have no idea why Windows 10 registers 2 mice. It must be the way it handles generic mice. I have a Thermaltake Ttesport gaming keyboard and mouse. There is no driver supplied with them.

I am taking obs and measuring FPS to see whether I really have a cure.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I was heading off to work when I made the previous post and was not able to complete it.

If tabbed out of the game then tab back in while the game is loading, the system used to develop two mouse pointers, one on the MWO screen and one on the background. Clicking at the "right" time on a desktop shortcut will cause MWO to lose focus. Awhile back, after both MWO and Windows updates I have not had that issue occur, personally.

As for multiple mouse drivers, that can occur when switching USB ports. Not all the time but sometimes.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 March 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#10 TransitTrucker

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

I found that I had something called iPoint.exe running. This is a driver for Microsoft keyboard and mouse that was installed ages ago. I removed that and all seems well. I have been absolutely smashed by missiles and other players en-masse and maintained the ability to move.
Now, back to playing normally.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

iPoint comes stock with Windows 10(or at least, maybe older too, same as iType which are part of the new settings program for keyboard and mouse.

It's not a driver technically, drivers don't show up in task manager, you can only see them from device manager with less control than normal programs. But programs that can adjust settings for drivers like that do, commonly people call them drivers anyway, specally graphics card software, as they are related.

For all USB devices their driver is bound to the spesific port. So the same device in different port, is "different" device for Windows. If you change the device into another port, it will install the driver into it as well, unless it's been already done before. But normally they should not appear twice at the same time, the other device should be hidden. You can see it as greyed out if you toggle to see hidden devices in device manager. That's all normal and applies to all USB devices.

I haven't had a problem like this.

In quick situation I would try pressing any of the lock keys(numlock, capslock, screen lock). If the lights flash then at least the keyboard and Windows is responsive. The lights don't work independently by keyboard alone, for example if computer gets complely stuck, the lights won't change. If Windows recognizes the keyboard, then the problem is elsewhere. Next one can press F1 or esc, those are handled in the client, so if the client responds to that as well, then it's the server not getting it. If they don't respond, then the client is not receiving the input probably due to suggested reason of something other getting focus.

If you have shared connection, then if someone else starts downloading something big, it may delay the connection a lot and thus the server won't get any data from you. Some games might completely ignore input if it's too old(several seconds), I don't know how MWO handles it. But that's one thing you definetly should check if you have shared connection.

Sometimes I get the mouse cursor to show up in MWO, when in normal cockpit mode where you should only have crosshair/s. It will show up as the MWO style cursor, not normal white from Windows. Sometimes I get that too from Fallout 4 as well, I think it usually comes from alt-tabbing but sometimes in Fallout 4 it can come during loading screen in transitions, without alt-tabbing. In Fallout 4 it's always Windows style, either normal arror or sometimes the round "loading" circle.

Haven't seen that ever happen in WoT or other games. And for me, that's not common, happends sometimes but specially as in MWO loading each battle takes about a minute for me, I often alt-tab and read the forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users