61 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I'm not entirely certain how to preface this, but Faction Play on the Clan side has a very high level of toxicity to it. Enough so nearly two out of three games has players spouting less than pleasant language, direct personal insults, orders to uninstall the game, nigh screaming over the microphone, threats to team kill, and actual team killing/damaging (typically a "you shot me in the back on accident so I'm going to destroy your leg").

My point being, this is driving away players and actually drove me to quit from being a Jade Flacon loyalist just to escape the hostile atmosphere. It seems there needs to either be an increase in moderation presence in Clan FP or some way to make players aware of the CoC.

Having played on the IS side for the past 3-4 months the difference in general player attitude and conduct is staggering. This seems to contribute towards newer players abandoning the Clan Faction or FP in general, leading to a more stagnant player population. I really do love playing FP, but it can be hard to maintain a positive attitude and sportsmanship in such negativity.

Edited by Kilroy, 28 February 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#2 Lily of Thrace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUtopia, Terra

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Excuse me for stating it this way, as I know it obviously isn't the case for all Clan players, but like with the Germans in Heroes & Generals, the Clans seem to attract the more... "try hard" players. Which are typically like you mentioned in the above post if the littlest thing doesn't go their way. It's noticeable from the opposing team as well, with some of the... unvaried drops you sometimes see.
For some people, there is only fun in winning, and you normally see them going for the more "advanced" side. The more laidback players split between, and the ones that can't stand the exacting demands of the players that just have to win, or it's their fault, yeah, they try the other side or leave. It would take a concerted effort by the players in the Clans to make the social atmosphere more friendly, but, who has time for that when you've gotta win, right?

Please forgive me for any possible faux pas, it's been a while since I really posted on these forums, it's 3am, and I have a fever, so I am not at my smartest.

#3 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

I gave you a like not only for your post Lily but your forum sig, much chuckles.

#4 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostLily of Thrace, on 28 February 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Excuse me for stating it this way, as I know it obviously isn't the case for all Clan players, but like with the Germans in Heroes & Generals, the Clans seem to attract the more... "try hard" players. Which are typically like you mentioned in the above post if the littlest thing doesn't go their way. It's noticeable from the opposing team as well, with some of the... unvaried drops you sometimes see.
For some people, there is only fun in winning, and you normally see them going for the more "advanced" side. The more laidback players split between, and the ones that can't stand the exacting demands of the players that just have to win, or it's their fault, yeah, they try the other side or leave. It would take a concerted effort by the players in the Clans to make the social atmosphere more friendly, but, who has time for that when you've gotta win, right?

Please forgive me for any possible faux pas, it's been a while since I really posted on these forums, it's 3am, and I have a fever, so I am not at my smartest.

Oh that's certainly what I have observed so far, so your comment makes perfect sense. I literally had a player comment "the only fun is winning" in the game chat, without any hint of sarcasm or humor as previous game chat hinted.

It's not that the IS is without its own "try hards" but the frequency of instances is certainly far more noticeable on the Clans.

My general attitude is "Let's all have a beer, shoot each other's mechs, and have a good time." I'll take a defeat with good sportsmanship over a hundred sour victories any day of the week.

#5 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

I agree, too many trolls on this forums. Vickers and I try very hard to combat this.

#6 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 28 February 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

I agree, too many trolls on this forums. Vickers and I try very hard to combat this.

I can certainly appreciate that! I'm not much of a forum guy in general, so I mainly stick to trying to improve the game's atmosphere by joking around or encouraging new players.

In fact, if there was one feature I could add to the game I'd include a "Commendation" button on the player screen, so players who are good at calling drops/have good sportsmanship can receive some positive reinforcement of some sort. Almost like the "Like" system on the forum.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Well when you bring a LPL SHC as your first mech, stand still & proceed to get stripped in 3 ERPPC volleys @ 1200m in the first 3mins. I can probably see why your team would be a little annoyed at that (from a game last night Posted Image).

Sheet stirring you aside - IMO, it's the same on both sides. It just depends what players (merc units) are on what side on any given week for the most part.

I find it amusing some of the chat that goes on. Others don't. Sometimes I'll get into it, sometimes I won't.
Also don't forget there are some GREAT rivalries between a bunch of players and quite a lot of it is actually said in jest - it might not seem "good spirited", but this isn't a kindergarten play yard either, so some adult words get used sometimes.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 28 February 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#8 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

View PostKilroy, on 28 February 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

I can certainly appreciate that! I'm not much of a forum guy in general, so I mainly stick to trying to improve the game's atmosphere by joking around or encouraging new players.

In fact, if there was one feature I could add to the game I'd include a "Commendation" button on the player screen, so players who are good at calling drops/have good sportsmanship can receive some positive reinforcement of some sort. Almost like the "Like" system on the forum.

Kilroy, I couldn't agree more with some sort of "Commendation" for good, friendly or helpful players. I think that would go a long way to let the players who aren't spoil-sports and provide positivity to a match get some appreciation, and encourage them to carry on with helping. Hell, it might even help to quiet down the uncouth masses as well.

I hope someone at PGI sees this idea and brings it up with the Dev Team!

Edited by Grotoiler, 28 February 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#9 Andrzej Lechrenski

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

I honestly never noticed this! I play as a Clan Wolf loyalist, and (maybe for that reason?) am used to getting the tar kicked out of me in Faction matches. Especially scouting. But also, for that reason, I tend to take it with a pretty laid-back attitude.

I absolutely agree that there are plenty of toxic players, but maybe the ones ruining Faction are coming on at a certain time of day?

What time UTC do you usually play? I usually Faction between midnight and 5 AM UTC.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

View PostGrotoiler, on 28 February 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Kilroy, I couldn't agree more with some sort of "Commendation" for good, friendly or helpful players. I think that would go a long way to let the players who aren't spoil-sports and provide positivity to a match get some appreciation, and encourage them to carry on with helping. Hell, it might even help to quiet down the uncouth masses as well.

I hope someone at PGI sees this idea and brings it up with the Dev Team!

Also need a down-rate system too for players that refuse to follow calls, listen to input and so on from those people that DO try.

I used to call PUG drops all the time. I stopped pretty much since 4.1 because the quality of player is so low.., They refuse to listen, work as a team and sometimes openly argue about the commands/calls given.

Both systems however would be open to abuse, sadly, even if they are good.

#11 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostAndrzej Lechrenski, on 28 February 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

I honestly never noticed this! I play as a Clan Wolf loyalist, and (maybe for that reason?) am used to getting the tar kicked out of me in Faction matches. Especially scouting. But also, for that reason, I tend to take it with a pretty laid-back attitude.

I absolutely agree that there are plenty of toxic players, but maybe the ones ruining Faction are coming on at a certain time of day?

What time UTC do you usually play? I usually Faction between midnight and 5 AM UTC.

I'm on EST, so 5 hours behind you. I do notice a diminishing amount of the toxicity later into the night my time. Perhaps people are too tired to get riled up or the lower population density means more of an acceptance of the players you get?

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 February 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Also need a down-rate system too for players that refuse to follow calls, listen to input and so on from those people that DO try.

Yeah, that would be incredibly abused very quickly. It would turn the game into League of Legends-esque rampant reporting calls.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 February 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I find it amusing some of the chat that goes on. Others don't. Sometimes I'll get into it, sometimes I won't.
Also don't forget there are some GREAT rivalries between a bunch of players and quite a lot of it is actually said in jest - it might not seem "good spirited", but this isn't a kindergarten play yard either, so some adult words get used sometimes.

It's not, I can assure you. No one devotes that much vitriol to just that. At least it would be followed up by other, more sportsmanly or constructive chat, but more often than not, it isn't. The intention of those that do that doesn't much matter though as the output, regardless of that intention, is still just as toxic.

Edited by Kilroy, 28 February 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#12 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostNaglinator, on 28 February 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

oh wow. haha

#13 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts
  • LocationI came here to laugh at you.(^・ω・^)

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Nags forgot to mention me...

*Feelsbadman.jpg*

Edited by TimberWolf87, 01 March 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#14 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Ask nicely, command slightly less nicely, switch to french-canadien vocabulary when puglings charge headlessly to death. Total lack of communication. One way trip to salt mines, or as it is currently referred, toxicity.

It is very difficult to explain finer details of FW or team play in middle of match. Much easier if less experienced players just follow advice. Even more important is that less experienced players dont try to take command of drop or lead other noobs to bad spots on map.

Main issue with FW maps is that you cant have too many solos doing their own thing, "having fun". If push is called, it needs to be entire team and not just half of it. When team fails to open gates on Boreal or stay sniping on gate, salt mines open.
On push, lead will likely die soon. Next on line needs to know what to do. If next one gets scared of losing lead, results is usually stalling of push. Loosing ones mech is major part of team play. If it goes to getting objective, good. If it gets wasted because support sniper pads his own stats, bad.

Team mode, act accordingly. Don't and you are equally breaking CoC.

#15 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostLily of Thrace, on 28 February 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

It's noticeable from the opposing team as well, with some of the... unvaried drops you sometimes see.

Not sure what you mean by 'unvaried drops' but given the Clan has maybe less than half as many variants to choose from you will see the same mechs over and over again due to sheer lack of alternatives. The reduced tonnage limit also makes that variety more restrictive.

That is not exclusively a Clan mind set though. It's pretty rare to see more than the same handful of mechs on the IS side every drop as well. I did get excited when I saw an Enforcer for the first time in months in Faction Play the other day. "Don't kill it! Let it explore a while and be freeeeee!"

#16 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

I'd have to disagree entirely Guar. Have you actually stopped to read to Code of Conduct? If simply not being good at the game was against the rules the game would be populated by tumble weeds and sadness. I also don't think screaming vulgarity at your teammates does anything better than saying nothing at all. If you insult before you attempt to communicate like an adult I am going to be more inclined to disregard your orders. Having a relaxed attitude does not necessarily imply you're not cooperating or paying attention either.

There is a happy middle ground we can all be content in.

#17 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Well yeah it happens, sometimes I get salty too, but my advice is to hit the report, ignore and move on.....unless its ZITO, in which case you can flame the guy all you want hahaha

Edited by WayTooSexy, 01 March 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#18 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Die cheekiez die

#19 FrostyBurn

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:13 AM

The solution for the individual player is as usually to join a clan with people you enjoy dropping with. There are always going to be ******** but if the majority are cool then you can laugh at it.

#20 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

First and most important thing: this is Team game. Even QP is team game, not single player game, sole enjoyment for one. There are guidelines in CoC and then there are general expectations of player base.

Most players are not that great at this game, yours truly included, thats why teams performance is so important.

As i said, more loud words come after attempts at communicate in more normal fashion. For better players to carry team they must survive, if less experience run around doing their own thing, better ones can get overrun by oppo, leading to team losing.

"Is there a plan?", do not follow plan. "Do not re-enforce", charge in solo. "Regroup at F7", go to gate, get run over when oppo burns old boats. Players with more experience do try to educate newer ones, its just so damn hard sometimes. Whats your solution to players who fail to communicate, play as team and follow even most simplest orders?

What i forgot earlier, reasons for winning games: people like to win (during events required), moving tug of war to FW maps, winning planets for MC (taste for few).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users