Linux Help! (Wine 2.1 Dx11)

4 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

Anyone want to help get this working in wine under DX11 and 64bit bottles? I have it installed but I may have introduced an error. I also don't know much about getting it to work beyond following instructions in wineHQ(which there are none for 64bit) but with the DX11 support basically working now and having played other games on DX11(STO in this case) I wanted to see what could be done.

I'm using POL:
Fedora 25 x64 (native KDE installer)
560ti 1024 (GF114)(rev. a1)
Phenom II 1100T
8Gigs DDR3 1600ram (2x4gb)

So far:

Needed:

Windows 10 mode(needed for certain things to install on 64bit bottle including ultimately dotnet4.5.2)
Corefonts(needed for dotnet 4.5.2 to install via the MWOPortalinstaller)
Full window(set this in game)

Uncertain but installed:
Enabled CSMT
Wine 2.1staging
d3dx_43
msxml3
vcrun2010

I also copied a 32bit install and other folders in programs into the 64 bit folder.

Did some of the above when stuck to see if it worked since it worked on 32 bit previously:

https://appdb.winehq...TestingId=90536

I have yet to try some of the overrides, but I get this error currently. I may have introduced it.

POL debug info:

[03/02/17 20:23:11] - Content of /home/arugela/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/regkey.reg
-----------
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"DirectDrawRenderer"=-
-----------
fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.1 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
[03/02/17 20:23:20] - Running wine-2.1-staging MWO Portal.exe (Working directory : /home/arugela/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/MWOx64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Piranha Games/MWO Portal)
The entry point method could not be loaded
[03/02/17 20:42:40] - Running wine-2.1-staging MWORepairTool.exe (Working directory : /home/arugela/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/MWOx64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Piranha Games/MWO Portal)
[03/02/17 20:43:28] - Running wine-2.1-staging MWO Portal.exe (Working directory : /home/arugela/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/MWOx64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Piranha Games/MWO Portal)

What should the ""DirectDrawRenderer"=-" come out too?

Edit: Nvm, I may have just had the link messed up. I was linked to a non existant location because I transfered the files over or to the 32bit client accidently. It is now starting and I am at the log screen.... More testing coming.

Actually, I have to click the 64bit client manually... This means it's in wine instead of POL I think. But I can get in game. If i use the shortcut in POL I get a 32 bit window... If I manually click on it I get a 64 bit window. The shortcut was aiming at the 32 instead of 64 folder. Simply changed the target on the shortcut file to correct location! (Location: /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts)

Testing DX11 mode: Logged in and made it to my main mech screen!! ><

Turning up all settings to max and restarting: Negative, but I will remove them and test. I'm assuming it's motion blur, TXAA, or an overload of the system. The login window shows but it empty. Where is the correct CFG or settings file to change this. The one in the immediate folder didn't work. I think it was somewhere else on the system. Fixed it, but ran into a patch being available.

Edit: I just ran into a need for a patch. So there may be a problem patching the game through the normal client. I'm working on finding a way to do this after reisntalling the bottle. It was actually a false positive. Need to reinstall anyway because of something I did to the files. Reinstall from steam and transfering over. then I may run the installer if possible from 32 bit onto a shared file location to get it to be the native client instead of steam because steam tries to download the entire 14gb every patch through wine. If only we didn't have these stupid caps now....

Edited by Arugela, 02 March 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#2 TypicalDogAct

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

usually you'll get errors like that when you disable elements within the flash UI system ... the first few screens are basically just playing flash video files ...

cranking everything right up to max, will probably use more than 700mb of vram just to get to the login screen ... and it will probably eat more than 3gb of vram by the time it gets in game ....

good luck

Edited by TypicalDogAct, 02 March 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#3 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

It already worked in low settings. And it worked snappier than in DX9. I was just doing that to test it out and see if anything caused problems.

Portal.exe is not working though. So, I can't fresh install yet or update it... Anyone run into this and fixed it?

I may have to link an 64bit and 32 bit install to the same folder and run the updates.

Edit: And nevermind. Going into basic things like the loadout screen cause crashes... I thought I was in the clear!

Edited by Arugela, 02 March 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#4 Genisys

• Pip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 17 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

I didnt even get the new portal launcher to work in crossover tho

Edit: Even way less demanding DX11 games like Star Trek Online do only work with low perfomnce. at las for me. dx11 is more like beta in wine I think. guess we will have to give it 1-2 years.

Edited by Genisys, 05 March 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#5 Therron Keen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I was able to play MWO in Linux Mint 18 just fine by using PlayOnLinux to install Steam, and installing MWO from there. I have an i5-4690k and a Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X 4GB GPU.

I got very playable framerates - about the same that I get in Windows (60 normally or on most maps, but occasional dips caused by mechs exploding I think).

That was with all settings on Low except I think Textures on Medium.

...But I read somewhere that the proprietary Catalyst drivers got better frames in most games, but they only worked with Mint 17, so I installed it. Couldn't get it running, tried a bunch of stuff.

JUST installed 18 again like 5 minutes ago, so I should have MWO running by tomorrow. Gonna let it start downloading and go to bed.

Oh, there was an occasional graphics glitch that showed all the mechs with a bright yellow framework pattern instead of their normal textures, but it went away by alt-tabbing out of MWO and going back.

The only glitch I saw was that the big square rocks in the map Grim Plexus are a very very light color instead of dark, so there must be some bug with some shader or something used on that map.

EDIT: Just wanted to say, I successfully started up a match (on Grim Plexus, this time with no graphics glitch) and the game was very playable. I didn't have an FPS counter running but felt like a constant 40 frame with occasional very slight hiccups. With a little bit of tweaking it might be perfect at 40+.

EDIT: I just saw that you were trying to get the game to run in DX11 mode, I'm running in DX9. Sorry for any misunderstanding... but if you have any tips on improving the framerate in DX9, I'm all ears!

Edited by Duskkaras, 25 April 2017 - 08:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users