Best Dmg Dealer For Beginner?

18 replies to this topic

#1 stanieltron

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

Hello, could you please recommend a best damage dealing mech and build for a beginner(possibility to reliably deal high amount of dmg, in a good game crazy amount). I don't like rockets and close range skirmish, better a medium to long range, sniper or a med range flanker (if that makes sence) Don't care about armor as I don't want to skirmish very much and if I would be in 1on1 I would like to over dps oponent. I have a direwolf, as I've read that has the highest firepower in game, but it's clumsiness and unability to get to the possition in most cases (together with my noobiness), makes it hard to perform reliably in my hands. So maybe sacrifice DWF firepower for more mobility and fun.

I like a play with some light mechs abd enjoyed shooting the back of someone, but they were lacking firepower to make them really hurt, so maybe something on a heavier side.

THX for suggestions

Edited by stanieltron, 05 March 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#2 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

Well, depends on a couple of factors: are you willing to spend Imaginary Spacebucks or real monies? Do you want I.S. 'Mechs or Clan? (it would seem that you don't care, considering you have a DW) Have you played other MW titles?

Assuming you are completely green, and not willing to spend money; I would recommend the Shadow Cat with ECM as either the SC Sniper or Splat! Cat (I know you said you don't like "rockets" but, trust me, you want to learn how to use them if you want to out DPS other 'Mechs), or go with the Hellbringer build: the ECM Bringer. All builds of these 'Mechs are great support designs that really let you help your team (don't stray so they get the benefit of your ECM and shoot what your team shoots). Also, they are fast enough to keep up with the bulk of your teammates. The JJs and extra speed on the Shadowcat give it many options, like getting on the tall walls of HPG manifold if you are one of the last surviving members of your team or hunting the last of your opponents.

Now if you don't mind spending real money, get yourself the Marauder IIC Hero, watch as many Youtube videos as you can about it, and recreate your own version of the the uber meta LB-20-X/ SRM 4/ 2 ERML Scorch. Or do the same equivalent with the Kodiak 3. Both are standard Battlemechs, so you can change out the size of the engine for better performance.

Edited by Black Lanner, 05 March 2017 - 04:56 AM.

#3 stanieltron

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Is MAD BH any good for such purpose? I bought it sometimes back then

#4 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Wait a min.... do u want to earn cbills or do u want to shell damage.... cause they are both different

Wait a min.... do u want to earn cbills or do u want to shell damage.... cause they are both different

I can do 1200+damage in a locust with 4 small pulse lasers.... so what are u really asking how,to do damage or how,ro make millions of cbills a day

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Your damage output can be dependent on how long you live, positioning and whether you are considered a high priority target or just a target of opportunity, among other things.

What mechs do you have? You just started this month (no data til Season 9) and you are either in T5 or likely have moved into T4, have played 15 games and actually ahead on K/D 15vs11.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 March 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#6 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

sounds to me like he wants a (u)ac5 boat with 3 or 4 (u)ac5s. propably in the 75 to 90 ton range. one of the IS marauders or marauder IIC A comes to mind. maybe a WH-BW. also: Jagermechs and Riflemen.

an LPL battlemaster would propably also suit your tastes.

as for your bounty hunter: i run one of my bounty hunters with 6 LL (and either XL+JJ or standard no JJ). runs hot as hell but is a fun mech. propably not what you are looking for, though, because its hard to play because of heat management and limited speed

#7 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

As a beginner you should pilot a medium and follow and support the team. Pickup a Hunchback IIc and use this build (4x ultra ac2): HBK-IIC

You can do exactly what you want, mid / long dps support.

Edited by B3R3ND, 05 March 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#8 stanieltron

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Thanks all for suggestions, for now I don't want to invest real money, need to get more feeling for the game and what suits me.

#9 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Its not the mech its the pilot. I can pull 1200+ in a Kodiak-3 while others in my iunit can barely pull 700. Just practice and get good. Get a mech you like and you will learn how to pull a lot of damage. It took my 3 months before I did a 900 damage match. Just relax, enjoy the game, and play mechs you like

#10 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

View Posthordes1ayer2, on 05 March 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Its not the mech its the pilot. I can pull 1200+ in a Kodiak-3 while others

can do it a mech 80 tons lighter

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

laser vomit Hellbringer. Just alpha and hide, over and over. Boring, but the damage is very reliable.

#12 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

I would go with Clan heavy, like Timber Wolf, Ebon Jaguar, Night Gyr or Hellbringer. There are better choices for pure damage, but those are really solid overall.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 05 March 2017 - 05:13 PM.

#13 stanieltron

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:06 AM

Thanks all, to summarize, which is the most assassin like build? Thus low armor, higher mobility, high firepower ,more sustained then alpha.

#14 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:47 AM

View Poststanieltron, on 07 March 2017 - 01:06 AM, said:

Thanks all, to summarize, which is the most assassin like build? Thus low armor, higher mobility, high firepower ,more sustained then alpha.

Some kind be of clan laser vomit - Arctic Cheetah or maybe a Nova would give you the numbers you think will help your game.

Just a reminder: moar weapons doesn't mean you are going to be cranking out damage; many are more effective using less weapons more consistently. Locusts, for example, can be extraordinarily lethal when used correctly.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 08 March 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#15 Stelio Kontos

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

If you're just learning...I actually think the kitfox is a great starter. It isn't anywhere near being one of the top meta mecha but it has a good combination of qualities that are great for a beginner with a specific playstyle: lots of weight for weapons, good variety of pods, and armor. It's not particularly fast but being incredibly fast doesn't benefit you unless you know how to use tactical maneuver skills to your advantage, which you will not unless you have played similar games before or a real life military background.

Take one of those and then follow a "little brother" playstyle where you pair up with a heavy/assault mech and protect them. Not only will that make them far more effective but most people will target them first so you get to live long enough to actually learn something.

Shadow Cats are also good for the same criteria of being versatile and easy to drive. As a new player you aren't going to want more complicated weapon setups, and will instead want to stick to a smaller number of guns mounted on one mech. The combination of lasers with a good ballistic (doable on either chassis) is a great starting point.

Edited by Lamp erouge, 23 March 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#16 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

If you want straight up uber damage dealer, get the Kodiak-3... load up uac 5 & 10 dakka or go quad lbx10, and you'll be cranking up those dmg like a boss.
But be careful of stat padding too much in an OP mech, you might go up the PSR tier too fast and will end up going against better players too quickly and eventually it will be difficult to learn other mech playstyle and weapons system.
I suggest to take your time learning the game and its mechanics, different play style and learn the strenght and weakness of different chassis, you will get far more satisfaction from the game mastering different play style and different chassis ;)
Well for me anyways, thats what I find enjoyable from the game :)

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

View Poststanieltron, on 05 March 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Is MAD BH any good for such purpose? I bought it sometimes back then

That mech is more suited for brawling. it's not a good sniper since it's energy hardpoints are to low (head can only mount a small/medium). and it only has one ballistic hardpoint.
Sure you can go single uac5 or gauss but you won't get much damage out of it.

Bounty Hunter is best for ac20+ ml lasers on a std engine.

#18 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Don't get deceived by how the game rewards damage.
It's better to do pinpoint damage to critical components rather than creaming your damage all over the place.

In my opinion, the best beginner mech is the Hunchback since it's a perfect allrounder.
It's very cheap, can be reasonably fast and agile, is quite tanky and has variants for all weapon types.
You can cram a decent amount of weapons in it as well. 3 ERLL and 3 ML, 3 PPC, 2LRM10s and 3 ML, 9SPL ...

If you want a sneaky backstabber, the Arctic Cheetah is a great choice. Fast, good at spreading damage and has jumpjets. With Omnipods you can get an ECM and 2ERL or 6 SPL or even 6ML if you can manage the heat.

Edited by Guile Votoms, 23 March 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#19 cakasaur

• Pip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

Since you are a beginner, i think the best choice of mechs to get due to limited mechbays would be a clan omnimech, say the medium Huntsman ,the heavy timberwolf or the night gyr.
Because of the properties of omnimechs being able to swap omnipods and a fixed engine, you will be much more able to test you different play styles (Laser vom, ppfld, dakka) much more cheaply than buying a non-omnimech.
If you want good c-bills and think that you are not so good at the game, i will recommend the huntsman due to the benefit of having the 'protected medium' reward of engaging enemies near your friendly heavy/assault mechs which allows for a more consistent c-bill gain regardless of how much damage you do (damage, assists and kills still matter though)

Comparing the timby and the night gyr, the timber is much faster (81 vs 64.8 kph), has slightly better survivabilty( slight stalker syndrome hitboxes allows for tanking with side torsos better added with speed and mobility vs night gyr fat arms that can tank some damage but imo less reliably(don't kill me night gyr pilots)) though in exchange can carry a smaller payload of weapons and somewhat poorer weapon placement (short, squat and wide arms at waist level plus 'mickey mouse ears' vs night gyr cockpit level ST weapons, tall height, narrow arms at chest level).

The timber is also sexier than the night gyr. Just sayin. Hope it helps!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users