#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostMrWeaseluv Fetladral, on 09 March 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

here we go MercJ.. Win 10, FX8350 CPU (running @ 4ghz overclock is off), ATI Radeon RX460 video card, 16Gb ram DDR4 2400 on river city pub drop high graphic settings.. ran 3 60 second caps all with in 1 fps of each other... FRAPS log...
2017-03-09 15:49:32 - MWOClient
Frames: 4039 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 67.317 - Min: 47 - Max: 81

On a side note running at 4.5Ghz overclock i get much closer to the I5 setup you showed. I was having a crash issue last night (don't think it was the overclock but still checking to be sure)

Total system cost.... $695.00.... I stole this sucker lol

weasel, you have to list your screen resolution for the results. Merc often runs 2560x1440, and all his posted results here are 1920x1080.

#22 MrWeaseluv Fetladral

• PipPip
  • The Paw
  • The Paw
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 09 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

weasel, you have to list your screen resolution for the results. Merc often runs 2560x1440, and all his posted results here are 1920x1080.

You're right I should have in this case it was 1920x1080 which is why i didn't bother to post as it was the same :D

#23 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Fx8350 @ 5.0 with highly tuned ram.....years of tweaking to be let down with 26FPS all day long./

Posted Image

#24 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Also, be sure to select the "High Performance" power setting for best results.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

#25 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Alright, a few more - bumped the clock up to 3.9, messed around with graphic settings (and swapped in a spare GTX 970 so I could use my 1070 on my main MWO machine again Posted Image - didn't seem to hurt max/mins at all).
Posted Image
Posted Image

These seem a bit more indicative of the type of performance one could expect. Less of the stutters like the FX series had, but still not quite like a high-clocked Skylake or Kaby :/

Looking forward to trying it on Win7 hopefully - would like to see what the difference is without that scheduler bug. (no scheduler bug apparently...)

Edited by MercJ, 25 March 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#26 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Pretty interesting findings on Ryzen gaming performance difference theories being tested.

https://www.pcper.co...o-Silver-Bullet

So... now we wait to see who wants to do what about Ryzen's weird gaming performance behavior.

Anybody wanna fool with their core count and SMT for in-depth MWO testing? As in, not just one or two matches for just a couple of minutes, but more like 4-6 matches and 3-5 minutes per match?

Also, I'm thinking a low-latency, high-bandwidth memory choice is an absolute must with Ryzen at this point, but maybe also limiting the amount of RAM slots being used (meaning bigger RAM modules instead of more RAM modules to achieve a given capacity).

#27 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 13 March 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Also, I'm thinking a low-latency, high-bandwidth memory choice is an absolute must with Ryzen at this point, but maybe also limiting the amount of RAM slots being used (meaning bigger RAM modules instead of more RAM modules to achieve a given capacity).

It helps.
https://www.computer...icherskalierung

#28 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Even more interesting, AMD now has a write-up about how to configure your system for optimal performance.

https://community.am...md-ryzen-system

#29 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Edited to add a space between Core Parking/Fast frequency. Not just for AMD but that it would likely have an impact on Intel users. Other players have had issue w/playing MWO on balanced mode and changing to HPERF made things better. But there is at least one player who refuses to utilize High Performance and expects PGI to "fix" the game to make it work w/balanced mode when the issue is not the game but OS setup, which part of the default BALANCED PLAN is set at minimum processing state of 5%. Said user changed that to 80% temporary and saw the MWO performance issue disappear. Said user noted he reset things back to default and is waiting for MWO to do its thing.

Mind Your Power Plan
Make sure the Windows® 10 High Performance power plan is being used (picture). The High Performance plan offers two key benefits:

Core Parking OFF: Idle CPU cores are instantaneously available for thread scheduling. In contrast, the Balanced plan aggressively places idle CPU cores into low power states. This can cause additional latency when un-parking cores to accommodate varying loads.

Fast frequency change: The AMD Ryzen™ processor can alter its voltage and frequency states in the 1ms intervals natively supported by the “Zen” architecture. In contrast, the Balanced plan may take longer for voltage and frequency changes due to software participation in power state changes.

In the near term, we recommend that games and other high-performance applications are complemented by the High Performance plan. By the first week of April, AMD intends to provide an update for AMD Ryzen™ processors that optimizes the power policy parameters of the Balanced plan to favor performance more consistent with the typical usage models of a desktop PC.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 March 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#30 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

(All captures were done with the "High Performance" power profile selected in Windows - I'll make sure the OP reflects this.)

A lot has happened with Ryzen in the last week...turns out the Win10 scheduler issue was vastly overblown. I'll probably test a RAM overclock next, seems like that may help.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my R7 1700 for what it offers. Those looking for the absolute best gaming experience will still be better served by a higher clocked modern Intel, but Ryzen is passable. I'll keep updating this thread as I capture more and try different things - been experimenting with using the Academy gauntlet run as a benchmark of sorts, seems to work pretty well.

#31 Chip

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts
  • Locationitaly

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

point out an old post on the number of CPUs. Try locking 4-core
http://mwomercs.com/...core-cpu-usage/

#32 gaIaxor

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

I think assigning 2, 3 or 4 MWO threads only to real cores (on same CCX) with the task manager may increase performance on Ryzen. Can someone check that with the "MechWarrior Academy" tutorial intro?
(Make sure you use HPET off and switch W10 from its default Balanced power plan to High Performance.)

Also W7 may improve performance:

Edited by gaIaxor, 20 March 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#33 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

On Golem.de they tested not only 3D-Game-Performance but also how quick Ryzen could compute a CIV-VI Turn in the late game with many Units and it came out as one of the very fastest CPUs.

Posted Image

Probably todays games are still not optimized very good for a new CPU and Multicores (as you know Multicores were brought to the PC by AMD as well as 64Bit computing while Intel was and again is idling on its revenues).

Edited by Thorqemada, 20 March 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#34 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

if you guys are playing with processor affinity a lot, you might be interested to know that the game has a cvar that grants proper affinity control ... unlike disabling the job system, or assigning 'threads' to 'cores' .... it goes into a user.cfg file, BEFORE anything else ... and cannot be changed within software after rendering has begun ...
--;---- AFFINITY MUST BE SET BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE IN ORDER TO WORK
--; variable: sys_affinity
--;	type: int
--;	help: CPU affinity, which cpu's to run on
--;		  this is a proper control for which 'cores' to run on, IT USES DECIMAL INPUT
--; 		  dont forget, that counting starts from 0
--;	254 : last7 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
--;	252 : last6 (2,3,4,5,6,7)
--;	170 : odd   (1,3,5,7)
--;	128 : last  (just core 7)
--;	 85 : even  (0,2,4,6)
--;	 84 : back3 (3,5,7)
--;	 80 : back2 (5,7)
--;	 64 : just7 (just core 6)
--;	  1 : first (just core 1)
sys_affinity = 252

recently, I had a game, where I locked the affinity to a single core, wondering if that was enough oomph to play .... and apparently it is ...
https://youtu.be/bAM_xUoTCjs

so I wouldn't really expect that giving it more power will solve all underlying issues

Edited by NARC BAIT, 21 March 2017 - 01:03 AM.

#35 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 21 March 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

if you guys are playing with processor affinity a lot, you might be interested to know that the game has a cvar that grants proper affinity control ... unlike disabling the job system, or assigning 'threads' to 'cores' .... it goes into a user.cfg file, BEFORE anything else ... and cannot be changed within software after rendering has begun ...
--;---- AFFINITY MUST BE SET BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE IN ORDER TO WORK
--; variable: sys_affinity
--;	type: int
--;	help: CPU affinity, which cpu's to run on
--;		  this is a proper control for which 'cores' to run on, IT USES DECIMAL INPUT
--; 		  dont forget, that counting starts from 0
--;	254 : last7 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
--;	252 : last6 (2,3,4,5,6,7)
--;	170 : odd   (1,3,5,7)
--;	128 : last  (just core 7)
--;	 85 : even  (0,2,4,6)
--;	 84 : back3 (3,5,7)
--;	 80 : back2 (5,7)
--;	 64 : just7 (just core 6)
--;	  1 : first (just core 1)
sys_affinity = 252

recently, I had a game, where I locked the affinity to a single core, wondering if that was enough oomph to play .... and apparently it is ...
https://youtu.be/bAM_xUoTCjs

so I wouldn't really expect that giving it more power will solve all underlying issues

It is worth testing, but it is also worth noting that PGI has a nasty habit of disabling various cvars from being changed in the user.cfg so it's anybody's guess if it will actually help. Basically gotta hope somebody with a Ryzen chip feels like testing it out more.

#36 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 21 March 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

It is worth testing, but it is also worth noting that PGI has a nasty habit of disabling various cvars from being changed in the user.cfg so it's anybody's guess if it will actually help. Basically gotta hope somebody with a Ryzen chip feels like testing it out more.

That was my first thought as well, quite a lot is disabled (for obvious reasons)

#37 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

you can set whatever you like in a user.cfg file, its loaded before the login screen, and if it suits PGI, they will overwrite it for you ... seriously .... theres THOUSANDS of keys, and very few of them are 'controlled' outside of the sys spec groupings ... furthermore, some will never be never be altered beyond the default .... and in all seriousness, you struggle to gain much 'true advantage' with mere cvar modding .... for instance you could disable the particle system, but you wouldn't get any indicator on where the ppc shot came from ... I know of another key, that should be locked down ... but isn't .... the TOS ( terms of service ) state that a user.cfg is fine, because they will override it when it suits them .... so .... and I would think that there are plenty of things that could be modded for advantage, but that's not what I'm about ... so I leave vast chunks, untouched, and just shake my head about the way goals have been accomplished ... I'd bet my left nut that you'll never have trouble for the affinity cvar ... but not my right one ... I put MWO on the back six cores on my system, and assign almost everything else to the front two ... including browser windows / game recording ...

I couldn't honestly see more raw CPU power helping, because what I see at my end, is plenty of left over CPU cycles, and the new ryzen CPU's come in at basically the same clock speeds ... but top clock DDR4 might 'actually' help lower execution times ... in threads buried beyond control, like network scheduling and scaleform (flash) ... but when I saw the OP messing with affinity, I thought it might help them ...

#38 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 10 March 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Fx8350 @ 5.0 with highly tuned ram.....years of tweaking to be let down with 26FPS all day long./

Posted Image

Hmmm i'm running my fx8320 at 4.8 or even at 4.5 ghz with just a little ram tuning and got 60fps (vsynch on) almost a whole match...

#39 fuzzydice555

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

My thoughts on Ryzen 1700:

- High performance setting in windows is an absolute MUST. I can't stress this enough. On balanced mode, I had horrible stutter and dips into single digit FPS. On high performance mode, the game runs between 35-60 FPS with no noticeable dips.

- I use bottom of the barrel 2133 MHz RAM. I'm sure faster memory would help, but it's not necessary to get good results.

- The extra cores don't do much for performance. I use process lasso to set MWO for the first 4 cores. The second 4 cores are used to crunch BOINC/World Community Grid while playing. I noticed no difference between 4 or 8 cores.

All in all, MWO is quite enjoyable on the R7 1700, but I think a k series i7/i5 provides better performance.

You can't run handbrake/crunch/render whatever while playing MWO on an i5 though Posted Image

Edited by fuzzydice555, 23 March 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#40 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:37 AM

If you don't mind asking fuzzydice555, what graphics card are you using in your Ryzen Build? Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users