Mwo On Ryzen

78 replies to this topic

#61 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

I found quite some time ago a page that offers all VC++ Redistributables and updated my PC with them - sometimes a Software overwrites it with older Versions that may be troublesome so be carefull and look at them now and then to secure running the latest bestest versions!

VC++ redist 2005 is no more included but still available via specific search and download:
https://support.micr...ual-c-downloads

PS: Yeah, you need them of every year bcs older Software requests them and both 32 + 64 Bit, but you should run the latest version of each vc++ redist. generation.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 April 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#62 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 07 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Well, from what I've seen with past computers, MWO, for some reason, REALLY dislikes it if you use any video card not made by NVIDIA.

My 290X would disagree with you vehemently. Never had issues on MWO...and the 7870XT before that would disagree as well.

#63 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostGyrok, on 29 April 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

My 290X would disagree with you vehemently. Never had issues on MWO...and the 7870XT before that would disagree as well.

Seconded. Still running two HD 7970s. No issues.

The only "deficiency" is that there is some hidden setting in MWO that causes some of the whizz bang particles to not render on AMD cards. Small stuff, like sparks flying off of a 'Mech when shot by lasers? Doesn't render for me. I only ever noticed because I watched Phil's streams and noticed some particle effects I wasn't getting. It's completely harmless, though.

#64 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Ryzen CPUs are the disruptors of the PC world because AMD finally has a whole lineup of CPUs which can give the desktop Intel Core i5s and i7s a run for it money from the i5 7600K, i7 7700K and even the X99 platform i7 6800k, 6850K and 6900K

and the i3 Core will get dethroned when Ryzen 3 is coming in the next quarter

the IPC jump from the old FX CPUs is huge and you can clearly see benchmarks showing the Ryzen 5 matching blows for blows in most games. And surprisingly it able to maintain the minimums and has lower 0.1% frame time which is what we call stutters on the AMD system vs the Intel Core i5

Unlike the Intel CPUs which need a K series CPU and a Z170 or Z270 or X99 chipset mobo for OC

It looks to me the Ryzen 3 CPU may also be unlocked meaning you can OC the CPU as long you are running a B350 or X370 AMD chipset motherboard

And tests shown the B350 gives the same OC as the X370 with the only exception being the X370 supports SLi and full CF support over the B350

note some B350 supports CF but the second slot is sharing the PCI-E lanes with the chipset and not linked to the first GPU slot so latency will be there and that affect GPU CF performance.

Board makers and game devs are optimizing the mobo BIOS and game code to support the Ryzen CPUs better.
But i say f*** PGI and MWO if they ever optimized this game to run even on decent hardware let alone AMD Ryzen.

#65 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

eventually I will get one ... though I am likely to get a hex core ... the memory speed seems to be key, and likely to improve results even furher as higher clocked chips become more realistic ... I did the windows creators update, to test game mode, did video card driver at same time ... and was surprised to see an average 5-10 fps increase ... from nothing related to MWO itself ... I've had MWO set to launch at a higher priority than other threads for a long time, but it actually seems to be doing it now ... anyway ... I'm sure the per core clock speed will still have a big impact to the game in its current format ... with the closer to 5ghz on the main thread, the better ...

#66 Mortys

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFrance, Paris

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hey mates. R5 1600X @ 3900MHz here. Windows 10 Pro Performance mode.

Most of the game runs between 40 to 60 FPS with huge framesdrop to 25/30FPS into brawling. I was on a i5-4690k with some drops sometimes during the nigh/day cycle on Rivercity and in general all the last map they released... i always find this game clearly bad optimised and now it's worse, sigh...

I'm on a 1070FTW evga and runs heavy games like the witcher 3 @ extreme settings without having any issues. I spent many months on this game so i'm clearly sad but i can't do anythin to improve my gaming experience into MWO.

Edited by Mortys, 26 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#67 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

View PostMortys, on 26 May 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Most of the game runs between 40 to 60 FPS with huge framesdrop to 25/30FPS into brawling.

firstly I'd question what speed ram you have, early on people didnt realise the importance to the cpu of having a high ram speed, as it affects the interconnect between the CCX's ... or some blah, but a bunch of titles show better results with faster ram ...

secondly I'd ask if you've re setup windows a on a clean disk, I found by accident that I didn't have a .dll that the game occasionally seemed to want, and that was causing a chunk of the 'stalls' for me, its earlier in this thread, at the end of page 2, you might want to ttry that

beyond that, you might want to check all the usual power performance modes, and your current status in relation to the creators update, and the game bar/recording/mode settings, on my FX, I got a positive result from game mode, but that doesn't seem to be the average from the people who've responded when I've asked in game ...

Edited by NARC BAIT, 26 May 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#68 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:44 AM

Having read this thread, I disabled the Microsoft Game Bar, and the game became so much snappier!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR

AppCaptureEnabled DWORD

0 = Off
1 = On

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

GameDVR_Enabled DWORD

0 = Off
1 = On

#69 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:03 AM

I don't wanna make a new thread for this, so here are my questions @ ryzen users:

I am asking because I badly need to replace my current computer (Core 2 Quad 8300 @ 3,2Ghz - avg FPS ~25) and I seriously play with the idea to build a Ryzen system.

However, Intel will release in August/September their Coffee Lake CPUs and with CL also 6-Core CPUs and now I am unsure if I should just wait until Coffee Lake or just grab a Ryzen.

I am aware that Ryzen is known to be a Multicore-Monster but it can't compete with the Singlecore Performance of a 7700K and afaik MWO is badly multicore/thread optimized.

So what are your avg FPS in MWO? Are they regularly above 60-70 FPS?
And what are your configurations of the system like motherboard, ram modules, cpu (r5/r7)?

#70 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

I will let xWIREDx do the heavy lifting on your question, but to the big question I have for you is;

What else are you using your PC for?

Because if it is for MWO and very little other gaming, you can get absolutely fine results with a decent 4th gen I5 and a good graphics card. You can budget build like a mofo for something like this now.

If you want MWO *AND* other games running optimally, or you just want to "future proof" to know that you are set for 3-5+ years, then yes, you are going to be looking at the newer chips/chipsets.

I am running an i7 4770 (3.4 GHz) with a 1050Ti f/ GFX and I can get 60+ fps at medium-high settings with few dips.

Edited by MovinTarget, 26 June 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#71 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 June 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

I will let xWIREDx do the heavy lifting on your question, but to the big question I have for you is;

What else are you using your PC for?

Office, Virtualization, Gaming (MWO, Cities Skylines, Battlefield and such...).
Actually almost everything except streaming/video encoding.

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 June 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

If you want MWO *AND* other games running optimally, or you just want to "future proof" to know that you are set for 3-5+ years, then yes, you are going to be looking at the newer chips/chipsets.

I am running an i7 4770 (3.4 GHz) with a 1050Ti f/ GFX and I can get 60+ fps at medium-high settings with few dips.

As you can see by my current CPU (Core 2 Quad) I mostly go for 5+ years, but it's definitely about time to get a new system.
It's absolutely horrible to be in CQC situations with my current rig because FPS drops regularly below 20 FPS.

I actually tend to the Ryzen CPUs since Intel seems to be currently in a transition/stall'ish phase in their CPU development/shrinks but Intel always had and still has superior Singlecore performance and still alot of games are not multicore optimized (except a few).

#72 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:27 AM

View PostHanky Spam, on 26 June 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

Office, Virtualization, Gaming (MWO, Cities Skylines, Battlefield and such...).
Actually almost everything except streaming/video encoding.

As you can see by my current CPU (Core 2 Quad) I mostly go for 5+ years, but it's definitely about time to get a new system.
It's absolutely horrible to be in CQC situations with my current rig because FPS drops regularly below 20 FPS.

I actually tend to the Ryzen CPUs since Intel seems to be currently in a transition/stall'ish phase in their CPU development/shrinks but Intel always had and still has superior Singlecore performance and still alot of games are not multicore optimized (except a few).

just to be blunt here.

Mechwarrior Online is not optimized and will never be optimized to run AMD systems.

It is the programmers plain laziness during their testing phases. They just simply took the easy route and only support Intel/nVIdia combo system for their game and they can still F**K UP the damn bloody game!

I have seen i7 rigs with GTX 980/Ti can still sometimes struggle with sustaining 60fps during heavy fights.

This game is more CPU bound than GPU bound.

hence why you get measly fps.

I am running a Core 2 Quad Q6600 3GHz with a GTX 950 and getting similar results

Based on your use case

I say the Ryzen 5 setup will do wonders over the more costly Intel offerings.

what is you max budget for the PC?

#73 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 27 June 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

I am running a Core 2 Quad Q6600 3GHz with a GTX 950 and getting similar results

Based on your use case

I say the Ryzen 5 setup will do wonders over the more costly Intel offerings.

what is you max budget for the PC?

I know that MWO is CPU bound otherwise it would run ~60 fps constantly like the new Doom does it on my Sys (the mentioned C2Q + GTX 1060 6GB)

Regarding the budget:
I have almost all components already here at home except the CPU + Motherboard combo.
The question for me is just: Ryzen or wait the 1,5/2 months for Coffee Lake?

I am also thinking about to take the R5 1600X and upgrade the CPU later next year with a Zen-Refresh 8-Core.

However, you and Movintarget didn't actually answer my real questions since I wanted to hear usercase experience of people that own a Ryzen and are actively playing MWO Posted Image

#74 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

So I finally upgraded my system. Can't get myself a gfx card though with them all being sold out and stuff, but it's fine for now, performance is miles above what it was.

Still trying to see if it can be improved so, three questions:

Should I really disable HPET?

Should I try that sys_job_system_max_worker = X trick?

Though last time I edited the game's config file, it was 2011...how to do that again?

Edited by Click, 27 June 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#75 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:04 AM

Running a ryzen 1700, check my specs in other post on this one and in the builds section. Loving my new Ryzen build, it handles this game well. I would not go Intel for your new build.

#76 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

So, i'm gonna get a 1500x very soon (or a 1600 if i can find a good deal on it). Can't wait to see how much the in-game performance will change, compared to my lowly i3 2100. Will make sure to update with the results as soon as i get the new stuff!

By any chance, anyone's got one of those two CPUs and can give us an insight on how the game runs with them?

#77 TypicalDogAct

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostClick, on 27 June 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Should I really disable HPET?

haven't got my ryzen just yet, but usually HPET will only 'help' performance if your also using vsync ...

#78 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

one has to check themselves if HPET actually gives you anything

for me it creates a kind of microstutter

and I'm on a 7600k @5.2Ghz and a M2 SSD, Windows 10

also be aware that RAM speeds these days do matter (when CPU bound), especially on Ryzen

Posted Image

google translate of computerbase looking at RAM speeds

View PostHanky Spam, on 27 June 2017 - 03:56 AM, said:

I know that MWO is CPU bound otherwise it would run ~60 fps constantly like the new Doom does it on my Sys (the mentioned C2Q + GTX 1060 6GB)

Regarding the budget:
I have almost all components already here at home except the CPU + Motherboard combo.
The question for me is just: Ryzen or wait the 1,5/2 months for Coffee Lake?

I am also thinking about to take the R5 1600X and upgrade the CPU later next year with a Zen-Refresh 8-Core.

However, you and Movintarget didn't actually answer my real questions since I wanted to hear usercase experience of people that own a Ryzen and are actively playing MWO Posted Image

going with Intel
well really high overclocks perform really well in MWO
I know because I'm happy with my 7600k @5.2Ghz, it does really well in MWO

Ryzen does ok as far as other Users go, not uber great, but seems to do fine
even if coffee lakes 6 cores/12 threads seems interesting you would still have to hold off and see how it overclocks
because thats where the magic starts to happen in MWO, Intel+ a lot of frequency

but honestly Intel is ticking me off a lot with swapping chipsets so many times

coffee lake is a kaby lake refresh, which is a skylake refresh

recent news paint the z370 that comes out this year as a z270 re brand, with the same features (like USB 3.1 Gen1 and the like)

and next year comes out a newer 300 line of chipsets (dubbed cannon lake PCH) with features like USB 3.1 Gen2

google translate of Computerbase cannon lake

if all those is true then you end up having 4 different chipsets for the same architecture (refresh of a refresh of Skylake) with the same socket in about what? 12 months or so?

and yet Intel can make a 7700k fit onto x299 Posted Image (and call it 7740k)

#79 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

yeah, if you want to spend the most money, learn the least, just be be able to say, that your the fastest, then sure, go intel ...

in terms of products being refreshed, that's been what intel have been all about ... a lot of the 'generations' were basically the same chip, slightly smaller, making it, slightly faster ...

each to their own I guess ....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users