Stopping Skirmishers

3 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I'd like to know how clanners can stop fast moving XL engine skirmisher mechs in CW. Those IS meds/heavies with med->short range builds, often pairing things like LargePulse Lasers and SRM6's. And I am talking about 8-12 of those mechs running at you in well executed precise push. Like which mechs/loadouts could be fine at engaging those. Especially when I prefer to run 30 ton Kit Fox myself.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Step one would be to use the maximum tonnage your dropdeck can allow so that if anything you make them take a few extra shots on you.

Step two would just be to out range them. Bring PPC+Gauss and let the enemies push in, but have your team spread out so that their push cannot be as precise. You'll also have to coordinate well enough to still focus fire on targets while split up so that fire comes in from multiple angles.

Doing that will rip them apart quickly. With PPC+Gauss pinpoint frontloaded damage hitting their side torsos and breaking them off should be rather easy.

Here's an example of a Clan team obliterating an IS team in a faction play match. The first wave for IS consists mostly of fast moving mediums and heavies.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119597927

At 1 minute and 40 seconds in, he mentions the exact tactic I am suggesting and it gives them a massive advantage.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Basically the IS side is using the Stormcrow tactics but with IS mechs. Sad thing though is many are using isXL engines so the Clans only have to shoot destroy one of three torso instead a Clan's CT or one side torso then one of the others.. quite a disparity, wouldn't you say?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 March 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#4 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 08 March 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

I'd like to know how clanners can stop fast moving XL engine skirmisher mechs in CW. Those IS meds/heavies with med->short range builds, often pairing things like LargePulse Lasers and SRM6's. And I am talking about 8-12 of those mechs running at you in well executed precise push. Like which mechs/loadouts could be fine at engaging those. Especially when I prefer to run 30 ton Kit Fox myself.

Leg them at range. You need a shot caller to do this though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users