• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

I have finally finished discussing and refining a mockup skill tree that I feel will be a dramatic improvement over the version that will be going live on the 21st. This was created with the help of many people in the community as well as considering the major feedback from PTS1 and PTS2.

This does not directly discuss costs or fine balance of the skill tree, this is a conceptual change to the layout and how weapons and firepower are handled.

Here is an Imgur album walking you through how this system will look, some of the reasoning, and how it will function.

http://imgur.com/a/ou6tc

Here is a 12m video that covers how it will work.

Major Changes compared to PGI's skill tree:
  • Firepower is no longer associated with the Skill Point Pool
  • Each mech will have a Firepower Rating that determines the maximum nodes, per weapon tree, that you can activate
  • Layout now presents direct choices between individual stats
  • The strongest overall stats have less return than the niche stats. This allows the player to choose what is best for them given their build, playstyle, and goals
  • Many less-effective nodes have been significantly increased in return per node and maximum achievable modifiers. This is aimed to make those node choices more attractive in comparison to the most-effective nodes. This also encourages players to explore niche builds and play styles by giving them significant returns that will actually be felt in a game.
FIREPOWER
Reasoning:
  • The ability to affect your weapons via the skill tree is extremely powerful. The majority of players have stated they would allocate the majority of their points into the trees as I have them laid out. This change will remove the player's choice of investing skill points into weapon trees enables them to focus on more meaningful decisions and trade-offs within the system. They can allocate their skill points between more comparable valued benefits from the remaining trees.
  • More meaningful decisions on the weapon trees and more direct player choice between comparable benefits.
  • Separated weapon trees will no longer give an advantage to boating a specific weapon because every weapon can be modified by the same amount. This allows you to fully customize the efficiency of a mech with multiple weapon systems, making them more effective compared to boating.
How it works:
  • Each weapon will have its own tree
  • Each tree will have a maximum active node amount determined by the mech's firepower rating
  • Unlocking nodes will cost xp/gxp
  • Activating nodes will cost cbills
  • No cost for deactivating a nodes
  • Only trees associated with your build will be shown by default. The other weapon trees will be collapsed by default
  • Note: this does drastically increase the maximum potential xp sink into just the weapon trees. This can be addressed by their cost, but it also gives players something to continue investing xp into past their initial "maxed" skill tree.
MECH TREES
  • The layout I'm proposing will allow players to make direct choices between more comparably valued nodes
  • This layout does not force a player to unlock and activate undesired nodes, but rather manipulates the value of typically undesired node to transform them into something that might be considered. More desirable nodes provide less return and have a higher investment cost. Less desirable nodes have much greater return and less investment cost
  • Provides more satisfying and rewarding progress for the player
  • Allows the player to choose between many more combinations of benefits, fueling and creating greater diversity
  • Promotes niche setups that excel at many different things. For example: investing 20 points into Shock Absorbance and the Jump Jet branches will allow you to jump much better AND take zero leg damage. This is just one example of a way you can priorities your skill points to create a very unique experience for the player
  • Instead of creating specialization from choosing one tree over another, you create specialization from combining many different branches from across all trees. The player can determine how he would like to specialize.
I'd love to hear your feedback on this proposed skill tree. If you have any questions about how it handles something that I didn't explain, please ask away and I will do my best to help you understand. If you have any complaints about how this proposed system works, I'd love to have a discussion on how this can be improved or how I can put your mind to ease.

https://www.reddit.c...ockup_proposal/

Edited by Solahma, 10 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#2 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

The world was waiting for a hero, and a hero has come.

#3 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

I highly encourage anyone with questions or feedback to head over to the Reddit post. It is much easier to address individuals and maintain several conversations there :)

#4 StormFrog

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

This is much better than PGI's current approach.

#5 Anatidaephobia

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Excellent work, I've left my main comment in the reddit thread.

PGI, listen to this [wo?]man, please! A ringing endorsement from my part, to say the least!

#6 Bradigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Honestly a much more user friendly approach to the skill tree than PGI's proposed version.

Though it doesn't address the veteran versus new player, or mastered versus fresh conundrum. Which could possibly be alleviated with reducing the overall benefits you obtain from having a certain aspect fully mastered to just a 10% advantage. But even then there would be complaints, and on the other hand it would diminish the entire "meaningful decisions" aspect that both your and PGI's skill tree systems set out to accomplish.

#7 QuePan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 109 posts
  • Locationcapital district NY

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

same left my comment on the reddit post , but thanks to SOL for the hard work on this .

#8 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Best proposal for the skill system yet.

#9 Kalam Mehkar

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Best version of skill tree yet! Glad to find it here as well 'cause I couldn't upvote on reddit enough. ;)

#10 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

This is a fantastic write-up. Thank you to everyone involved who helped assemble this. I hope PGI listens to their community. Do they even realize how many people they'll lose if they don't?

#11 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

This is like, so good.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

This hits pretty much all of my recommendations. I really like it.

#13 Cybrid 0x0t2md2w

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 97 posts
  • Locationthe chewy cookie behind you

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I like this. much better for ease of use and the firepower being separate and attached to the mech does a lot of things.

#14 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostQuePan, on 10 March 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

thanks to SOL for the hard work on this .

Thank you so much for putting your free time into this. Just amazing.

That was 1000 times more professional than any video Russ has spoken in. You didn't even call the community 'cheapskates'.

Well done.

You had me at "No additional cost" for activating/deactivating a node after unlocking.

#15 Kyrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Very interesting proposal,

The node system way easier to understand and it won't take me 30 min per mech to min max the nodes. Or maybe pgi just wanted me to stop buyings mech since by making it such a grind to select my skills.

Anti boating weapons skill system is a must and you seem to have nailed the broad strokes.

Would be nice to have a Std engines Tree node that increase center tosor internal point since it just and overweight metal chuck. Maybe a delayed dead Tree for IS XL (similar to ammo explosions).

Over all I feel more confident with your proposal that the one suggested by pgi test servers.

#16 Wyald Katt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHell (aka Florida)

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

I am more for this than any other version I've seen.

#17 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

This is by far the best version of the skill tree I have seen so far, just an all out excellent proposal.

It really covers a ton of my issues with the current trees on PTS, addresses the issue of mixed weapon loadouts in a non-punitive way, gives incentive to keep grinding mechs after you "master" them.

It creates good choices for players, and it doesn't force you to buy skills you have zero use for (or can't even use in some cases).

The trees are clean and unique looking, easy to read and the bonuses are allotted in a much more logical manner balanced vs. overall value.

I really am unable to express how impressed I am with this effort, just great job man.

#18 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

I don't like it. It looks good, makes sense and would actually work. We're not allowed such things.

Seriously, though. I imagine the numbers are pliable at this point. But I do think some branches should be much shorter in a linear system. If 5-6 nodes is the high end, lesser skills like Shock Absorb and Hill Climb should be one or two nodes. I don't think people would spend five precious SPs for Shock Absorb.

Other than that, great job!

#19 - Pestilence -

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

You totally wrecked PGI silly ideas. This is how the new skill tree should look Posted Image .

#20 Anthony Albanese

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

This is exactly what I've been wanting.

This is the first proposal that addresses the root problems and ignores the surface problems that the majority have been loudly complaining about as those things like costs can be easily adjusted later.

I really hope PGI takes a serious look at this and doesn't ship the confusing tree that they have now.

Thankyou Solahma.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users