13 replies to this topic

#1 Dungeon 206

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

hey guys...

im fairly new to MWO... been playing Timberwolves with 6 lasers and its been great...
been thinking about this for a while... (my Warrant runs full laser vomit so doing this is possible...)

TBR-Dakka
should i even bother?

cheers

#2 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostDungeon 206, on 11 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

hey guys...

im fairly new to MWO... been playing Timberwolves with 6 lasers and its been great...
been thinking about this for a while... (my Warrant runs full laser vomit so doing this is possible...)

TBR-Dakka
should i even bother?

cheers

I would not. Shift over to PPC + Gauss ... once you get the timing down you will be happy.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 11 March 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

I would not. Shift over to PPC + Gauss ... once you get the timing down you will be happy.

What Crock said. There are mechs for dakka. TBR just ain't one of them.

Edited by TercieI, 11 March 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Timbers are the ultimate in mid-speed firepower. To do that at 75 tons, they need a monster engine. Monster engines and dakka don't tend to go well together because each is a heavy weight investment. We can have one, not both.

Sadly, 4 ClanTech AC 2's is funny, but not terribly effective, and underwhelming on a 75-tonner. :(

Ebon Jag can do it (dakka in general, that is) reasonably, and Night Gyr can do it better, because they have more manageable engine sizes relative to their tonnage. That trade means more weight available for firepower. In fact, the Night Gyr is specifically designed to carry moar gunz in exchange for the speed.

If you're going to do dakka on a 75-ton Omni, that's what the Gyr is for. Want to flankmaneuver the battlefield smoothly like a bossgawd of war with your fearsome arsenal? That's the Timber.

(I'd love to dakka on the Timber too, but even the Ebon does all the Timber's dakka builds better)

Edited by Virlutris, 11 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#5 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

TBR can dakka, but not really that good, not that pure. I'd suggest something like TBR-A 2x UAC5 + 4x ERML.

#6 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

In general Timber Wolves are not great ballistics platform. Due to their oversized engine, they lack the weight to boat autocannons.

OP, if you look at your build you'll see your damage ceiling is only about 600. If you have your heart set on 4 UAC2s, then consider: TBR-PRIME

You could also try also 2 UAC10 + flamers/ER small lasers or 2 UAC5 + ER medium lasers.

#7 Dungeon 206

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

thanks guys...
will shelve the idea then...

#8 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostDungeon 206, on 11 March 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

thanks guys...
will shelve the idea then...

PS .. if you do shift to PPC Gauss ... The end result should see you with 2 - ERPPC one in each Torso. Gauss in the ARM (Keep that exploding @$%@#& out of the torso) 2.5 tons of ammo and 2 JJ. If your aim is good you will get at least 400 damage a match on most matches unless you score quick kill shots on IS mechs shoulders. If your positioning is good with your aim and your team tanks for you / doesn't suck the sky can be the limit in what you can do with this mech. Just a word of warning, you can JJ side to side but this mech is not a hill humping JJ vertical to get shots type of mech. Use its 87.1 KPH to get angles and good shots on the enemy and you shall be happy. Be aware on many maps the Night Gyr and Hunchie IIC's will likely win trades against you due to the fact they have high mounts and can do low level poptarting over hill humps.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

In my experience, timberwolfs work best with one big ballistic and complimentary energy or missile weapons.
LB-20X + 4x srm
Gauss + 2x LPL/PPC
Gauss + 6-7 ML
etc

(if gauss, put it in the arm)

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 13 March 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Dungeon 206

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

hey guys thanks for the advice

i tried the going gauss (2 tons ammo) + 2x LPL + 2x erSL
really struggled with heat...

i've since switched to
gauss (3 tons ammo)
2 x erLL
2 x erML
2 x heatsinks

it has the same alpha as the LPL version, and i now have 10 more gauss shots
i'm actually finding it slightly more easy to run, struggling less with heat
and getting better scores (primarily because of the improved range from the erMLs)

any reason why this would be an inferior setup compared to the LPLs?
ive read so much about the gauss + LPL setup and how good it is

#11 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

View PostDungeon 206, on 14 March 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

hey guys thanks for the advice

i tried the going gauss (2 tons ammo) + 2x LPL + 2x erSL
really struggled with heat...

i've since switched to
gauss (3 tons ammo)
2 x erLL
2 x erML
2 x heatsinks

it has the same alpha as the LPL version, and i now have 10 more gauss shots
i'm actually finding it slightly more easy to run, struggling less with heat
and getting better scores (primarily because of the improved range from the erMLs)

any reason why this would be an inferior setup compared to the LPLs?
ive read so much about the gauss + LPL setup and how good it is

The ERLL have a really long burn time which makes you an easy target compared to LPL's. Gauss + 2LPL +1CERML is usually the go to build if you don't want to use PPC's. The heat should be better than what you're currently running. If you want a cooler running Gauss timber, you can always try the Gauss 3ton ammo + 5CERML + rest heatsinks.

#12 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

I run a dual uac10 + 4 ersmall on my timby.
It is my favourite build for the Timby, its not the most effective and other chassis can optimize the build better but I just love my Timberwolf and dakka xD
My current setup is dual uac10 using tbr-s and tbr-prime st with the 4ersmall on the arms.
Having 2jj is very useful for mobility but mainly for brawling, the dual uac10 for mid range poking and the 4 ersmall to complement your dps in a brawl.
I was able to squeeze around 5 ton of ammo (if I remember correctly) and usually by the time you run out of ammo you'll be dealing 800-1000dmg (if you make all your shots count xD)
Again, I have to stress this is not the most meta or optimize build you can make on a Timby, the gauss ppc Timberwolf performs consistently better... but if you prefer dakka and aggressive playstyle I can highly recommend this build ;)

#13 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 March 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

TBR can dakka, but not really that good, not that pure. I'd suggest something like TBR-A 2x UAC5 + 4x ERML.

I do this, but with a TBR-S instead, because I like the maneuvering provided by 5 JJs. It gets warm in a brawl but with these weapons you're better off keeping to 300-400m anyways, so personally I consider it acceptable.

#14 Tilakkam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

UAC10+UAC5+4meds - runs fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users