Gaming Laptop

24 replies to this topic

#1 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hey mech bros. Im in the market for a new laptop something with a good graphics card that will easily support this game and probably MW5. But im a broke college kid so like a $1000 max. Anybody got good suggestions to replace my potato?

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

Wrong forum for this....

Wired might give you some tips, he know's best. Also don't get a gaming Laptop for MWO; you'd be better off getting a desktop.

But you can go check out Amazon or another site like Costco or something. they have some good deals.

Edited by Scout Derek, 16 March 2017 - 11:17 PM.
advertising issue

#3 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

O ok thanks Um didnt know there was a dedicated forum idk ig move it or delete it its whatever thanks scout. Also we should drop again sometime its been awhile.

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

yeah, it's a sub forum called hardware and accessories.

And for sure, It has been awhile.

#5 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

OP No worries it gives the mods something to do

#6 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Hardware & Accessories.[/mod]

#7 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

There's some laptops on sale right now with a i7-6700HQ and a GTX 1060 6GB for about $1000 USD (they're clearing out since the i7-7700HQ is out now). Will play MWO just fine (remember that the laptop and desktop versions of the Nvidia 10 series are ~10% performance of each other)

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 16 March 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

You can get a used MSI Dominator for $1000. I got mine with GTX970 for 750 USD (used) and I love it.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 March 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#9 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

look at this Dell semi gaming laptop

[Redacted]

price is at 949 dollar and sports the Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core CPU

the GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 should be plenty for most games and MWO

just dont go crazy and set your graphical level to Ultra.

Med-high is what the GPU can handle

Edited by draiocht, 17 March 2017 - 09:06 AM.
advertising issue

#10 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Please keep the suggestions general, without linking to sales sites.

The Code of Conduct has a restriction on advertising.

#11 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostDashia, on 16 March 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Hey mech bros. Im in the market for a new laptop something with a good graphics card that will easily support this game and probably MW5. But im a broke college kid so like a $1000 max. Anybody got good suggestions to replace my potato?

With 1000 $ ?
Get a desktop/miditower for gaming and a cheap laptop (even a used one from a 2nd hand store) for working in class.
Unless you need the laptop at your college to render 3d art / work with photoshop / create musik... even an old one is enough for word / excel and most apps for plotting scientistic data into diagramms and curves.

#12 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Postdraiocht, on 17 March 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Please keep the suggestions general, without linking to sales sites.

The Code of Conduct has a restriction on advertising.

Um... there is a difference between finding a deal and showing it to somebody looking and actually advertising something. We've been posting links to deals on parts and systems here since closed beta...

Feel free to mod me however you want, but I'm going with business as usual and if it reduces the helpful content of the post you should probably reevaluate your edits.

Having said that, moving onto the actual OP query.

XoticPC tends to have good deals on gaming laptops with several brands to choose from (in case you're a brand loyalist) AND some modding options (depending on the particular system) so I tend to give their site a look when looking at laptops. Obviously if I don't find something there, I'll move onto a place like Newegg, but then you lose the modding options and generally pay a little more for the same thing.

Right at $1k is this MSI one: http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gl62m-7re-623.html

Here's the thing about MWO: it's CPU-bound. CPU counts, and CPU operations count (meaning if it gets throttled from heat, you get some bad FPS dips). So while I would definitely recommend this notebook for $1k, I would also recommend if you're serious about using this for mainly MWO that you add a thermal compound upgrade and the copper cooling upgrade. After their weird 3% cash discount, your customizations end up with the laptop costing you about $1060. Not bad for that extra cooling edge, though, if we're being honest. Pair it with a nice notebook cooler when you're at home and it'll serve you really well.

This notebook is actually on Newegg for $1 less, but again there is no option for cooling upgrades so any upgrades would need to be done by yourself and would void the warranty (where XoticPC's service does not void the warranty to my knowledge but you should double check).

Another notebook that you could look at is this open box item on Newegg, which has the advantage of a GTX 1060 over the 1050 Ti in the previously mentioned notebook: https://www.newegg.c...82E16834154446R

Overall, I think the 1060 would be better for cranking the eye candy a little bit, but 1) it's open box and 2) again, no option for cooling upgrades, so that will be a deciding factor for you.

I struggled to find other quality notebooks with an i7 7700 and GTX 1060. Seems like Dell's Inspiron Gaming 15 comes with less at the $1k price point. HP's comparable Omen system also costs $1250.

As a general thought: there are two excellent times to get the best deal on a gaming laptop: August, which is back-to-school time, and Black Friday (where I got $300 off my Gigabyte gaming laptop, which at the time was a pretty boss machine with an i7 4710MQ and GTX 870 3GB).

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

http://mwomercs.com/conduct

Laptops listed have NVIDIA GPU in them which would be related in the last part, related businesses or websites, since the forum has links back to Nvidia. So Nvidia no longer wants PGI to encourage players to purchase products w/Nvidia components? Of course, AMD users could be miffed but then a player needs either a decent Intel or AMD CPU with a decent NVIDIA or AMD GPU to actually run MWO, which benefits PGI since a player who can not play MWO will not purchase mechpacks!!!! (or MC)!!

ADVERTISING

Players must not engage in the advertising of any third-party content that is not beneficial and not related to MWO or PGI services or any related businesses, organizations, or websites.

Edit as needed. Never been suspended though. Wait, it is against CoC to discuss moderation but is it against CoC to discuss CoC sections and their meaning?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 March 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 17 March 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

As a general thought: there are two excellent times to get the best deal on a gaming laptop: August, which is back-to-school time, and Black Friday (where I got $300 off my Gigabyte gaming laptop, which at the time was a pretty boss machine with an i7 4710MQ and GTX 870 3GB).

It's also where I got a Decently priced laptop. I have to run it at lower resolutions for smooth gameplay, but other than that it runs it fine.... I can play at 1980x1080 on it, but not guarteed 60+ FPS, but moreover 40~ FPS so on.

And this is one that has a i7-6700HQ; Tends to get too hot at times so I try and run it in cold places to let it run better.

#15 Toddasaurus

• Pip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

I've been using an Acer Predator 15 w/GTX980m and i7-6700 and 16Gb ram. It has treated me well for the past year and a half (got it right when they came out). Looks like Acer is putting in 1060's and up GPUs instead of the old 9-series mobile GPUs now. I suppose they're still a little above $1k, but just wanted to say mine has treated me well. All maps are above 40fps, and mostly at 60fps @ 1080p w/almost everything on highest settings. The cooling is also great, as I'm able to play for 4+ hours at a time without any performance loss due to heat.

I used to be anti-laptop when it comes to PC gaming, as I'd always build my own rigs. Don't get me wrong, that is still great to do and for many people it is the only way to go; but, gaming laptops have their quirks. I love being able to move it around with me in the house while playing, also going to family/friends' homes without breaking down and setting up all that hardware. For me, I think gaming laptops are the way to go.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

#16 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostToddasaurus, on 17 March 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

I've been using an Acer Predator 15 w/GTX980m and i7-6700 and 16Gb ram. It has treated me well for the past year and a half (got it right when they came out). Looks like Acer is putting in 1060's and up GPUs instead of the old 9-series mobile GPUs now. I suppose they're still a little above $1k, but just wanted to say mine has treated me well. All maps are above 40fps, and mostly at 60fps @ 1080p w/almost everything on highest settings. The cooling is also great, as I'm able to play for 4+ hours at a time without any performance loss due to heat.

I used to be anti-laptop when it comes to PC gaming, as I'd always build my own rigs. Don't get me wrong, that is still great to do and for many people it is the only way to go; but, gaming laptops have their quirks. I love being able to move it around with me in the house while playing, also going to family/friends' homes without breaking down and setting up all that hardware. For me, I think gaming laptops are the way to go.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

They're very mobile I agree. Just make sure to keep the vent clear when playing and you can play on the "go" as they say :)

#17 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostAlreech, on 17 March 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

With 1000 $ ?
Get a desktop/miditower for gaming and a cheap laptop (even a used one from a 2nd hand store) for working in class.
Unless you need the laptop at your college to render 3d art / work with photoshop / create musik... even an old one is enough for word / excel and most apps for plotting scientistic data into diagramms and curves.

That used to be the case for better performance, but ever since Nvidia started putting desktop GPU chips into laptops, the performance gap has closed significantly. I actually priced this out, building a desktop with an i5 7600K + GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4 ram, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 600W PSU (a good one) etc comes out to be ~$1700 cdn. At the same time, a laptop with an i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060, 16 GB DDR4 ram, 256GB SSD +1TB HDD, 1920x1080 120hz screen with Gsync also costs ~$1700 cdn. Consider that the desktop 1060 and the laptop 1060 is the exact same chip (apart from the laptop one underclocked ~100mhz) you end up with a 5-10% performance difference, that the Gsync enabled screen would keep smooth for you anyways.

#18 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Browse all your local Pawn Shops, thats where you will find the best deals. Well, outside of buying one secondhand from another student maybe. I was able to find a Sager 17inch Core i7 gaming one that retailed for like $2200 for $850 with a bunch of accessories and stuff.

#19 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 18 March 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

That used to be the case for better performance, but ever since Nvidia started putting desktop GPU chips into laptops, the performance gap has closed significantly. I actually priced this out, building a desktop with an i5 7600K + GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4 ram, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 600W PSU (a good one) etc comes out to be ~$1700 cdn. At the same time, a laptop with an i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060, 16 GB DDR4 ram, 256GB SSD +1TB HDD, 1920x1080 120hz screen with Gsync also costs ~$1700 cdn. Consider that the desktop 1060 and the laptop 1060 is the exact same chip (apart from the laptop one underclocked ~100mhz) you end up with a 5-10% performance difference, that the Gsync enabled screen would keep smooth for you anyways.

For Some reason I always felt that the SSD isn't needed; moreover you may take longer to load a few things, but you get more room for games and such, that's how mine is, with a HDD 1TB. Takes about a minute or two for MWO to get booted up either from a fresh bootup or already running.

#20 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 March 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

For Some reason I always felt that the SSD isn't needed; moreover you may take longer to load a few things, but you get more room for games and such, that's how mine is, with a HDD 1TB. Takes about a minute or two for MWO to get booted up either from a fresh bootup or already running.

I used to feel that way too, then I put a SSD into my computer and never looked back. A few years ago SSD's were quite expensive for their storage capability, but nowadays, 256GB SSD's are pretty cheap, and so is a 2TB HDD for additional media storage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users